Topic: Automatically copy music to Chumby One's flash card

Hi,

I realised I have a lot of unused flash space on my Chumby One, that I wanted to fill in some easy way. My idea was that when I inserted a usb stick with a folder named "Music" on root, it would automatically copy all music to the flash card and remove possible old music there. For this, I created the following script that I stored as /root/copymusic.sh

#!/bin/sh

FOLDER="Music"

if [ -d /mnt/usb/$FOLDER ]
then
 /usr/bin/btplay /root/startsound.wav
 rm -rf /mnt/storage/$FOLDER
 cp -dpR /mnt/usb/$FOLDER /mnt/storage/
 umount /mnt/usb
 /usr/bin/btplay /root/endsound.wav
fi

and added the following udev rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/98-copymusic.rules

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", RUN+="/root/copymusic.sh"

I also borrowed Windows XP's "Hardware Insert.wav" and "Hardware Remove.wav" (they seemed appropriate) and put them as /root/startsound.wav and endsound.wav

Now, when I insert my usb stick, I get a ding-dong, the files are copied over and then I get a dong-ding and can remove the stick again. Success!  smile

Re: Automatically copy music to Chumby One's flash card

Great idea.  Worked like a charm!  Even w/ how crappy the current "my music files" player is, this makes it a little more likely I'll use it.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I'd really love to try this on my Infocast 3.5" (I'm assuming it will work) since my junky flash drive seems to get hot and unmount after a while, but I have no idea how to check how much memory is left on my internal card, I know how to enable ssh and log in, I'm assuming there would be a semi-obvious command to check memory before I add these modification, could you please advise me? Thank you

The command is "df".  To report in useful values, try "df -H".

I like this idea but wouldn't you be better off rewriting the script with some checking to prevent you from using *ALL* extra memory for audio files, and checking the space avalible and used periodically while copying files to the device?... It be nice to have a hard limit where the script will stop/fail if it sees a set amount of space is left on the device..