Topic: I heart Radio Question

There is a new station in LA advertising they are now on Iheartradio.
This is odd because they are not owned by the Borg (Clear Channel).

So since I can't get it well at my home, it's a weak AM talk station, I looked on the Iheart widget in Chumby, but it's not listed in the Los Angeles group.

I power cycled Chumby and it's still not there.
It hasn't been added to the chumby release? 

I looked on KABC.com

The link is
http://www.iheart.com/live/5335/?autoplay=true
which opens a web page that plays immediately.

or

http://kabc.com/article.asp?id=1945308

Which opens up a page with a link.  Clicking that link opens a flash player in a separate window.

http://player.streamtheworld.com/_playe … l/?sid=966
Which also plays immediately.

Is it normal for the whole content of Iheartradio to update in Chumby, or does someone have to refresh that, or add new streams manually.

2 (edited by bobsz 2012-08-08 01:23:12)

Re: I heart Radio Question

iheart radio on the Chumby widget just shows a small percentage of the iheart stations you can find online. I'm sure iheart would rather have you listen online so you have to see their ads. I think listening via your browser lets them target some ads for your location, but that's just a guess.

I don't think Chumby has anything to do with the choice of stations on the iheart widget. And I don't think iheart considers the "newness" of the stations or their marketing. I'm in New York, and we have a "sister station" to your KABC. We have WABC. It's a mega-powerful AM station, on the air for a long time. But it's never been available on iheart on the Chumby.

I think the easiest thing in situations like this is to avoid iheart and just put your station in MyStreams. You can usually find the direct link to the stream someplace online. I can tell you more about that if you want, but I'm rambling. (Sorry, but I love web radio.) Anyway, the direct stream for KABC is at:

http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/ … CAMAAC.pls

It's an aac stream, and the sound is great for talk radio. If you want to hear the East Coast talk version our WABC, it's at-

The night programming is exactly the same- Red-eye Radio right now. But the daytime would sure be different for you- gritty radio veteran Don Imus in our drive time. And there's Bob Grant on Sunday afternoons, one of the earliest "confrontational" talkers. He got his start replacing the infamous Joe Pine on your KABC in 1964!

bobsz,

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but as someone else who loves internet radio, can you tell me what hardware you use to listen (besides a Chumby)? I have a Grace Mondo and I love it! I added a bluetooth transmitter so I can send the signal to a proper stereo when I want more volume than the table top radio can deliver. My Infocast 8 (with Chumby 8 firmware) handles music duties when I am working on projects in the garage. Just curious what others are using. A desktop or laptop seem a bit cumbersome to use as internet radios.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

FWIW, I use a Sangean WFR-20
http://www.sangean.com/products/product.asp?mid=24

Brian

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

Iheartradio has been adding many stations and services that are not available on the Chumby Iheart widget. While I would love to have all of those stations available via the widget, Chumby is by far the most economical internet radio. I have three Infocast 3.5s, and the cost for all three is less than the price of one Sangean WFR-20.

6 (edited by Steevo 2012-08-08 16:06:02)

bobsz wrote:

Anyway, the direct stream for KABC is at:

It's an aac stream, and the sound is great for talk radio.

Thanks!
I put that in live streams on an infocast 3.5 and when I click play it starts then goes to idle.
It sits there blinking alternately.

idle
now playing kabc

Then it stays on idle.

I checked the url.
I checked type as pls. 
I also tried stream type mp3, no difference.

I clicked on the link you gave on the computer and it plays fine in vlc, so that is perfect.
But it's not working on the chumby. 

Any ideas?  The only thing I can think of is the url is wrong, and I checked it twice. I'll check again.

I just checked the url again, and I changed the KABCAMAAC.pls to WABCMAAC.pls as a test and that does the same on the infocast 3.5.  Blinks a few times and then stops.

I suspect they are blocking chumby.

Joan Jett wrote:

FWIW, I use a Sangean WFR-20
http://www.sangean.com/products/product.asp?mid=24

Brian

How do you like it? I haven't heard much about Sangean.

bobsz wrote:

iheart radio on the Chumby widget just shows a small percentage of the iheart stations you can find online. I'm sure iheart would rather have you listen online so you have to see their ads. I think listening via your browser lets them target some ads for your location, but that's just a guess.

I don't think Chumby has anything to do with the choice of stations on the iheart widget. And I don't think iheart considers the "newness" of the stations or their marketing. I'm in New York, and we have a "sister station" to your KABC. We have WABC. It's a mega-powerful AM station, on the air for a long time. But it's never been available on iheart on the Chumby.

I heart is owned by Clear Channel, so up til now that has only carried Clear Channel stations.  My cousin is a disk jockey (geez) on a Clear Channel station and the employees call it "The Borg".  Taking over everything.

This is what's so odd now, that IHeart is carrying non Clear Channel stations.  Maybe they are gonna spin it off. 

In any case I was not able to get the stream URLS you mentioned to work. Did you try those on chumby and did they work for you?

@Steevo- My aplogies. Those URLs don't work on my Chumby. I *used* to get WABC, didn't realize how things have changed. I tried some alternate links I had on my PC that used to play fine in Winamp, but now they just forward to that horrible flash player. Thank you for letting me know how they're up to something. Even on VLC, I can't easily find the 'real' link to the stream anymore. It goes to a page where VLC then picks up the stream. (I wonder if iheart is checking the browser, and blocking things like Chumby.) I just checked and some of the stations that used to be on Shoutcast (including WABC) aren't there any more. leo_keil above notes a lot of changes to iheart non-Chumby versions. So, it looks like you really did uncover something significant with iheart. Let us pray they're not going to sell it to Google.

I have another couple of shots I can try to find the direct link to these streams. Sometimes it's possible to find older mp3 streams from before they upgraded to aac. Sometimes the links to mp4a's can do funny things, like make your player try to download it rather than stream it. I'm really annoyed by this, so I'll be trying hard to find away around the Borg. This homogenized radio across the country is terrible. On the other hand, if the Borg put Jeri Ryan in that flash-player window, maybe I could tolerate it.

@BoloMKXXVIII and Joan Jett- I've wanted to buy a radio for years, but never did. I just couldn't decide what to go with. (That's why I bought my 1st Chumby.) Hope you can tell me more about your radios. I can't figure out the market, many of the models have been around for years. I haven't seen anything "wow" new lately. I'm also curious about the station providers. It seems like a lot of the stations come through 3rd parties, rather than straight through the web. The Sangean seems like a great radio with good sound, but I don't know what they limit it to 12 station presets. Do you have to type in additional URLs for >12? Can you type in your own URLs like in "My Streams?" (I used to have a good Sangean Short-wave radio.)

The Mondo looks very cool. Just my same reservations about station providers. It seems like Grace has more options. My big question is, how's the sound for both of them. And do they get good wi-fi connections? Please give me any more about how you like your radios.

As for my internet listening, I do use my PC a lot because it's hooked up to a good sound system. I've got a C1 in the same room (bedroom) for casual listening. Believe it or not, I really like the sound of the little C1 on its own. In my living room, I have another C1 plugged into a decent Sony Bookshelf system. The sound isn't the greatest "hifi," but it's ok. Sometimes I'll plug powered computer speakers into a Chumby, which makes surprisingly good sound. But yes, I really do want to buy a real radio. My apartment's on the ground floor, so I got really lousy radio reception before web radio.

I'm also looking for a 'portable' web radio solution. For wi-fi, I'm lucky enough to have a real "classic" pocket device I can use with earphones. It's an HP iPaq 111, one of the last real PDAs. It puts most small tablets to shame. It has Windows Media Player, but I installed a different player that works very well with streams, and sounds great. Unfortunately, it's getting a little old, and the battery's not holding a charge well.

This is another thing I'd like to buy- a small "entertainment" tablet with speakers, mostly for web radio. I don't need a tablet for serious browsing or work or even video, but I'd like good sound. Anybody have one like this? There was an old thread on this I can't find. I'd seen a small tablet with big speakers, I think it was an Archos, but I can't find it now.

Thanks for your advice. And Steevo, sorry I gave you some outdated info. But remember, resistance is *not* futile. I'm going to keep trying.

@Steevo- I found the links to the streams that *do* play on the Chumby. They're mp3 streams, not mp4a. Don't ask me what they've done to the aac to screw it up for Chumby. Anyway, these both work fine on my C1-

http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/KABCAM.pls

http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/WABCAM.pls

That does work, but for stream type I had to set to pls, not mp3, which is one of the four selections.

Thanks! You're really the guy.

BTW, saw the discussion of internet radios. 

I have a Tangent quattro, it was great until it failed, an error regarding network adapter not found.  I took it apart and there is a USB wifi adapter in it. I got one on ebay for $5 with the same chipset but I haven't put it in.  I hope that fixes it, that is a nice unit for an old one. 

It has a nice wood case, made in Sweden.  2 line display, amazing sound.  I guess since mine failed I can't really recommend it. 

I found it at the swapmeet for $10, and it worked for a year or two.  At that price it was great, that Grace thing is close to $200.  You'd have to want that bad IMHO.

12 (edited by BoloMKXXVIII 2012-08-09 08:26:41)

Bobsz,

A cheap tablet that actually has good sounding speakers is the Blackberry Playbook. They can be had for as little as $170 (16 GB version). It also still supports flash. Because it is not Android or OSX you may run into problems (i.e. lack of some programs) but I stream Pandora and Slacker to it and sometimes link it to my home stereo with bluetooth.

The Grace Mondo is a very nice radio but only sounds good up to about 1/3 volume. That is plenty for casual listening. I have a Chumby One also and the Grace can't be compared for sound quality. The Grace has a much larger speaker. It also has RCA outputs and a headphone output. USB flash drives can be connected if you wish to play your own music. I have connected a USB hard drive and had no trouble playing MP3s from it. There are only 10 preset stations but you can add as many stations into your "my stuff" folder as you want. They have a very large selection of stations and if you don't find the one you want you can submit one and they are very good at adding it. I do have concerns about ending up with a brick if they go out of business. Not sure there is any way around that with this type of device though. I also like their Android app for controlling the radio (via wifi). If you connect it to a real stereo it sound awesome. It is not for critical listening (i.e. CDs or FLAC files with a high end stereo system) but for day to day it is great.

Thanks to all for the suggestions about web radio players. I'll be checking them all out. (Never even thought of the BB tablet.) I wish *I* was lucky enough to find one at a garage sale! I'm still surprised how few internet radios are being made. Maybe people don't understand the streams are free, unlike Sirius XM. But with what we're seeing from iHeart, maybe they won't be free for long, anyway. One of our major Rock stations just started a contest/advertising blitz for iHeart.

Well, one of them will be on my birthday-present list. (My birthday's the same as Chumby's- an honor.)

Another off-track question- has anyone ever considered streaming from a computer to a "stereo" receiver via an FM transmitter? I know good ones are not cheap, but don't know anyone who's gotten a real one. (Just "toys.")

@Steevo- sorry for the confusion about the terminology of mp3 vs pls, etc. The file extensions pls and m3u are like playlists for streaming files. They tell your player to just play each song and move along to the next. A playlist can be made up of different format content, eg either mp3 or AAC (m4a). Oog is an open-source music encoding/streaming format. The stream type can also be called xspf, but the stream filetype is .ogg. Our Chumbys will play them fine. If you add one to mystreams, you'd guess you'd "check" the pls file type. For some reason, it also plays (but sounds a little different) if you check mp3 (though it's not mp3!)

Oog fans say it produces better sound even with more compression.

WBUR is a Public Radio station that is 100% news/talk programming, mostly world and national news. They have a lot of nationally-carried programs they create themselves. If you'd like to try an oog stream, try them:

http://wbur-ogg.streamguys.com/wburlive.ogg

They also have lower-quality pls and m3u streams.

bobsz,

This is what I use to get my Grace Mondo to feed my home stereo. I don't see why you couldn't use it from computer to home stereo.

http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-BluBridge- … 282_a1_2_p

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless … h+logitech

The pair are good for about 30 feet of separation as long as there are no obstructions.

I too am puzzled as to why there are not more (and cheaper) internet radios. I could have bought a cheap Android Tablet and a pair of computer speakers for the price of the Mondo and have much the same thing, just not in such a nice package. Someone (brand escapes me at the moment) does make an Android alarm clock that would do the job of a table radio but the speakers were crap and it was way overpriced. Cheap Android based internet radios should be available for about $50 these days. Maybe I should start a kickstarter project?

@BoloMKXXVIII- I've been checking into the Blackberry Playbook as you mentioned. The reviews agree with you, actually most rave about the sound. I have 2 questions I can't find answers to: Does it have the ability to natively stream web audio and video? It looks like you need 3rd party apps, but you obviously do it - not a problem? Also, can you describe how loud the thing plays- ie, comparable to the C1 or something? Can't find any info on the watts output of the speakers. Thanks.

16 (edited by BoloMKXXVIII 2012-08-16 03:22:22)

bobsz,

I stream Pandora and Slacker from my Playbook regularly. Youtube works fine. There is no Netflix support however. There is an app that is basically a pretty index of all the content you can stream from the large content providers web sites. It is nice because you don't have to remember which show is on which channel's web page. I actually streamed an episode of American Pickers two nights ago and fed it from my Playbook to my 40" HDTV via the HDMI port. The picture was soft but not terrible.  I am not sure what you mean by needing 3rd party apps for steaming. The Playbook doesn't support all format types so some people use programs like Plex to transcode on the fly. I do not mess with this type of arrangement as it requires you to have a PC running the back end all the time.

As for sound quality, the Playbook has two front facing speakers. I have owned a few tablets and handled quite a few more and the Playbook has by far the best sound quality. It sounds better then any of my laptops/netbooks (not saying much as they are terrible). You do have to realize the drivers are very small so don't expect low end frequencies. To me the sound quality is much better than the Chumby One.

The Playbook is a different beast than any other tablet. Hopefully you can find one to play with before you decide if you want to buy one. What exactly are you planning to use it for? Perhaps I can give you an idea if it can do everything you want or what it would be lacking.

@BoloMKXXVIII- Thanks- you covered everything I needed to know. I've never had a tablet, still using and "ancient" HP PDA. That's why I'm off base with some of my questions. I plan to use it for browsing and typing- email, etc- but also as a radio. One main benefit to me it that it's *not* google. It sounds like it is what I'm looking for. I will try to get my hands on one to try. Sad to say the 16 GB ones are starting to sellout.

Thanks again.

You might want to check out Staples this Sunday (only).

They are supposed to be having a sale on the 16 GB models.  $159.

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me. I jumped right on it, but it looks like the $159 is just for the Canadian stores. Fair enough I guess, considering it's RIM. Still, I'm going to check in case I get some kind of coupon or something with my regular Staples junk mail.

BTW, I did get to handle one, and it's like touching a porsche. The thing was locked down solid at Radio Shack, but I could test the browser, streaming (easy), even the typing in portrait mode was easier that I thought. Unfortunately, speakers were pointing straight up, but I could still hear the sound quality. Stereo separation seemed great. Now I've just got to get the money together. Fun researching though, thanks.

A good website to follow is the Crackberry Playbook forum: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/
They usually announce when/where a sale is happening.

Has anyone figured out what the URL for I Heart Radio's 24/7 News stream is? It doesn't show up in the iheart radio Chumby widget, so I'd like to get it via MyStreams.