Topic: Internationalize widgets now?

Gingerbeardman kinda sparked a thought with his new time widget. http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=1948
To internationalize or not?

Currently Chumby is only in the US, and few friends outside the US have it.

So as developers, should we now take a step back and evaluate what we have done? Before the new code gets old, go back and correct the short sightedness we wrote into these applications?
Also as developers, set a standard in place to make sure certain applications follow a basic use. IE all clock/calendars must be capable of US and European date/time standards. Remember we (US) are the ones that are different, the rest of the world standardized a long time ago. Some of my unique clocks now have a very localized market, what use is cool clock or calendar if you have to think about reading it because the digital date is in the wrong order.

Also what to do with widget placement within Chumby website? While I love Gingerbeardman's CEEFAX viewer, probably only a handful of people even know what it is since it's a UK (maybe EU) localized technology. And I saw a French News Widget. How are these applications going to fit into the grand scheme of things? Are they going to get lost along with 110's of other widgets that fall into the same broad category.

I think Chumby has intention to sell outside the US. But this takes time I understand. So lets start planning now.

MyridoM

I'm functioning on 3 hrs of sleep, so if the thoughts are not fully fleshed out please excuse.. smile

When someone annoys me, it takes 42 muscles in my face to frown...but it takes only 4 muscles to extend my arm and b**ch-slap you!
http://haunterofthenight.com/ * new blog location

Re: Internationalize widgets now?

Personally, I think we should.

However, for date and time widgets, I would expect the control panel (read: system) to take care of the details. In PHP, for example, you set a locale and then each use of the date and time functions is adjusted according to your location variation from GMT, perhaps even including daylight savings time.

In my development experience this is a pretty awkward hurdle to overcome and should not be left until the last minute.

For text and languages, I'm not sure of the best way for Chumby and Flash. In past I have used an application specific function to request strings that are then returned depending on the locale.

So, I guess we need some way of the widget knowing the local, perhaps and early version of which can be gained from the Time Zone setting?

matt