Topic: Wireless Signal Strength

Would be great if I could see the signal strength for my wireless connection in real time (like my cell or Tivo do). Looks like I have some dead spots in my house!
- Rich

Dallas TX
Chumby1 Birthday 11/1/07

Re: Wireless Signal Strength

I know that's on the list of things to do - not sure where, though.

One thing you can do is point a browser at your chumby (you can find the IP from the info screen).

There will be a link for "wireless status", and it will return something like this:

Wireless Stats

rausb0    RT73 WLAN  ESSID:"westannex" 
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.427 GHz  Access Point: 00:06:25:FA:8D:99   
          Bit Rate=9 Mb/s   
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Link Quality=75/100  Signal level:-56 dBm  Noise level:-79 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

Inter-| sta-|   Quality        |   Discarded packets               | Missed | WE
face | tus | link level noise |  nwid  crypt   frag  retry   misc | beacon | 19
rausb0: 0000   75.  200   177        0      0      0      0      0        0

It automatically updates once a second...which allows you, in a manner of sorts, to get real-time signal stats from the chumby. It probably wouldn't be too hard to hack up a script that throws this info up on the screen using the fbwrite and sed/awk facilities on the device, so as you rotate it around or move it (to the extent that the power cord allows you to) you can see real-time the output on the LCD screen itself, instead of on a remote browser.

This is a bit of a hack; I think Duane was referring to "the list of things to do" as in, it's on our list of things to do for the production release software that's all shiny, pretty and easy for everyone to use.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

4 (edited by iBrent 2007-11-11 22:17:17)

Hi n5csu,

I was able to create a widget that could read the html page that bunnie is referring too, though for the moment it only works if running from my local machine where I wrote the thing (not running on the chumby itself)!

Basically, I can load in the page from the chumby by using it's ip address on my local network. I can parse the info and display the wireless signal strength, network id, and bit rate. It checks the html page every second, about the same time it refreshes on the device.

Of course the problem is when I load it onto the chumby, it doesn't see it's own ip.

Maybe Duane or someone has an idea of how to read the web server on the chumby from a widget on the same chumby. I'm pretty sure it's a sandbox security issue. I've tried to read http://localhost/cgi-bin/wifi, or http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/wifi, but no luck. I tried to write a crossdomain.xml file to the chumby via ssh, but it won't let me and I think that's part of the actual chumby design.

If I (or the community here) can figure out the localhost thing, then I'd be happy to get this widget up and running.

iBrent

Thanks for the feed, guys!
- Rich

Dallas TX
Chumby1 Birthday 11/1/07

A working wireless strength indicator in the control panel would be great. I've found most of my channel update issues have been due to my wireless being down.... move chumby to other side of desk, hey it works!