Topic: My Proposed Fix to the Advancing Channels Issue

As Duane pointed out in an earlier post, the problem with Advancing channels is not taking away the controls from the widget. For example using tilt to advance to the next channel would take that control away from the widget.

Here's my fix. I think it's simple and addresses these issues, maybe I'm missing something let me know.

a   Add a "Splash Screen" to the Control Panel. This would be triggered by the button on top.

b   The Splash Screen could display the next Widget, the Playing Widget whatever. 

c   Also there would be a button to go to the Control Panel Proper.

d   Now if showing the Splash Screen the Button on top was hit, it would then advance to the Next Widget.

So in effect if one was watching a channel and wanted to go to the next widget they would hit the button twice. Bingo. Right?

This seems like an easy fix, in fact the wiki has info on how to install a new Control Panel. I'm not a programmer or Flasher so this is just rambling, but I would love to know if this was possible.

Re: My Proposed Fix to the Advancing Channels Issue

We have a prototype in Engineering that does something very similar to that.

Duane Im curious if it's anything like what i suggested in the other related thread-> http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=647

Well, the big trick here is creating a system that doesn't require too much hidden knowledge and "magic" timing - anything we do must be readily discoverable without anyone reading a manual.  While many approaches are easy once you know them, the problem is figuring them out in the first place.

This means "press and hold for two seconds" or "press and tilt" and things of that ilk aren't very good candidates.

As a historical aside, there was a big debate early on in the product design about the use of the switch to open the Control Panel in the first place - it was felt by many that it was "hidden functionality", and we weren't sure whether people were going to figure it out.  So far, so good.

Now that we have units in the field, and see how real people are actually using the devices and what's important to them to be able to do quickly, we are looking closely at how to evolve the chumby's behavior over time to accomodate them.

Awesome! Thanks Duane.

I'm totally excited about the Chumby and it's Future. You and the Chumby Team are doing a great job!

It's inspiring to see these types of projects get to this level.

I was thinking of writing a daemon that would monitor the accelerometer independently of the flashplayer.  If I slap the Chumby on the right, I'd have the Chumby advance the widget.  If I slap it on the left, I'd have it go backwards, or show the clock, or something.

But I haven't actually tried to do this yet.  I don't know where to read the accelerometer just yet.  I see there is a "PainThreshold" setting, though.  *snicker*

Also, I don't know how to advance the widgets programatically yet.  And, yes, if an app needed a slap on the side of the Chumby as part of its normal operation, this would interfere with that sort of user input.

Phil

A configurable top button might be nice. *hint* *hint* For those who are a little more advanced... I'd love to be able to set mine up so I just tap the top and it moves to the next widget in the channel. Tap and hold to stick this widget. Double tap for the control panel. Etc...

Just sayin. wink

Duane wrote:

We have a prototype in Engineering that does something very similar to that.

Not to necropost, but how it the prototype playing out?

markf wrote:

A configurable top button might be nice. *hint* *hint* For those who are a little more advanced... I'd love to be able to set mine up so I just tap the top and it moves to the next widget in the channel. Tap and hold to stick this widget. Double tap for the control panel. Etc...

Just sayin. wink

This is exactly what I hoped the chumby could do... I find myself going into the control panel to change widgets all the time and would love to be able to easily change widgets and channels.

GoodDoctor wrote:

Not to necropost, but how it the prototype playing out?

The feature is in the hands of Product Management to determine if/when/how if gets rolled into the product.