Topic: Widget switches between itself

We have noticed that sometimes the Chumby gets in to a state where it switches back and forth between the same widget.

The setup we have is one widget on the default channel.

Is this a known issue? is there a fix?

Re: Widget switches between itself

If there's only one widget in the channel and it's reloading itself periodically, I'd check the settings to see how long it's set to display for.  Many of the defaults are 30 seconds or so.  Switch it to "Forever", and you should be ok.

yes one widget in the channel. It typically happens after a wifi loss.

Setting to forever will probably fix the issue as will pinning it. But it seems like a bug to me.
It should not be switching between itself. Or is this a feature ;-)?

I'll take a look at the code - it's possible this is intentional, in order to pick up any new content.

Most widgets seem load their content when they start up,  and would show it forever if they're not refreshed.

I agree that is is desirable for a widget to make sure it is running the latest code but I don't think it should flicker between itself and itself (previous version?) should it find a new version.

Also I believe this happens without updating the widget to a new version (but I am not 100% certain as this seems to happen at random).

I'm not talking about a new widget version - I'm talking about new *content*.

For instance, many, if not most, of the RSS widgets only load the feed when they start up.  If the widget did not restart, then the stories being displayed would never change.

Got it... in that case we should see this behavior all the time, which is not what is happening. For the most part it works correctly and does not refresh itself but once in a while it gets into a state where it refreshes itself about every 10sec.

I am assuming it is not a setting on the widget when I upload it?

Please email me the info about the specific widget, and I'll see if I can reproduce it.  You might have found a problem.

Not sure how to send you widget info since our widget is private.

10 (edited by samkwitty 2010-01-14 19:46:53)

Any update on getting this bug fixed?

Duane,

I am also seeing this on Chumby One units. Is this something that is going to get fixed?

Thanks
-Sam