Topic: Chumby VS GP2X

Hi
Searching on the web the last year i found an interesting device: the GP2X http://www.gp2x.co.uk , is linux based, aand:

Dual ARM9 CPUs
64MB RAM
Touch Screen
TV Out
Support for SD / SDHC upto 32GB
Runs Linux & is Open Source

The price is similar to chumby's price.

I need one platform similar to chumby or GP2X for a navigation device prototype ASAP , My question is:

When can I buy a chumby?
I 'd already send my mail for availability notify, but i need to know how many days? months? i need to wait..

Best Regards

2 (edited by HammyHavoc 2008-03-18 20:25:01)

Re: Chumby VS GP2X

If you need a navigation device, go for a stand alone, they are considerably cheaper now and come at less of a price.

GP2X is rubbish, it's more of a half assed attempt at a pocket emulator, the manufacturer's have now gone bust so it no longer has much of a support or following.

Chumby however is not suitable for GPS because of the specification.

Music Tames The Savage Beast

As does PHP and Perl.

HammyHavoc wrote:

GP2X is rubbish, it's more of a half assed attempt at a pocket emulator, the manufacturer's have now gone bust so it no longer has much of a support or following.

I thought GamePark, the manufacture of the G32 is gone, but GamePark Holdings, maker of the GP2X, is still around.

They are, and the GP2X is not rubbish. I have a friend who has one, and couldn't be happier with it.

I'm working a lot with chumby, i was sold my GP2X smile I love my chumby, is perfect as comercial project base. without special PCB shape or specific buttons.

cicamargoba wrote:

I'm working a lot with chumby, i was sold my GP2X smile I love my chumby, is perfect as comercial project base. without special PCB shape or specific buttons.

I actually bought a chumby first then a GP2X....
But now that I've cracked the touchscreen on the GP2X trying to disassemble it I'm leaning towards your way of thinking smile

Full schematics, easy to take apart is doing it for me so far smile