Topic: Larger hi-res screen

I would like to see the chumby in a slimline format with a larger - say 6-8 inch, 800x600 screen - similar to the Make faire hack that Bunnie did.  My reasoning is that it could be more of a communal device rather than a personal one.  It could sit on a sideboard and show weather, and all the usual information at a touch - but also act as an excellent wireless photo frame feeding off flickr and perhaps using the local storage as a cache.

Purely as a photo frame, I think the chumby would be a big win - the current available photo frames rarely support wi-fi - and ones that do support it do so very very poorly or want to charge a monthly subscription.

Re: Larger hi-res screen

DITTO.   Big screen PLEASE

Yeah, and make it pretty!

We showed such devices at CES last year.  It's just a matter of time.

Got any links to some pictures?

Ok, found some info on a Samsung/Chumby partnership.  Back in January it said that the product might be released end of '09 - which is now :-)

Do you have any news on how much further this project has gone - will this product launch at all?

What's scheduled for CES this year, and where will you be?  I'll come look for you guys! big_smile

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to answer these questions.

Sorry.

LOL I fully understand.

CES is at the beginning of Jan - can you tell us if we can look forward to any announcements at all from Chumby?  Will you even be represented there?

It's 2010 - you should ask Dave Bowman what's going to happen.

Sorry Dave, I can't allow that...

You can't even divulge whether you'll have any presence?  I want to know where to come find you guys!

Some of us will be there.  We just can't yet say where yet.  We won't have our own booth this year but you'll be able to find chumbians in booths of some big OEMs.  Will try to update this when the zip is off my lip, but best I can say is to watch the blogs :^)  Sorry to be so coy, but NDAs and all that rot.

Understood, there's things I can't mention about our company's presence at CES as well. big_smile  I'll keep my eyes on the blogs and open at CES.  Good luck!

So Samsung is going to make a larger device with Chumby software/technology? Perhaps the injection of cash from Samsung will keep Chumby in the black financially. I hope it is not an outright take over. I can see how Chumby would be an attractive take over target. This type of device is only going to become more common in the future. Samsung would do well to buy out Chumby while it is still relatively small.

This is all just guessing. I haven't a shred of evidence. It is all just pulled out of my _ss.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I certainly hope Chumby stays independent.  I would hate to see Chumby technology locked into one vendor, and then "closed".  Part of Chumbys value is in the fact that it is a relatively open hardware and software platform.  Asian companies do not have the best reputation when it comes to openness.

I would love to see Chumby technology licensed to whomever wants to implement it - there are so many possibilities!