1 (edited by atomicflounder 2007-10-12 05:14:45)

Topic: WPA2-PSK Issues?

Hello all,

I just got the Chumby today, and am having a hard time attaching it to my WiFi network.  I currently have a WRT54G running WPA2-PSK AES encryption.  I checked, re-checked, and re-checked the entry of the encryption key, no dice.  It worked when I turned off encryption, attached with no issue at all.  Every time I get the configuration entered, the chumby tells me that it failed to obtain an IP address (unless I turn off encryption). Any ideas?

Re: WPA2-PSK Issues?

I had the same problem. A reset in the router end cleared it up and everything connected.  I have no idea why.

I tried that as well, my final solution was to change the key. I shortened it a bit, and took out some of the funny characters, it was at 63 characters before.  It was some work to get the rest of the network configured, but, it paid off.

I've seen this behavior before on some other WPA routers.

My experience is that you're not getting the network password/key right, and it quietly fails.  You don't know anything is wrong until the device complains that it can't get an IP address.

My guess as to why they are doing this is to slow down dictionary-type attackes against the wireless network.  If the password is invalid, just ignore it and don't say anything.   That way the attacker has no idea if the password was valid or not until many seconds after a timeout expires.  If the network imediately sent back a "bad password" message, it would make the hacker's life much easier.

Of course, it also messes with us average people who just mess up the password once in a while.

This is just a guess, of course.  All I know is that after I am positive I have the right network password, things work like they should.

Definitely possible, the development staff did everything they could with the on-screen keyboard, but with such a huge entry, its hard to say I typed in the entire thing correctly.

Last night, when trying to use WPA, my new chumby couldn't attach to the network. After confirming wireless was indeed working, and my access point wasn't filtering the MAC address of the Chumby, I experimented with various settings. I discovered that in my case, any time the password included a US dollar sign, $, the password was rejected. The few other symbols I tried worked just fine. Since no other laptops or wireless devices in my house have a problem with the $ password, there would seem to be an intended feature/bug in the Chumby relating to $ in passwords.

WPCoder wrote:

Last night, when trying to use WPA, my new chumby couldn't attach to the network. After confirming wireless was indeed working, and my access point wasn't filtering the MAC address of the Chumby, I experimented with various settings. I discovered that in my case, any time the password included a US dollar sign, $, the password was rejected. The few other symbols I tried worked just fine. Since no other laptops or wireless devices in my house have a problem with the $ password, there would seem to be an intended feature/bug in the Chumby relating to $ in passwords.

This particular issue was identified in the release notes ( http://www.chumby.com/releases ) as a known issue.

The backtick (`), backslash (\) and dollar signs ($) are currently not supported in SSIDs and WPA or WPA2 passphrases. You will need to change your SSID and/or passphrase to avoid using these characters.

The issue has since been resolved and the fix will be included in the next Over-The-Air update.

The backtick (`), backslash (\) and dollar signs ($) are currently not supported in SSIDs and WPA or WPA2 passphrases. You will need to change your SSID and/or passphrase to avoid using these characters.

The issue has since been resolved and the fix will be included in the next Over-The-Air update.

I think I found a work-around for this.  I was frustrated by not being able to connect to the network, and then discovered the above quoted release note.  I figured this was an issue with quoting into a shell script, so I put a backslash (\) prior to the offending $.

This didn't work.

Then I rebooted the Chumby, and it successfully connected to the network!  I guess it unescaped the $ and cached that somewhere, and then passed that password to the right module correctly on reboot.  I'm somewhat amazed that this worked.