Topic: auto sleep at night

I know from a power point of view it's not important, but watching the Chumby beam along at full brightness at 11:30pm when I'm turning off all the house lights is a little incongruous. It'd be neat if there was an "auto sleep" feature you could set, where it would go to night mode automatically for some range of hours.

Cheers,

Nick

Re: auto sleep at night

nparlante wrote:

I know from a power point of view it's not important, but watching the Chumby beam along at full brightness at 11:30pm when I'm turning off all the house lights is a little incongruous. It'd be neat if there was an "auto sleep" feature you could set, where it would go to night mode automatically for some range of hours

Seconded.

So the click to "Night mode" on the Control Panel is not enough?

I can manage with having to do it myself, but it would be a lot more convenient if there were an option to go into Night Mode automatically at a set time, and 'wake up' either at a set time or when the alarm goes off.

It's a minor inconvenience, but I'd prefer not having to negotiate a small touchscreen when I'm half-asleep.

Chumby birthdate: 10/11/07

OK - I'll take a look at the issue.

Yup - I third that.  It's been requested in a few other threads as well.  That would be great if the night time could be configurable.  Maybe in the future you could even set a "night widget"...this way you can choose a dark colored one as well.

Being able to set a time for when Night Mode turns to Day would be great for those of us who are pretty naturally early risers and NEVER use a sound alarm because the anticipation of that awful BUZZER makes us wake up every 15 minutes anyway. A light cue would be a great deal for that.

This would be cool... But I'd like to option to "wake up" my chumby too... So say my chumby goes to night mode at 10 pm and wakes up at 6 am. Say, for some reason, at 2 am I really want to play a YouTube video on it... I want to be able to override the night mode easily and put it back to bed manually.  (I also have a Nabaztag, which won't wake up early for love nor money, which has been inconvenient at times.)

We've already got cron, all we need is a command to run to switch back and forth.

<b>So the click to "Night mode" on the Control Panel is not enough?</b>

Not really, ideally there should be some kind of light-sensor, however I appreciate that this is one of those things that is easier said than done.

If the device does not play nice in the bedroom then I can see it being banished from that room

My problem is that being an insomniac, unless Mr. Chumby shuts itself off at a set time, I'm going to watch it all night long. That doesn't help the next day at the office.

There seem to be two related but different questions here:

a) How should chumby 'know' when it is night-time?
b) What should chumby do differently at night compared to day?

Sal

b) Switch to a different channel with channel configuration allowing to say day/time mode?

I really think that we should be able to program Chumby to have different channels come on at different times of the day and on different days of the week.  It's really what I imagined Chumby to do and me.

I'd like to be able to set up a schedule, including wake up alarms, for a week at a time (or more).  I want to even be able to program naps, so it would wake me up more than one time a day.

We should even be able to program music to play at different times.

Duane wrote:

You should not have to interact with this thing, it should be event driven (you mentioned in 2006 something about an ambient light sensor, it should be able to use that if the user desires) or you can program it to go into night mode at a certain time, etc.

Again, with the touchscreen being as bad as it is, let us please automate as much as possible.

mfreeman451 wrote:
Duane wrote:

You should not have to interact with this thing, it should be event driven (you mentioned in 2006 something about an ambient light sensor, it should be able to use that if the user desires) or you can program it to go into night mode at a certain time, etc.

Again, with the touchscreen being as bad as it is, let us please automate as much as possible.

The Ambient Light Sensor was voted off the island do to some weird hysteresis issues noted in some other thread, and it's very evident in Alpha Chumbies (the light will go down when the lights go dim, then when the lights come back on, it struggles to maintain the correct output, cycling between a few brightness/dimness stages.

Anyways, I think the right solution (for me anyway) would simply be a software one; schedule a "bedtime" and have the device turn off the LCD until a given "wakeup" time. It would be nice if you could touch the screen and wake the device up if you needed to, and have it automatically turn back off after 5 minutes if it's still between "bedtime" and "wakeup" time. I wouldn't imagine this being too hard to hack into a control panel, if someone wants to give it a shot.

How open is the control panel? I guess I could do some more research into this before posting, but if you could point me in the right direction to start looking at the CP source it would be appreciated.

thanks,
Michael

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … for_chumby
What you're looking for (specifically) is the Flash function _setLCDMute(2);

Keep in mind that the Control Panel is a widget with some "special" functionality. The Default control panel isn't very hackable, but it's entirely possible for you to make your own control panel in Flash (and to implement similar functionality in any scripting language or toolkit for secondary software support).

One of the really hard things about the device right now is that it seems very stiff, but as more and more people start getting Chumbys and the code starts flowing, things will become more open and there will be a lot more in the way of personalization and configuration.

I agree with the post above about a schedule/event-based system to control both "control panel" settings and content.  I care about the weather early and late in the day, but more about news and markets during the day.  I would absolutely want a scheduler for LCD brightness that perhaps could get over-ridden through the control panel.

I'd like to support the basic idea and any/all of the additional suggestions, but also a means of showing an alarm is set without having to go down to the control panel, a dim orange-red asterisk in a corner on the night screen would be great. Call me compulsive, but I must make sure the alarm is on five nights/week and off the other two, so it means putting on glasses and handling the device, something I don't have to do with the clock-radio.

Thank you for what's already a nice device with great promise to come.

/Steve

just tuning into this thread but I would also like to have the ability to set a time for NIGHT and WAKE;  not alarms, mind you, but rather go to NIGHT mode automatically and then automatically switch to WIDGETS at a specified time.  Thanks.

I'd love this feature. smile

robdam1001 wrote:

just tuning into this thread but I would also like to have the ability to set a time for NIGHT and WAKE;  not alarms, mind you, but rather go to NIGHT mode automatically and then automatically switch to WIDGETS at a specified time.  Thanks.

I agree to this.  Although I wouldn't mind clicking into Night mode, my spouse (not a gadgets person) would mind.

I 5th the suggestion to be able to set a time to auto-sleep and auto-wake. Also, not sure of anyone else has a problem with this but my Chumby's sleep mode is still too bright for me ... I have to turn Chumby to the wall because the glow (from the "dark" pixels) is annoying. So, being able to really minimise the glow from the sleep mode would be very desirable for me.

yet another voice to add to the masses.  I agree with the functionality of awalton:

Anyways, I think the right solution (for me anyway) would simply be a software one; schedule a "bedtime" and have the device turn off the LCD until a given "wakeup" time. It would be nice if you could touch the screen and wake the device up if you needed to, and have it automatically turn back off after 5 minutes if it's still between "bedtime" and "wakeup" time. I wouldn't imagine this being too hard to hack into a control panel, if someone wants to give it a shot.