Topic: In the Kitchen

do you think Chumby would function well as a recipe reader/organizer in the kitchen?  Or do you think the screen is too small for something like this.

I am also assuming it is possible to access my own database of recipes from a widget and db on my server running in my house rather than through the Chumby site.

Re: In the Kitchen

It's probably not ideal for it, but one could certainly put together a widget for this.

If you don't want to upload a widget to our server, there is a mechanism to run it from a USB thumbdrive.  The information on how to do this is on the wiki.

The two problems with a Chumby recipe widget would be:
* dirty hands (try scrolling the screen with wet/sticky fingers)
* the power cord -- in my kitchen, the recipe book/cards move around, espcially if there are mutliple cooks.

In some ways a Nokia 770/800/810 would be better suited for this.

Wayne

wayn3w wrote:

In some ways a Nokia 770/800/810 would be better suited for this.

How does Nokia solve the "sticky fingers" issue  smile ?

5 (edited by wayn3w 2007-12-12 11:13:29)

You can wash the stylus in the dishwasher.  Last I heard, Chumbys were not yet dishwasher-safe. tongue

Actually, the power "tether" might help prevent the "accidentally dropped into the sink" issue... if it were plugged into a wall away from the sink.  But we digress...

i think that duane is saying in a friendly way "what does n800 have to do with anything?"

the discussion was about a possible widget.

i know... you're already working on your response. skip the flame war, please.

sow your seeds of discontent elsewhere. internettablettalk.com has some active nxx discussion.

Actually, I have no issue with discussions of other devices, including the N800.

We like them - they're not-so-distant cousins of the chumby in many ways.  The hardware is closed, of course, but it's an interesting experiment on the part of Nokia to release a device with an Open software stack.  It also has made life a bit easier for us since so many of the binaries from these devices also run on the chumby.

We *had* a 770 around here, but bunnie got his hands on it, and, as with anything electronic that bunnie touches, that means it got disassembled and its parts scattered.

I think a recipe reader would be an awesome widget.

Yes there is the sticky fingers issue, but that issue has ruined many cookbooks in my house in the past, so we try to keep our fingers as sticky-free as possible.

Well, couldn't you just shove a screen protector for a PDA on the Chumby? Same screen size.

If you create a recipe reader widget
I PROMISE to wash my hands...

http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/Food … of+the+Day

This is a great widget, so whoever does this should aim for something similar.

I keep debating this. The problem for me is who will provide the Recipe data?

When you start reusing data from web sites that are ad-revenue based, legal troubles are not far behind.

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

Way back when, my objections were that using a Chumby to look up a recipe, be able to scroll around a long recipe and  switch between a couple active recipes would be tough.  I made the comparison to the Nokia because it was more effective here -- as a web browser I can bring up a couple of recipes at the same time. I would find it hard to do that with the Chumby.

A recipe of the day widget would be great, especially if there was a way I could "save" the recipe for later retrieval , such as to bookmark or print it out.

wayn3w