Topic: Chumby Needs a Battery Bag Diaper

Ok maybe a diaper is not the term we all want in our heads right now but mobility and chumby are made for each other, its like a destiny that didn't go down as planned.  So maybe we need like a third party battery bag for the chumby.  Sure makes it beefier but makes it portal goodness. 

Sorta like enabling the chumby with a Tivoli PAL battery or something...

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php? … amp;page=1

Course it all depends on Chumby's appetite for energy, but still.

koovus

2 (edited by ninavizz 2007-11-09 02:01:05)

Re: Chumby Needs a Battery Bag Diaper

LOL! Sorry, I have nothing productive to contribute to this... tho I *love* the idea of a diaper, for a battery!! I'm a hardware person, and ahve been brainstorming about how to do a battery in a way that is elegant and en-theme with Chumby's cuteness. The diaper seems like an adorable starting-point as a concept for the form factor.

I had been thinking about cannibalizing a Treo, as a starting-point... tho mostly, only, because I have a few of them lying around un-used. What to cannibalize, does seem like the rational starting point.

Yeah- the necessity of a power-cord has proven very restrictive, for many uses I've had in mind, for my 'lil guy.

My coworker brought up how much cooler it would be without the cord.  I think it would be cool to have a small rechargeable battery that had a base it could normally sit on.  Even if the battery only lasted 30 minutes, most people don't spending huge amounts of time with it.

A battery diaper might work for women, but for men it would have to be an ammo pack.

As a former Army Infantryman, I would call it an assault pack smile

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I agree that the Chumby would be cooler without the cord. And assault pack sounds cool! I'm a girl but I still wouldn't want a diaper for my battery!

I'm happy with the cord.  at first I thought that the cord would be a major drawback, but then I realized that the chumby didn't need to be moved around very much.

Well for people that work. Do you take your Chumby to work with you, find the plug, and leave it on your desk all day? Then then when you have to go home, unplug it again, take it home, plug it in there? It's too much of a hassle for most working people. And what about the time it's unplugged when you are taking to to and from work? Does the Chumby die or what? o.O

Buy two smile

Lol, yeah I guess that'd work too! Unless you have thieves at work that envy your Chumby!

Assuming I had the money, a discounted multi-pack of Chumbys would be attractive.

I could see someone buying several of these for family members, and using them as a a sort of message center system.

I think a Chumby six pack would do nicely. And while we're at it, how about a "Chumby Nano".

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Ganson wrote:

I think a Chumby six pack would do nicely. And while we're at it, how about a "Chumby Nano".

that would be cool... do it as a buy 5 get 1 free deal!

NO DIAPER...damn lol
Backpack. Hat. Anything but a diaper. Now when I said hat you all through the top button out the window but you could get an extended presser of sorts and orientate the batteries around it. Before any tech person says anything about the beans inside not being necessary...I like them. They are squishy. I don't want a flat bum-by, chumby got back!

Duane wrote:

Buy two smile

I wanted to buy a second chumby but my parents didn't like the idea and didn't allow me (even though it is my money).  so, I started thinking about other ways to power the chumby and move it around the house or take it to cafe's with internet connection.

My idea of how to power a chumby without the cord would be to buy a rechargeable 9V battery.
would this one work?
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?Pa … ProdID=880

if each battery lasted an hour, then I would have an hour of backup, an hour of mobile use, and two more hours charging at any time, right?

I haven't tested how long but what I did was bought (already had really) some rechargable double aa 1.5 volts and then got a standard 6 holder battery thing at radioshack (had one) and it has the 9v connector and should provide approximately... 9v @ 2amp (maybe lower amp) or whatever is on the batteries, it is a little bit more robust but still probably won't hold a charge too long

Just unboxed my beloved chumby last night and tried the 9volt to see how long it lasted. Got about a half hour... which is a LOT longer than I expected. Sort of a neat idea to keep one in there so you can unplug the chumby to move it without powering down.

I happen to work for a battery company type place and brought it in to see which rechargeable battery pack would work best with the little guy... hopefully fit right in the slot where the 9 volt goes. I'll let you know what I find out. 8)

So if I buy an old boombox tape player that has 6 C cells in it (for the 9 v), remove the tape player but keep the audio...

...see where I'm going with this?  The Chumbox!

wayn3w wrote:

So if I buy an old boombox tape player that has 6 C cells in it (for the 9 v), remove the tape player but keep the audio...

Yeah... you're going to need to do that this weekend and take a picture. Incredible idea. smile

I was thinking of taking an old walkman shell and building a Walkchum.

markf wrote:
wayn3w wrote:

Yeah... you're going to need to do that this weekend and take a picture. Incredible idea. smile

I was thinking of taking an old walkman shell and building a Walkchum.

I would do it if I had a second chumby... I'm not sure I want to touch my current chumby tho.  But I can start listing the parts and reading up on the internals.

Don't forget to also post any info on power ideas to the wiki under Hardware Hacks!  I posted info on the DC supply connector tere recently.  Since I have 12 volts available in my "ham shack," I have the Chumby running off my shack supply, and leave the wall wart in the living room for quick checks during TV slow times.

- Rich

Dallas TX
Chumby1 Birthday 11/1/07

I picked up one of those batteries for remote control cars (9.6V; around $17) and cannibilized an old power supply that had a connector compatible with the Chumby so he could attend meetings with me.   The battery lasted the first time for 2 hourse 30 minutes and the second time for 2 hours and 48 minutes.

Butch

I have just about completed a relatively simple Chumby modificatio using LiPO cells commonly used in RC cars and airplanes.   The charging circuit is %80 complete, and it connects right into the 9V clip.   The current version requires two wires to be soldered into the chumby power connector, however I now have a workaround for this issue as well.

Currently, I can put 1800mAh @ 11.4V (stepped down to 9V by a DC/DC converter).     Pictures to come, as well as schematics.

-Martin Bogomolni  (Chumby - Black Sun)

I'm probably wrong, but while we are on the topic of battery power.
I want to make some sort of batt pack for my chumby, even if it hangs out the back, idc.
Here is where I am confused and would like some help.

An average 9volt is about 400-500mAh and is fully capable of running the chumby for at least 10 minutes, yet the power supply to the chumby is pumping a full 1Ah (1000mAh). I do not understand this fully, but I suspect the chumby must be capable of running on 400mAh, because, well, it does.
My question is, How many amps can the chumby take?
I've got six AA rechargeable batt's at 2500mAh each, together thats like 15Ah (15000mAh) Right?
I suspect the 15Ah is WAY to much for the chumby, so I haven't tried it for fear of sizzling my chumby.
If it IS to much then I could try six AAA at 600mHa each totaling 3.6Ah.

Now if my entire understanding of batteries and electricity in general is all wrong please tell me. Because I really don't fully understand the entire idea of it all.

Beastlykings,

The power supply is rated to deliver 1 Amp of current (not Amp-hour) at 12 Volts. This does not mean that the Chumby will actually require this much power to run, only that it could supply that much if needed.  I am sure the power consumption of the chumby depends on what you are doing. For example if the screen is on full brightness and you are pumping out max volume on some music from an attached USB drive or IPOD the current draw will be much higher than if it is sitting there in night mode.

With regards to batteries, they are rated in amp-hours. So your numbers for a typical 9V battery mean that it can supply about 500 milliamps for one hour. If your device is only drawing 100 milliamps, it will last 5 hours or only one hour if you did draw 500 miliamps. Keep in mind that by the time you are at the hour mark, the battery is going to be completely dead. So your chumby or other device is most likely going to shut off well before you hit the hour mark due to the fact that the voltage level will have dipped below the required level.

Now for your six AA rechargeable batteries. Since you are using them in series to get up to 7.2 V (6 x 1.2) you will only get 2500mAh total capacity as each battery is only supplying 1.2V at that capacity. You do not need to be concerned about having too much capacity, the more the better. The higher capacity just means that it can supply the same ammount of current for a longer time. The only thing here is that I would recommend to anyone making up a battery pack is to put an inline fuse in the power cord. This way if something goes wrong you will not have a fire or other similiar problem. As you get to higher and higher capacities, these batteries can supply a large ammount of current in a short circuit condition. A fuse is an easy safety measure that will help prevent a hazardous condition.

I hope I have answered some of your questions, if you need more info you can pm me.

-HuckFinn

25 (edited by loren1979 2008-01-20 21:40:26)

Hello all,

I performed some tests today and installed a Lithium Polymer battery in my unit.  In my tests, I found that the Chumby would operate normally for about 1 hour, 15 minutes using a 7.4 700 mAH device.  After that time, dark areas of the screen would begin to flicker.  This was resolved by re-plugging the adapter.  No charging takes place, but this type of battery historically keeps it's charge for a long time (and is very small).  My aim is backup purposes only.  This serves that well, with no cosmetic modification.

-Loren

just go with it