Topic: YouTube search/filter

Would love to have ability to set a search key word (ie Daily Show, Stupid Pet Tricks, Ron Paul, etc.) to filter the videos that are presented on the Chumby widget.

Chumby Fan in AZ

Re: YouTube search/filter

or if you could log in to a youtube user account and play from their favorites list.

up...

Yeah, I think a youtube widget with more feature support in general would definitely be nice...

agreed.

6 (edited by lo_toad 2008-01-29 12:23:56)

Hi,

With the sandbox on the chumby, does this mean that all youtube video data has to come through a proxy (with a crossdomain.xml) or direct from chumby.com?

Maybe this is the reason for the limited functionality of the youtube widget and videos that aren't updated very often?

Please shoot me down if I'm wrong.

I think flvs are like images and can be pulled

Hi  jvc,

But what I mean (Im not making myself very clear!) is that all the flv data will have to go through the chumby.com(or 3rd party) servers first, you cant just get it direct from youtube to your chumby.

When everyone wants different videos, instead of the few currently offered, its not possible to cache the data and the bandwidth will be skyhigh!

Again, I could be wrong.

9 (edited by jvc 2008-01-29 21:52:23)

Yes the xml data would have to be proxied to communicate with YouTube but once you have the path to the flv file you should be able to access it directly without the crossdomain.xml files restricting you.

If you need to proxy the YouTube xml communication without using your own server you can use something like Yahoo Pipes:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=6282#p6282

Hi, thanks for the advice jvc, glad I was wrong!