Topic: Help: The pitch of all my audio streams is too low

I have several Chumby devices but just recently found a Chumby Classic.  As I was setting it up I discoved something odd.  My streams all play fine but the pitch is very low.  It sound like everybody has a deep low voice. sad

The same streams on my Chumby One sounds great (normal) - It is a unique problem with my CC.   
It has never sounded correct.  It affects ALL streams (My Streams, Blue Octy Radio etc)

I just installed chumby classic version 1.7.3 firmware sucessfully but it didn't solve the issue.

I searched the forum and didn't see anything about this pitch issue.

I am hoping someone can help me out.  I'm somewhat technical and don't mind SSH'ing into the device if required.

Thanks.

Re: Help: The pitch of all my audio streams is too low

We've never heard of this - what is the version of the hardware?

HW: 3.7 SW:1.7.3
FW: 4094 HW#CC07B05077

Wow, OK, I have no idea what's happening there.

Can you please the Beta firmware to see if it still happens with that?

Tru5t wrote:

I just installed chumby classic version 1.7.3 firmware sucessfully but it didn't solve the issue....

I already tried that.  Running the beta firmware but it didn't help. 
I can't even understand how this is possible.  I'll play with it some more over the weekend and report back any discoveries.

What do the inbuilt alarm tones sound like? Normal or deep pitched as well?
What happens if you play your own music off an Ipod or a USB stick?

@steelpaw - good test suggestions

inbuilt alarm tones = low pitch
own music off of USB stick = low pitch

As far as I can tell every sound that comes out of this device is a few tones below the normal pitch.

I noticed that even the audio during the Chumby intro video has the low pitch issue.

It is sounding rather like a hardware issue, to me.
The only other thing I can think of is to listen through headphones. If this sounds OK, then you have isolated the fault to the speaker or late stage audio circuitry. More to the point, it would mean that you could still use the Chumby with external speakers or headphones.

The audio problem is the same whether i use the external speakers or headphones. 

Another test I did was to play the same stream on 2 chumbys (chumbi?) side-by-side.  The CC stream is not only lower pitch but slower.  The normal Chumby started with a second delay but quickly caught up to the problematic Chumby and passed it.  The longer I played the streams the further and further they moved apart.  When I ended the test the stream was 2 minutes behind the normal chumby.

Duane - do you want this CC as a Christmas present?  The apps are nice but I use these 95% as internet radios.

This does sound (no pun intended) like a hardware problem - it's like the TSC2100 is getting the wrong sampling rate.

Yeah, the TSC2100.  That is exactly what I was thinking. :-)  What now?

Would this be considered manufacturing defect?  Is there nothing that can be done about it?

Tru5t wrote:

Would this be considered manufacturing defect?  Is there nothing that can be done about it?

It is not so much a manufacturing defect as it is a component failure.
The extent to which something can be done about it would depend upon whether you feel up to tinkering with the internals of the device.
Since it would appear that this Chumby never worked properly from the moment you got it, I would start by complaining to the seller. I am not familiar with American consumer law, so I don't know exactly what rights you have over there when buying second hand.