Topic: USA Today review

http://usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwa … umby_N.htm

It broadcasts internet radio? Cool. wink

Most of the comments from readers are negative. Wonder what kind of demographic the USA Today tech column has if not one person can see it being useful.... or even that it's not for them but that other people might find it useful. And a few of them feel that you'll be broke if you buy one.

"Well, when my five year old, $3 clock (minus radio, thank you) quits on me, I'll trot on down to the Dollar Store and buy another."
"It is dumb, another dumb gadget. I am sure someone will buy it and say how cool it is, LMAO."
"yeah, why am I broke? the economy is rotten but look at my new gadget."

I guess you can say the same things about MP3 players too. Well, when my walkman breaks I'll just trot to the store and buy a new one.

2 (edited by Steve Tomlin 2008-02-28 21:35:56)

Re: USA Today review

Of course I want everyone to love Chumby as much as we do (if they only knew how hard we're working and how passionate we are about making this great!), but totally not worried about any of the quibbles in the press -- just delighted to be getting the awareness and buzz.  And, for the most part, all the press we've received is generally pretty positive.  I mean how many new devices even make the cut at all and get reviewed by this many major news outlets?  Our biggest challenge isn't some reporter with a grumble or two -- it's even having most mainstream people know we exist.  So pretty happy overall with the press response -- and some really good articles still to come that should be strongly positive, so stay tuned :^)

I agree that most people who haven't experienced a chumby or who haven't taken the time to grasp why we're different and where we're headed are going to be sort of puzzled -- there have been plenty of skeptics from the beginning.  We're not going to appeal to everyone right out of the chute but they'll get it eventually.  Chumby just keeps getting better, so time is on our side.  Remember that many people rode horses for a long time after cars were invented :^)

I learned of the Chumby today because of that USA Today article, and bought one after doing some light websearches on it.  I have been envisioning (and yearning for) a product like this for quite some time. I'm also an early adopter for new techie things.  So this is right up my alley.  Excited to soon be receiving my Chumby.  Will ship soon right?   right?!  ;-)

chumbwumba

oh i should have added that i was on a business trip to *san diego* of all places.  Saw the USA Today article [someone left it on a chair] in Terminal 1 of the San Diego airport.  my lucky day smile

chumbwumba

I agree with his criticism of the time zone setup screen.  Took forever to do and it was hard to use.  All I want to do is set the clock, ya know?  Just give me a list of time zones like every other application on the planet.