Re: "Stub" server scheduled to go live on Wednesday, February 20 2013

I'm having the same issue with Pandora as another poster is.  When I go into Pandora for some reason I'm getting a Brady Bunch album cover but my station is playing my music ok.   Before I go any further I'm not into the Brady Bunch music scene.  I cannot click thumbs up or thumbs down and the X button does not do anything.  I have to end up pulling the plug and rebooting to get out of Pandora and get the music to stop.

sdan451 wrote:

I'm having the same issue with Pandora as another poster is.  When I go into Pandora for some reason I'm getting a Brady Bunch album cover but my station is playing my music ok.   Before I go any further I'm not into the Brady Bunch music scene.  I cannot click thumbs up or thumbs down and the X button does not do anything.  I have to end up pulling the plug and rebooting to get out of Pandora and get the music to stop.

Did you try re-starting your Chumby? It will work with the new server, but Pandora seems to need a re-start to work correctly with some Chumbys.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

You can also hit the top button to exit Pandora.

C8 self-rebooted few mins ago. Lost localisation (not sure how it (localisation) was implemented, C8 was bought from Russian reseller).
Really miss weather widget.
Anyway great job Duane keeping Chumby alive.

80 (edited by sdan451 2013-02-21 06:33:08)

My Chumby 8 is on the new server and when I hit the button on top it does allow me to exit but the music keeps playing until I pull the plug and reboot.

Well the music is *supposed* to keep playing when you exit the music screen. On a chumby, you don't have to keep staring at the music screen just to hear music.

When you exit the music source, you should see a green "note" icon (C8) on the top that lets your control the music.

We're currently at 36,419 chumbys hitting the server.

We've uncovered a few more leeches - a French blog, a handful of Japanese sites.

It turns out the Russians were also leeching some Javascript from us.  That will turn out to have been a *very* bad idea.

Duane,

When am I suppose to see the green "note" icon?  When I hit the top button it takes me to the "MUSIC" menu and I don't see the green note icon on the top.  I do have some good news though.  The Brady Bunch album art is now gone and the correct album art is now working so that part seems to be working although I still cannot thumbs up or down.  Also the X screen button on Pandora is still not functioning.

I have a usb drive that has music on it and when I'm playing that music and hit the top button the "music note" icon shows at the top of the screen but it's not working on Pandora.

Thanks for your help

Duane wrote:

It turns out the Russians were also leeching some Javascript from us.  That will turn out to have been a *very* bad idea.

I just love the way you think. smile

Duane wrote:

Is there a chance we get to see the results of your "plans" for the Russians? It sounds like fun smile

And, btw, is it normal to get "No profile supplied" from time to time now?

I'm thinking something like:

window.onload = function() {
  window.location = "http://www.fsb.ru";
}

I believe in keeping things local,  don't  you?

@ sdan451 - can you reenter the Pandora panel while the music is playing and control it there?

As to the Brady Bunch album cover, you might be shocked to learn that we don't host Brady Bunch album covers here, so whatever you got, it came from Pandora.  We don't touch that data going either way - we just sign the requests. What might have happened is that the song might have been on the soundtrack for one of the movies - I've seen that happen a few times.

I am not able to read Russian, but according to the bits i can read out of google translator this redirection looks adequate smile

r1vver wrote:

And, btw, is it normal to get "No profile supplied" from time to time now?

That appears to be a bug - I'll look into that one when I get a chance.  It looks like one of the server requests may be failing.

Will there be a point where you will give the "all clear" or some notice that all Chumby-based devices should be on the "stub"? One of the three devices I own have not made the switch.

Also, I have a couple of new I8s (x2) in storage that I hope to bring online at some point. Have we discussed how that process changes now?

Got the clock and calendar on both of my Chumby 8 devices. The date is presented in funny (American) format with month first and slash between the month and date. The week in calendar starts with Sunday...

Well at the time being I switched to zurk's offline sw to have my clock and local temperature displayed when I wake up. At least I know if I should wear long johns on the way to work :-)

BTW, I am ready to test the next version when it arrives, keep up the good work.

@Kurtois - if you reboot the last device, does it switch?

The new I8s should work.

For the curious:
http://files.chumby.com/graph2013-02-21.png

The abrupt changes and peaks are me altering things - for instance, the big peak is me setting up the "reboot me" widget for devices that needed it, and the peak is the result of those devices reloading the cache.  The little drop later is me blocking leeches. The earlier rise from 3Mb to 4.5 Mb was addressing a redirect issue for some devices.  The shallow dip is due to devices in the US going into and out of night mode.  The slow slope downward is devices reauthorizing (about 20% so far).

are you using the 4GB  linode at the fremont dc ? $160/month ?

No, this particular machine is a 2G.  There are other machines, some not at Linode.

97 (edited by demarks51 2013-02-21 12:57:14)

@oh3nwq: Month, Day and Year is not *funny*. It is the way Americans express our dates mostly. It seems logical to me. What month are you talking about then what day of that month and then what year you are in? Can you explain why others think this is funny? I would say Chumby is an American product BUT it was manufactured in China. Please pass the soy sauce!
Oh BTW weeks DO begin with Sunday (the first day of the week). Saturday is the 7th day and Sunday the first day. It's been that way since creation. Have they changed that in Europe for some reason?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Hmmm, I smell a flamewar a-brewin'

@demarks51
As for funny or not, a very, very large percentage of the people in the world prefer to express dates as 21 February 2013, rather than the American habit of saying February 21, 2013. Nothing wrong with that. As for the calendar issue, maybe the Europeans just prefer to end their week with a two day "holiday" rather than Americans who prefer to start their week with a day off and then end it the same way.

Duane, I have a question about the single widget. Is it possible for you to set it to timeout automatically?

Expanding on the "Mixing local widgets into a channel" topic in the wiki, I found that I could add profile.xml to the /mnt/storage directory on my Chumby, along with storing copies of my two most used widgets there. Then, when I reload the channel, I get my widgets in the channel.

I can force the channel to cycle, by starting with the second widget. It will then move on to widget three. After that, go back to the "official" widget and, of course, get stuck there.

Obviously, I don't know enough to know what would happen to your server load and your code if you forced your widget to timeout after a minute or two, so the next widget would be displayed (if there was one either on the Chumby or on a USB drive). Or, if there was just the single widget, it would stay there, I assume. But, if it could be done without increasing your overhead, that would really be nice...