1 (edited by bobsz 2012-08-01 18:01:18)

Topic: Battery use- questions

I finally bought a battery for my C1. I know this is an old topic, but I searched the forums but didn't come up with my answers. Just couldn't get the right search terms, I guess. Anyway, with the battery:

First, about the FM antenna. I seem to remember reading that it was possible to push it inside the case to save it, rather than leaving it out or cutting it off. I can't remember how it was done. Seems like if I drilled a hole in the battery case it might push inside, but I have no idea where (or if) it would be safe to do that. I see it won't squeeze into the case with the battery in there. My primary worry is that I don't want to mess up the Chumby. I'm hoping somebody's found a creative solution over the years.

Second, I'm not concerned about the battery being in the Chumby all the time as a back-up, but mostly for bringing it outside once in a while or when away from an outlet, etc. Does the battery need to be stored inside the Chumby, hooked up to the a.c.? Or, will it act like the battery from a laptop, be fine if stored outside the Chumby with a part-charge?

Of course, if I could find an easy way to hide the FM antenna, I'd probably just leave the battery in. It's just that I hold the Chumby in my hand a lot of times during the day. I know I could adjust to a Chumby with a tail if need be.

Any other tips on using the battery will be appreciated. Again, sorry for such a "retro" topic. Thanks.

Re: Battery use- questions

There is plenty of space inside the case of a Chumby one for the antenna wire. It has been a while since I had mine apart so I really don't remember how it was routed. Why not just remove the back so you can take a peek inside. You don't even have to completely disassemble your C1 (though it is not hard to do). I got about 2 years worth of life from my first battery in my C1. For what replacements cost I don't know why you would not want to just leave it in place. I would check it once in a while to see if it has started to swell up. At that point it is time for a change.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Re: Battery use- questions

There should be no problem leaving the battery out for short periods of time; lithium ion batteries do have a somewhat high self-discharge rate though, and if it self-discharges far enough, it will damage its capacity/longevity.