Topic: Apple Airport Extreme

Just wondering if anyone has experienced any problems connecting their chumby (alpha, in my case) to an Airport Extreme. My chumby has worked with a Netgear router in the past but it is having problems detecting a network with the AE. The AE I have is setup with standard settings that meet the requirements as set out on the Chumby website. I am using the correct radio mode and have tried both no security and WPA2 personal.

Chumby Help is trying to help solve this one...but I was wondering if a forum post might result in some additional ideas/experiences that might help.

A widgetless chumby is a sad, sad thing...*sniff*

Re: Apple Airport Extreme

There are known problems with the Airport Extreme.

In the case of the production chumbys, they only seem to work with WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK encryption modes.  We are currently unable to connect to the base station using WEP.  We have a unit inhouse and this is an open issue under active development.

The problem is that the Airport Extreme apparently does not seem to follow certain standards, and we need to handle them as a special case.

Yeah, I've got a recent model Airport Extreme.  I haven't tried WEP, but WPA works just fine.  As WEP keys can be cracked pretty quickly, I'd suggest using WPA (or WPA2) if you can.

I can report the same situation.  I can connect to a Belkin Wireless Access point but not to the Apple Airport in WEP mode.

This is being fixed in an upcoming firmware update.  The Airport Extreme does some odd off-standard things.

since the software update I can no longer get back on my Airport Extreme network using WPA2 and DHCP?  The weird part is that if I manually put in an IP address, I can get back online and things work fine.  Like I said, I had no problems before the upgrade (hence it was online and prompting me to download the latest software version!)...

I'm ok since I'm back online but was wondering if anyone else is having weird issues like this with DHCP?  It just errors out saying that it cannot connect to chumby.com, etc...  I'm looking for sympathy in numbers, man! smile

Loving my Chumby!

Is this a problem on the AirPort Express also? I can't get my Chumby to work on my AirPort Express with WPA.

OK, with the new 1.2 firmware I couldn't get DHCP to work, but I could hardcode an IP address. So at least it's more than a $180 hacky sack now wink.

blake182 wrote:

OK, with the new 1.2 firmware I couldn't get DHCP to work, but I could hardcode an IP address. So at least it's more than a $180 hacky sack now wink.

Yes, we still have to work around some weird DHCP issue with some of Apple's access points. In the meantime, setting a manual IP address will work just fine.

Hi guys first post.
I have my Chumby connected to an airport extreme base.
The key is in the key.
If you use a 13 character key it should work.
There definatly somthing up with the way that apple has implemented WEP. A longer key will not work very often.
a shorter key is non standard.
Try 13 characters and see what happens.
Yaesumofo

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

Using the airport,
I had to use a 13 character key and the manual setup, same thing I needed to do for my Nintendo DS to connect.
Connected on my first try, no problems since.

I have found in general that the DHCP doesn't work well on the Airport, manual setup works every time, you just need to memorize the ip's you've already used. smile