Topic: WEP Hex - Does Chumby allow for Key 2?

I'm trying to run my Chumby @ work on our secured Wi-Fi.  I have the WEP pass code in hex however my sysadmin says in uses Key 2 which doesn't seem to be an option on my unit.  Has anyone else run into this?  Am I missing something obvious? 

Thanks

Re: WEP Hex - Does Chumby allow for Key 2?

I guess I don't really know what that means.  The access points I'm familiar with only support a single WEP key at a time.

Can you get more info from your sysadmin?

3 (edited by gjeff 2007-11-02 12:20:59)

The IEEE 802.11 standard supports two types of WEP encryption: 40-bit and 128-bit.

The 64-bit WEP data encryption method allows for a five-character (40-bit) input. Additionally, 24 factory-set bits are added to the forty-bit input to generate a 64-bit encryption key. (The 24 factory-set bits are not user-configurable). This encryption key will be used to encrypt/decrypt all data transmitted via the wireless interface. Some vendors refer to the 64-bit WEP data encryption as 40-bit WEP data encryption because the user-configurable portion of the encryption key is 40 bits wide.

The 128-bit WEP data encryption method consists of 104 user-configurable bits. Similar to the 40-bit WEP data encryption method, the remaining 24 bits are factory-set and not user-configurable. Some vendors allow passphrases to be entered instead of the cryptic hexadecimal characters to ease encryption key entry.

The 128-bit encryption is stronger than 40-bit encryption, but 128-bit encryption may not be available outside the United States due to U.S. export regulations.

When configured for 40-bit encryption, 802.11 products typically support up to four WEP keys. Each 40-bit WEP key is expressed as five sets of two hexadecimal digits (0-9 and A-F). For example, "12 34 56 78 90" is a 40-bit WEP key.

When configured for 128-bit encryption, 802.11g products typically support four WEP keys, but some manufacturers support only one 128-bit key. The 128-bit WEP Key is expressed as 13 sets of two hexadecimal digits (0-9 and A-F). For example, "12 34 56 78 90 AB CD EF 12 34 56 78 90" is a 128-bit WEP key.

Typically, 802.11 access points can store up to four 128-bit WEP keys, but some 802.11 client adapters can only store one. Therefore, make sure that your 802.11 access and client adapters' configurations match.

Whatever keys you enter for an access point, you must also enter the same keys for the client adapter in the same order. In other words, WEP key 1 on the AP must match WEP key 1 on the client adapter, WEP key 2 on the AP must match WEP key 2 on the client adapter, etc.

First, the wireless access point deployed at your office/site should have one of the 4 WEP keys defined as the 'default'.

You can simply use that in your Chumby, or, get the Hex string for key 2 on your AP and put that in the config on your
Chumby.

The gist of this is that the Chumby, like some client adapters, can only store 1 WEP key.

/mdkail

Yes, you should enter the same keys for the client adapter in the same order.