Re: auto sleep at night

One more vote for this suggestion.

edrabbit wrote:

yet another voice to add to the masses.  I agree with the functionality of awalton:

Anyways, I think the right solution (for me anyway) would simply be a software one; schedule a "bedtime" and have the device turn off the LCD until a given "wakeup" time. It would be nice if you could touch the screen and wake the device up if you needed to, and have it automatically turn back off after 5 minutes if it's still between "bedtime" and "wakeup" time. I wouldn't imagine this being too hard to hack into a control panel, if someone wants to give it a shot.

-HuckFinn

27 (edited by g33k 2007-11-16 17:04:52)

I suggest a Chumby Scheduler that allows the user to set, for each day of the week, any number of Chumby Events, each occurring at a specified time. Each Event could modify any or all of the following:

* Current Channel
* LCD brightness (Full/Dim/Off)
* Volume level
* Streaming radio channel

as well as trigger

* Start or stop playing streamed audio
* An alarm (ie, initiate playback of a specified sound file)

A scheduling system like this would provide a single consistent interface that would satisfy many of the requests I see in various threads on the board. It would supercede the current "night mode" and accommodate all of the ideas as to how it should work. It would also facilitate fairly sophisticated customization.

To further enhance bedside use, I also suggest:

* When Backlight is less than Full, increase one "level" for ~5 seconds when Chumby is interacted with. (ie, when accelerometer detects that Chumby has been moved, tilted or picked up or the touchscreen has been touched). When Backlight is Off, increase to Dim temporarily; when Backlight is DIm, increase to Full temporarily. This should perhaps be an option that is turned on or off in the Control Panel.

This would definately cover all of my needs and sounds like a very simple way to control it all. I especially like your idea of the screen brightness controll, just not sure how it would work as you may inadvertantly interact with a widget that is also using those inputs.

g33k wrote:

I suggest a Chumby Scheduler that allows the user to set, for each day of the week, any number of Chumby Events, each occurring at a specified time. Each Event could modify any or all of the following:

* Current Channel
* LCD brightness (Full/Dim/Off)
* Volume level
* Streaming radio channel

as well as trigger

* Start or stop playing streamed audio
* An alarm (ie, initiate playback of a specified sound file)

A scheduling system like this would provide a single consistent interface that would satisfy many of the requests I see in various threads on the board. It would supercede the current "night mode" and accommodate all of the ideas as to how it should work. It would also facilitate fairly sophisticated customization.

To further enhance bedside use, I also suggest:

* When Backlight is less than Full, increase one "level" for ~5 seconds when Chumby is interacted with. (ie, when accelerometer detects that Chumby has been moved, tilted or picked up or the touchscreen has been touched). When Backlight is Off, increase to Dim temporarily; when Backlight is DIm, increase to Full temporarily. This should perhaps be an option that is turned on or off in the Control Panel.

-HuckFinn

> I especially like your idea of the screen brightness controll, just not sure how it would work as you may inadvertantly interact with a widget that is also using those inputs.

I don't know how easily this could be accomplished with the current Chumby software architecture, but the way I'd do it is this:

Regard less-than-full back light as a "snooze" mode. While snoozing, the first interaction with the device, whether detected by the accelerometer, touchscreen or top button, would not be sent to the active Widget. It would be used only to trigger the temporary increase of backlighting. Subsequent interaction while temporarily woken up would be passed to the active Widget as normal. After five or so seconds of non-interaction with Chumby, it would resume "snoozing" (ie, reduce the backlight and await interaction).

Another voice to the masses: I totally don't think more sensors or hardware is necessary... but rather, as my "Chum," Chumby should either be able to learn my behavious to program itself around how to best suit me... in kind of an "auto-learn" mode... or, I should be able to set parameters for when it's in night mode, when it wakes-up, what channels play at what times of day, etc.

Even from a marketing/branding perspective... it really is more of a virtual-buddy then, and less of an object that requires human input to do any/all tasks. "Alarms" are so passe and analog- if this is a digital buddy, why not push the envelope as the whole product philosophy seems to be on track to do, and create learning behavious that users won't anticipate nor expect... but will fall in love with, and come to require. Who thought they couldn't live without podcasts or iPods, 10 years ago... eh?

I thought of a way to do this without hacking the control panel.  It's my intent to implement this, as soon as I get the time - but it'll be another week or two, I imagine.  (So far I've only built one real widget, so there'll be some learning involved.)

Here's the concept:  Since it's possible to dim the backlight from flash (with an ASnative call) and widgets can exit early, have a widget that's scheduled to run "forever", and if the localtime is after bedtime (as determined by config panel) then it dims the backlight and stays running until morning.  At morning, it restores the backlight and exits.  During the day it either exits right away or runs for 15 seconds or so. 

Any commentary on how to make this better, or why it won't work?

32 (edited by fragin 2007-12-03 17:41:54)

risacher wrote:

I thought of a way to do this without hacking the control panel.  It's my intent to implement this, as soon as I get the time - but it'll be another week or two, I imagine.  (So far I've only built one real widget, so there'll be some learning involved.)

Here's the concept:  Since it's possible to dim the backlight from flash (with an ASnative call) and widgets can exit early, have a widget that's scheduled to run "forever", and if the localtime is after bedtime (as determined by config panel) then it dims the backlight and stays running until morning.  At morning, it restores the backlight and exits.  During the day it either exits right away or runs for 15 seconds or so. 

Any commentary on how to make this better, or why it won't work?

Awesome!  I think the ultimate solution would be to have the control panel let you make robust schedules for switching channels, dimming the display, etc, but in the meantime that is a terrific idea Risacher. 

I'd think it should be so short during the day it is imperceptible, and the night mode should have options to wake back up for a limited or all-night basis. 
But is there a way for a widget to store state or is every activation like a new widget-world?

One thing though; I think I read somewhere the night mode is getting an overhaul in the next software release, so your widget may be less popular after that.

This could also be added to the new control panel, as an additional action..."Night", rather than a channel switch. The wakeup functionality (and switch to whatever channel) is already available in the new control panel beta. Looks VERY nice.

I'm bumping this thread.   The Philips digital frame clock we just returned only had one redeeming feature - configurable times for dim/bright.

The current Control Panel allows you to set Night mode on/off as an alarm action.

That's great, thanks Duane

I'd still love to see a Chumby Scheduler widget.

The current Control Panel also allows you to change the channel as an alarm action.

One step ahead! Nice.

Duane,

I noticed a bug with the alarm panel when setting up an alarm for night mode.  If I set the audio to one of the built-in sounds, the do not show alarm checkbox is disabled.  This means that the alarm has to wait for me to click the button before it will actually enable night mode.

A scheduler widget would be nice, as it would enable me to make changes without having access to my Chumby (I work in a government building, so gadgets aren't allowed sad

This is the correct behavior - unlike the other music sources, there's no way to "turn off" the alarm for the built-in sounds except for the alarm ring screen, so it's required.  We are adding a "None" audio option to make it easier to have silent "channel changing" alarms.

41 (edited by dhl 2008-03-05 16:29:04)

I'm using the alarm easter egg (see thread at http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=1312) to control the screen brightness without depending on night mode. I have a daily alarm that sets brightness to full every morning via a script on the flash drive called post_alarm_action_2:

#!/bin/sh
echo 0 > /proc/sys/sense1/dimlevel

Then later in the day, I dim the screen with a script called post_alarm_action_3:

#!/bin/sh
echo 1 > /proc/sys/sense1/dimlevel

It works quite well, though one drawback is that night mode only shows the first alarm of the day which means I won't see confirmation of a wake-up alarm if it's set to go later than my brightness alarm.

The other issue I'm having and actually this is a real hassle, is that the brightness state that I set with my post-alarm action isn't being remembered when another alarm goes off. Example:

I have an alarm that switches from night-mode to my default clock and uses the easter egg to set brightness to full at 7:00am. The next alarm is set for 8:00am and has a post-alarm action that switches to my news and weather channel. If I wake up between 7:00 and 8:00, the screen is full brightness as I would expect. But once I shut off the 8:00 alarm and it switches to the news channel, the screen goes back to being dim. So I wind up having to go into the brightness settings and change them manually, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

When I change brightness via a script like above, does the control panel know that the screen brightness state has changed?

If not, is there a place for me to write the brightness value so that the control panel will know I've changed it?

Or is this perhaps a bug?

update II:
no bug after all, just a programming oversight on my part. I did some poking around and found the dimlevel variable in /psp. This value wasn't being set by the change to the brightness register in /proc. So new code:

for setting full brightness:

#!/bin/sh
echo 0 > /proc/sys/sense1/dimlevel;
echo 0 > /psp/dimlevel;

for setting dim:

#!/bin/sh
echo 1 > /proc/sys/sense1/dimlevel;
echo 1 > /psp/dimlevel;

and it's now working as I want. Duane, thanks for the alarm easter egg, it's proving to be very useful.

I'll sixth both suggestions...

I was surprised to find that the night mode was not time-controlled.

Channel should be on a time basis too

shschampion wrote:

I'll sixth both suggestions...

I was surprised to find that the night mode was not time-controlled.

Channel should be on a time basis too

This happens to be a very old thread.  Custom alarms can be set up to both change channels as well as go into and out of night mode.

wayn3w

I would actually like the ability to associate a brightness level to a channel.  I would like to keep my nighttime channel visible at night, but without having to manually change the brightness level to the lower setting when I go to bed, and then manually change it back to the bright setting in the morning.

I second "Droz's" request.  I use a channel at night, so "Night Mode" doesn't cut it for me.  I just need the screen to dim.  I would then like for the screen to return to it's brightest setting during the day.  I'm more than willing to program that in using the alarm functions.