Topic: Hacker board microSD Image

Can I get a copy of the image on the micro SD card supplied with the hacker board?

My dog ate the original microSD card.   I also blew it by not immediately reading an image of the card before I started my destruction.

I am building the kernel but I would still like a copy of the original image as a backup and sanity check when I break things badly.

Thanks.

Andy

Re: Hacker board microSD Image

Although most file system and kernel issues can be fixed by booting to the second kernel (krnB) or using the script to restore factory settings it is possible to cripple the SD card.  When you first get the board, lift and pull out the microSD card and use windiskimager32 to read and save the image.   This also is a cool way to replace the original tiny card to a much larger card and increase the sizes of the partitions, save off a milestone of a project or even a hacked up version optimized to play quake on a TV.

This info is on the Chumby forums some place, but I though it was good to restate it here too.

I am running the Hacker board with a 4gig card with a kernel I built.  I've got access to sensors, Ethernet, displaying to TV, RTC battery and an ext3 formatted flash drive for native kernel builds.  Quake even mostly works.

neat, what sensors are you using? i'd like to get a list of easytouse sensors and maybe even some example code for the wiki big_smile

What I've done is set up an Arduino as a http server which supports inline sensor tags.  These are commented tags hidden inside normal html files that the server hosts.   When a requested html file is returned it is parsed on the fly and any sensor tags are concatenated with the matching sensor data.

This allows the server to serve up pretty pages which abstract the complicated details of accessing the sensor.   The server can be visited like a local web server or the chumby can access it and use that data in it's widgets. 

The Arduino is not the worlds best http server, but as a simple http sensor server with limited connections, home cloud use is perfect.

Now on the chumby side a special get file request is sent to the server which returns the requested remote sensor or device data.  Data can be parsed from returning html files, since I leave in the original commented sensor tags with the data.  Files named to the sensor tag name simply return the sensor data text.

Sensor and other data devices then can be made generic and auto detectable by a Chumby on a local wireless network.

Chumby outside temp sensor, baby monitor, front door monitor, etc...  things useful at your bedside.

Shouldn't be a problem to post a link to the image for the card, give us a bit of time to dig around and find the right one...

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

Thanks.

Give this a try: http://files.chumby.com/sean/rom-hackerboard-3320.zip

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

I put it on a card...  looks like the right one.

Thanks.

9 (edited by bob_la_tige 2010-09-16 12:27:36)

Is it possible to copy / directly with the chumby to another card put in a USB with card reader ?

How does one remove the SD card from it's holder?  I wanted to replace the 500mb card with 1 gig or more, but it's in the reader pretty securely and I want to break anything.

mwalimu wrote:

How does one remove the SD card from it's holder?  I wanted to replace the 500mb card with 1 gig or more, but it's in the reader pretty securely and I want to break anything.

If you look closely, you'll see "instructions" etched into the metal.

Use your fingernail to slide the metal part away from the edge of the board - it should then be able to swivel up and you can lift the card out.

I see...all this time I thought the chip moved when it was the metal that moved.  Thanks.

The hackerboard-3320.zip expands to something very different from the image on the shipped SD. DD uploading the shipped SD came to almost 1G and had a different partitioning.

George