1 (edited by magnuken 2011-10-08 12:58:48)

Topic: Concerning European weather widgets and also others

Hi,

Concerning the several weather widgets that are available for Chumby, some remarks on their lacking European style:

- In Europe we use for temperature measurement the Celsius scale and not the old Fahrenheit scale!

- In Europe we use for wind speeds mostly the m/s and in Britain mph. Most of your weather widgets display the wind speed for European countries in km/h. This is not good!

- All over the Europe we are also using the 24 hour clock and not the strange 12 AM/PM clock!

And then an other remarks for European users:

- With the FM Radio of Chumby One it is almost imossible to get even a reasonable reception! This FM-tranceiver feature of Chumby One has no use in Europe.

Re: Concerning European weather widgets and also others

The response
Many/most weather widgets can be configured for celsius..ditto for windspeed
Also time on the chumby and a good portion of the widgets is changable in the widgets preferences for 24 hours..

Sorry the FM isnt a digital radio tuner...

Your not the primary audience of the Chumby... but its been adapted to work in Europe

joltdude wrote:

Many/most weather widgets can be configured for celsius..ditto for windspeed

Although when you configure the widgets for metric the windspeed option is always for km/h not m/s. I am happy with the metric readings provided, because in Australia we normally use Celsius and km/h. I was surprised to hear they do windspeed differently in Europe.

Here's the thing - these numbers typically come from the upstream service already converted to the units displayed.  In other words, the widget typically asks for the data and specifies whether it wants imperial or metric units, and that's what comes back.  In some cases, the feed contains both imperial and metric.

The widgets typically don't do any unit conversion at the client end - in the case of the one of the weather data providers, the contract actually *prohibits* unit conversion on the client - the widget must display the data with the supplied units as-is or not at all.

So, if the data comes from the server in km/h, that's what's displayed.

I don't know of any providers that allow one to specify a mix of imperial and metric units, ie temperature in Celsuis but windspeed in mph.

magnuken wrote:

- With the FM Radio of Chumby One it is almost imossible to get even a reasonable reception! This FM-tranceiver feature of Chumby One has no use in Europe.

I had the same issue with the FM Radio. Then I realized there was an option to set up the receiver for european countries. After that (and after unrolling the antenna) it worked like a charm.

6 (edited by magnuken 2011-10-29 12:45:38)

Catze2k2 wrote:
magnuken wrote:

I had the same issue with the FM Radio. Then I realized there was an option to set up the receiver for european countries. After that (and after unrolling the antenna) it worked like a charm.

Ok, there is an option to put the receiver to 87.0 - 108.0 by 0.1 increments. But the receiption is still very very bad. In fact this Chumby device is the worst FM-radio I ever have used during some 40-.50 years!!!

magnuken wrote:

But the receiption is still very very bad. In fact this Chumby device is the worst FM-radio I ever have used during some 40-.50 years!!!

You have unrolled the antenna wire, haven't you?