Topic: Stealth Chumby!

Okay, just got my Chumby.  We have secured Wireless.  We have a WEP key.  IT is being mega-anal about giving me the WEP key because they see it as a security threat. 

I have a laptop at work that is on all the time during the day.

Does anyone know of a USB widget that would transmit the Internet connection from my box out to my Chumby?  Almost like an 802.11 USB plug-in receiver but in reverse?

Thanks!

3M

Re: Stealth Chumby!

With your laptop's wifi (either built-in or with a USB dongle), I think you should be able to create an ad-hoc network that allows your laptop to function as a wireless access point.  I wouldn't do this if your workplace is really strict about security, however, since that potentially opens a big hole into their network.

Chumby birthdate: 10/11/07

derspiess wrote:

With your laptop's wifi (either built-in or with a USB dongle), I think you should be able to create an ad-hoc network that allows your laptop to function as a wireless access point.  I wouldn't do this if your workplace is really strict about security, however, since that potentially opens a big hole into their network.

Can you please tell me sell me a clue on this?  I have a work tower (not a laptop) but I have USB ports galore and an always-on LAN. 

Can you please recommend a dongle that will let me do said ad-hoc networking?

Much appreciated!

Thanks!

--3M

here's one such option

http://www.trendnet.com/products/TEW-429UB.htm

/mdkail

The WEP key?  WEP has long been known to be broken as far as security is concerned.

WPA is the secure choice.  It needs a password, of course, which you'll need to get from your IT.

What I'm getting at is that you may be asking them for the wrong thing.  If you're asking for a WEP key, that may be why they're going off on the security issue.  Try asking for the WPA key and see what kind of response that gets.

Of course, they might by stingy with the WPA key, too.

mdkail wrote:

here's one such option

http://www.trendnet.com/products/TEW-429UB.htm

/mdkail

Thanks so much...checked my settings and they have sharing locked out also, but may be making some headway re our secure wireless.  Will keep you all posted...

Postscript:

How to get Corporate IT to Be Nice to you and Give you the Magic Web Key:

--Be nice
--show them your Chumby
--show them Chumby.com
--make them want one
--make them sign up for the next pre-release
--(watch as it dawns on them that if they want to use one they sort of have to let the person who clued them in use one also)
--Get Key
--Big smiles all around; everyone is happy

big_smile

Good strategy-- thankfully I can sidestep all that, as I work downtown & there are a few free public wifi hotspots near my office.

I'm too paranoid that my Chumby would get kidnapped, however, even though I work in a secured area.

Chumby birthdate: 10/11/07

Well there is another no-so-legit way to find out that wep/wpa key, seeming its saved on your computer, assuming your work pc is running a Windows based OS, all you would need is a tiny program from nirsofts website called wireless key view, http://www.nirsoft.net/password_recovery_tools.html  you would just need to run that once from your thumbdrive and in less than 30 seconds voila you have your wireless password, this of course could get you fired if caught by your IT dept so maybe not the best idea, specially when they know your after that key for your chumby. But it is an alternate solution no-one the less. Useful tool when the admin for that network has forgot but knows its saved on a pc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------