Topic: Sony Dash?

Faaaaaaascinating:

http://gizmodo.com/5442053/sony-dash-in … mby-update

Will this be relatively open to hacking like the chumby-brand chumby?  And will it run the full set of Chumby widgets?  Because it looks bloody gorgeous.

Re: Sony Dash?

We'll be able to say more later - can't talk much about it just yet.

Heh, fair enough.  I'm very much looking forward to hearing about it.

Congratulations, by the way.  Landing Sony as an OEM is, obviously, huge.

Same here.  As soon as I heard about the Dash, I rushed here to find out what I could.  I am glad to hear that Duane is being coy.  Means that he has announcements, and we hope, good tidings for Chumby.  I just bought one for GF for xmas; one of her first comments was that we needed one for each room.

I will be waiting with baited breath to here what's up.

.conal.

Another link with some better-quality pictures and potentially a few more details:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/07/ces_sony_dash/

I'm hoping the Chumbians may have their own new hardward coming out!  I know they are at CES!

Here's hoping that the Dash is as open as the Chumby One... it looks nice, and if it's as hackable as the C1, I'll likely get one for my living room.

Here's hoping that Chumby working with Sony doesn't result in Chumby's own software development going down the crapper as a result of overly restrictive IP agreements wink

Looks friggin' awesome though. The UI shown on the screen in the photos is definitely my idea of an ideal UI layout for the Chumby, which brought up that thought about Chumby getting put on the back burner... it looks awesome, but will being a Chumby owner mean I'm going to get the second-rate product now...?

I was hoping for something like this, just sad it is with Sony. I have a personal grudge against them (rootkits, format wars, etc.).

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

The Dash looks quite interesting.  If it does come out to be $200 then that isn't too bad either.

The press photos of the Dash show it streaming Slacker radio which is interesting.  The general layout of the screen makes it appear that the Chumby widgets are the regular size/resolution as on the Chumby or it is just minimised.  The Facebook widget is only a small portion of the screeen.

FalconFour wrote:

Here's hoping that Chumby working with Sony doesn't result in Chumby's own software development going down the crapper as a result of overly restrictive IP agreements

The consumer electronics portion has used GPL source and Linux previously so hopefully it won't have any bizarre restrictions.  The computer entertainment portion has supported home development since the PS1 and Linux since the PS2.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

I was hoping for something like this, just sad it is with Sony. I have a personal grudge against them (rootkits, format wars, etc.).

Sony are a huge conglomerate and make a wide variety of products.  Boycotting them means you're not going to be buying much.  Your TV for example most probably has some Sony components in there somewhere.

Ehh about format wars.  The consumer electronics portion of Sony is a business.  Everybody wants to get a bigger slice of the pie.  The rootkit fiasco from their music portion however is just stupid.  I wouldn't put it past any of the other major publishers however...

Yes, I too saw the Sony Dash. One shot had the Chumby type widget small in a corner with other eye candy on the screen and I also saw another shot where the widget took up the whole screen of the Dash (like we are use to seeing a Chumby look).

They say it runs the Chumby OS, is that true to do they mean uses the Chumby Network?

The Chumby OS is not the Chumby UI, right? The Chumby UI is based on the Chumby OS and it's up to the UI developer to make the UI look, act and do what they want?

So if the above is correct, is that why a Chumby only shows the widgets and the Dash can show the same or a screen with a smaller widget and additional content like the  Slacker stream, real time weather and the clock?

Duane wrote:

We'll be able to say more later - can't talk much about it just yet.

When?

The most important questions for me (in order):

1. How does the openness/closedness of the Dash compare to the Chumby? Exactly how customizable will it be?
2. What are the hardware specs? I.e., CPU, flash memory size, etc. (Sony website has minimal details)

Thanks.

I wonder if the Chumby One came out of this neat little Chumby/Sony deal? I still think they both are a little different to be both sellable. I would still want my Chumby One as my alarm clock, but perhaps a Sony Dash for the kitchen verse a Chumby?

What would be neat is to marry a chumby with UPnP support to a great set of speakers and make a great sounding self contained player (i.e. think a 2010 version of a 1980's jambox)

I just hope this deal helps Chumby out financially.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Sorry about seeming "coy" - although it runs chumby widgets, this is a Sony product, and technically, we're still under NDA.

I'll try to get permission to disclose some of the basic information you're asking for.

Don't worry about your existing Chumby devices - we still care about them smile

16 (edited by burkhardi 2010-01-07 10:37:10)

Duane wrote:

Sorry about seeming "coy" - although it runs chumby widgets, this is a Sony product, and technically, we're still under NDA.

I knew it had to have at least one Flux-Capacitor inside of it...

Also, quit reading this forum and get out on the CES floor and have some FUN!!!
You work too much already! Go out there and run around and get all the SWAG you can and don't go to sleep untill the cows come home.

Please share your thoughts on CES when you return, what you thought was cool, what was cool but would not sell, what was lame and what had the biggest 'cheese" factor as wellas what was vaporware from last year and what you think the future may hold (in general of course). Have you been past the Sling booth yet, seems they are launching a butt-load of stuff for placeshifting...

Enjoy yourself!
Reagrds, Matt

Not sure how much I'm going to see - between hanging around our off-site suite and supporting a couple of booths (we have products at Marvell, Freescale, and Sony), I doubt I'm going to get much of a chance to make a pass through the show.

Chances are you're getting more information on the Internet than I'll get here.

I think some of the press reports on the Dash are pretty funny - like "look out Chumby, Sony has a competing product!".

Marvell?  Freescale?  Tell us more? smile

dr_memory wrote:

Marvell?  Freescale?  Tell us more? smile

The Chumby Classic and Chumby One both use a Freescale CPU.  There is an old press release about Marvell CPUs as well but no idea whats actually going on for CES 2010.

I'm actually really happy for the folks at Chumby. They needed to branch out to keep relevant and afloat and Sony is an awesome way of doing so. It's fantastic the chumby brand is doing well.

Plus the dash looks really different -- and slick! Whoever said it would be a good fit in a kitchen or living room had it right. That was exactly my thought (now getting money for this...well, I have till April for that!)

Check this device, the clock looks like a chumby widget

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/09/litl … ent-video/

The Sony Dash *IS* a chumby. just got a preorder offer from Sony Inc..
Knew those widgets looked vaguely farmiliar...

They have a website with it on it already

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto … 10610:dash

joltdude wrote:

Interesting parts of the spec are:
1. It supports WMV9, VC1, MPEG4 and MPEG2 at various resolutions/bitrates including 1080p.
2. It is a 800x480 7" widescreen LCD with a capacitive touchscreen which can handle gestures.  A nice improvement over the current 320x240 3.5" LCD with a resistive touchscreen which doesn't do gestures.
3. It supports AAC and WMA as well as the existing MP3 for audio.  This probably means that basically any online stream is playable now unless it uses a Flash/Silverlight app or it uses RealPlayer.
4. It has a 500MHz CPU with 256MB RAM.  The Classic has a 350MHz CPU with 64MB RAM whilst the One has a 450MHz CPU with 64MB RAM.

joltdude wrote:

THIS IS SOME KIND OF FROD ALSO BECAUSE THEY NOT FEATURE ZOLTAR

I just hope that it ships to Canada