Re: "Stub" server scheduled to go live on Wednesday, February 20 2013

jay1963 wrote:

I did not realize what was going on, but of course noticed the very nice clock.  For the present, I will be happy to use my Chumby as a clock.  I hope to be able to get FM Radio PBS in the future, since I can not get is on a radio here in the mountains of North Caarolina.

Even on the stub, you should still be able to add your local public station's stream to your Chumby.

1. Press the top bar

2. Tap "Music"

3. Scroll down to "My Streams", select it, and tap "Go To"

4. Tap "New"

5. Enter one of the following in the URL field:

6. Tap "Done"

7. Repeat 4, 5, and 6 to add multiple streams

8. Select your stream and tap the Play button

9. Tap "Done"

10. Tap "Done" again

11. Press the top bar to go back to the clock while your music plays!

Duane wrote:

All of the devices support iheartradio except the I8.  It's a Control Panel thing, not a widget.

If it's not showing up, you might have to reboot.

So this is there for an I8 running C8 software?

I can confirm that streaming radio does work fine on an I8 running C8 firmware.

If you are interested in streaming, you may want to check out this thread: Streaming Radio - Made a Little Easier about how I do it.

jay1963 wrote:

I did not realize what was going on, but of course noticed the very nice clock.  For the present, I will be happy to use my Chumby as a clock.  I hope to be able to get FM Radio PBS in the future, since I can not get is on a radio here in the mountains of North Caarolina.

http://old.wncw.org/media/Misc/128K.m3u

You should be able to get WNCW through this link. I've not been on the forum for a while, but if the "my streams" function is working, the link should work through there.

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

Duane wrote:

As of 2/21 (21/2 for you Europeans) 7:10pm PST, there are 42,402 devices hitting the server.

Now that the stub server has been up for a few months, how many devices are in use currently?

I've cleared the server logs that track all unique hits, but at this point, 45,344 devices have reauthorized since the stub server went online.  It's likely there are a few more devices that have not rebooted since then, and thus haven't reauthorized, but my guess at this point that that's under 1,000

Have you any idea how many of this devices come with zurks USB firmware?

sky123 wrote:

From Zurk's sourceforge, there are 126 downloads of all of the versions combined, or 126 people keeping up with Zurk's frequent release schedule.

sky123 wrote:

about 12,416 total to date. of course multiple people could be downloading newer versions and some households have more than one chumby.
stats are here :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/fi … 2013-04-21

There are also people like me who download and save each new version of Zurk's software "just in case" but don't actually use it.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

There are also people like me who download and save each new version of Zurk's software "just in case" but don't actually use it.

<-- guilty!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Did something change with the firmware on the C8?  While in nightmode, the C8 would show when the next alarm was, with the option to skip it.  The other night our power went out and I had to reboot my C8.  That night when I went to bed, I noticed nightmode did not display the next alarm on the screen and it has not come back.  Did something change?

Nothing has changed.  Please check that the alarms are still there and enabled.  Let me know what you discover.

That behavior is not in the firmware, but rather in the Control Panel, and I have not deployed a new one.

Duane wrote:

Nothing has changed.  Please check that the alarms are still there and enabled.  Let me know what you discover.

That behavior is not in the firmware, but rather in the Control Panel, and I have not deployed a new one.

The alarms have been working fine.  Just not displayed in night mode like they use to be.

kgeissler wrote:
Duane wrote:

The alarms have been working fine.  Just not displayed in night mode like they use to be.

Rebooted my c8 again and now it is back to normal.  Some things I noticed.  For the last week when it wasn't working, when you went to the control panel, the 6 icons were in a straight row, as opposed to the 2 rows of 3 icons when it was working normal.  Almost as if the screen resolution got screwed up somehow....really weird.

191 (edited by DJArty 2013-10-01 12:37:54)

So...
Duane Can you make final statistic - finalize information about max/mid/min load of inetchannel (on start or average day), avg. monthly traffic, server based engine, size of storage needed for Chumby infrastructure etc. 
Looks like nothing changed from February so may be need technical help or something..
(all I see in thread: 25000 devices and ~5M/bit load on start.. and thats all? Don't think so.)

Not exactly sure what you're asking for,

The current stub system has 83,590 unique devices that have authorized since the system was brought online in February. It has a sustained outbound load of 2MBit/sec with no bursting or appreciable variance in load over day or week periods.  There is no appreciable storage requirement since it's basically serving static files and/or providing authentication services for third parties (mainly the music services).

193 (edited by DJArty 2013-10-02 07:33:00)

Ok. Tnx.
And how must rize channel load if open full service with all plugins?
May be possible to make some parts on one server, some data on other.
I have Chumby 8 and only clock (+music) plugin. Also have my little home linux server with normal inet chnl greater more  then 5 M/bit. May be i can give some help to approach the moment of full start? Ofcourse its not like payed servers but uptime good (24/7) and chnl too.
Problems only around server and channel or copyright and something else?

Hi! Thanks for all your work.  My Insignia 3.5 worked fine until yesterday.  It keeps getting stuck downloading the control panel during reboot.  Any suggestions for fixing would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

I'm not seeing any problems on the server - I've rebooted my devices and they seem to be working - anyone else having this problem?

c8 and c1 both working fine here.

chumbyfan29, try moving your insignia closer to your wireless and/or reboot your wireless router, sometimes local network issues cause problems .

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I just rebooted my Insignia and it downloaded the control panel fine. Did you recently make any changes to the placement of it, or maybe drop it? If you did drop it, this can dislodge the internal WiFi card and you'll need to open it up to fix it.

Diamaunt and nathanm, thanks for the quick reply.  I'll try bringing it closer to the wifi router.  it's seeing the signal pretty well.  But now it's saying chumby.com is unreachable.

Meant to also thank Duane, of course!  Bringing the device closer to the router fixed it.  The control panel immediately and quickly downloaded.  Than ks for the quick trouble shooting.  Where are users downloading other clocks and apps?

the stub service doesn't provide for other widgets, this is expected to change very soon.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.