Topic: Oh PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I NEED Internet Radio on my Chumby...PLEASE!!!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Oh PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I NEED Internet Radio on my Chumby...PLEASE!!!

Have you tried streaming through Slimserver? I can get internet radio through it to my Chumby.... I even have Sirius satellite internet radio working with it...  You can still thumb through widgets and change channels with the radio on, but you need a local computer running the Slimserver software, and you need to control the channels through the local computer (not the chumby).

Check out the Chumby tricks and easter egg section on the wiki, if you haven't yet....

shoe

Keep the faith ;^)

I am trying soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to keep the faith -- any updates soon?  any beta testers needed???? that would hold me over!!

shoe, I've tried the SlimServer thing, but there is no way I see to change playlists or stations from the chumby sad

Steve, are you implying we will get Internet radio on the chumbies soon? I hope so! :-) - julby

I have faith...I have faith in new updates.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I have faith too -- but show me the light!  give me a sign!!

Simple answer - officially supported internet music for a commercial device requires official relationships with the companies that own the content.  Cutting the necessary deals with the various (in some case, very large) companies involved takes a long time.

The technology is the easiest part.

Who do we need to beat on Duane?  You got a troop here willing and able to help see this done. Put us to work!

At this point, probably nothing.  It's all about going through the necessary legal rituals.

what about listening to the free internet radio stations I could listen to on cell phone?
http://mobile.palm.com/us/

Yes, they're "free" in the sense that you aren't paying for them, however, Palm did deals with each of these companies in order to officially include them in their offering.

I know it's frustrating, but we need to let the process run its course.

Duane & Co,

> The technology is the easiest part.

How about accessing radio from commercial stations that already have an Internet stream?  E.g., news/talk 810AM in the bay area:

http://www.kgoam810.com/listenlive.asp

or NPR?

http://www.kqed.org/listen/index.jsp?flash=true

I don't see why that requires legal hoops (they're more than happy to have us listen to their ads), all you need is a compatible codec.  I seriously doubt Firefox/IE/Opera/Safari/etc has done any "necessary legal rituals" for all the radio stations with internet broadcast streams.

The Chumby is a total non-starter for my wife if it doesn't replace the "radio" part of her clock-radio.

I don't know about those specific cases because I haven't reviewed them, however, most of these sites have terms of service that allow you as an individual to access their feeds, but prohibit commercial enterprises to republish such information, which we'd need to do to provide a directory or other aggregation.

what do you need?  a letter from their lawyer?  why don't you just do it, and then get permission? I would think they'd be happy to know they just added listeners

CAN you do it?  If you can, I will call NPR and get this moving

We're working on streaming Internet radio over chumby.  Still at least a month away (though hoping for an earlier holiday surprise for our loyal chumbians).  But it's coming :^)

It would be really cool to be able to stream podcasts directly in some way... that would tickle me pink!

"I don't know about those specific cases because I haven't reviewed them, however, most of these sites have terms of service that allow you as an individual to access their feeds, but prohibit commercial enterprises to republish such information"

Well, I looked over the KGO Terms of Service (which I'm assuming is typical for commerical news/talk stations). 

http://www.kgoam810.com/Article.asp?id=462999

The only relevant paragraph is under the "Intellectual Property" section, which says:

"....Citadel, our licensors or associates retain exclusive ownership of all data, material and other information regarding your use of the Site. Except as we may expressly authorize, you agree not to sell, license, rent, modify, distribute, copy, reproduce, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, publish, adapt, edit or create derivative works from the content or materials on the Site. Systematic retrieval of data or other content from the Site to create or compile, directly or indirectly, a collection, compilation, database or directory without our written permission is prohibited. ..."

So, OK, Chumby can't place KGO's logo in an app without asking.   And the "compile ... database or directory" might possibly mean you need to ask before including them in a list of stations; but I read it as saying you need to ask before cataloging the site itself (e.g., reposting the station's schedule).  Nowhere do I see anything that'd restrict you from using a device like the Chumby to listen to their audio stream. 

So, I guess the real question, is how hard would it be to come up with a Chumby app to punch in a station's stream URL and listen to the audio?  I'm more than happy to write my own list of station URL's if it'll let me get my hands on radio streams sooner.

Cheers,
jp

Streaming Internet radio *and* podcasts are both coming -- better music for chumby is a huge priority for us.

Sweet! I get my Chumby today! I can't wait until I can stream Internet Radio like a clock radio does FM! I hope I can use the music as an Alarm.

We're working on linking music and alarms.  That's actually somewhat challenging.  But it will happen.

Steve Tomlin wrote:

Streaming Internet radio *and* podcasts are both coming -- better music for chumby is a huge priority for us.

Podcasts = Very very exciting.  I can't wait for this.

The anticipation of the next update is already killing me.
The bug fixes in the last one were great, but I can't wait to see new content on my Chumby.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

so i got the chumby and i have sirius sat. radio i want to see them on the same platform, i also have interest in developing widgets for the chums around here and put my ideas to work, however...

in reading this thread i see that there is a bit of controversy over the issues surrounding intellectual property laws and the understanding/ interpretations of them when tested by the ideas of convergence.

convergence is coming and the companies that form these types of progressive alliances are necessary to make the shift easier. the moment that companies realize that making their product easy to own and versicle Truly is a selling point in and of it self. the moment they will dominate as the source of a particular product. as will their counterparts and compliment goods suppliers.

would you buy a car if there where no roads or street signs or gas to power the car, or heat and a/c for the respective seasons? not me... id do something else .

when people want to do something hard enough it gets done by the ones who actually do something. someone should write the necessary code and put it to a test. that seems the simple answer. the chumby is nothing more then a high tech walkman of the future ( which i love) and i dont see the problem with likening this matter of internet radio on the chumby ( which i really want to see, along with other audio input support) or some other way to relay music to the chumby as the same as loading a tape of two different bands in to it and listening. everyone got paid, the bands the sony company and the record company, right on down to the retail store, the shipping company and the sales associates. convergence of technologies is what made the ipod the ipod and the playstation the playstation. the "open source " market however on a wide scale is new ground, and it is sweeping markets around the world into the idea that companies fighting each others influence is ridiculous, making it easier to use products in unicin is a better use of funding and manpower.

we can make things happen that better peoples lives and influence how we see the world. maybe a bit of light glances the tunnel?

i suppose i babbled a bit here but such it is...

If you're interested in seeing Internet Radio on your chumby today, wander over to the Beta Software section of the forum.