1 (edited by damengunnar 2009-12-09 16:08:23)

Topic: Internet time plus/minus

New user here - a quick suggestion would be to enable addition/subtractions of minutes to/from the official internet time...I like to keep my clocks a little ahead, but I don't want to lose the accurate time after my Chumby reboots.

Re: Internet time plus/minus

Wow, after all of the efforts we've gone through to make the time correct....

3 (edited by joltdude 2009-12-10 04:14:17)

*Rolls on the floor laughing*.. Actually having the correct time with a predictable offset of minutes is not a bad idea... He isnt the first, nor the last who sets their clock 5-10 minutes *ahead*... or behind (if they are the early type) but keeping it under control (no more than 10 min)..But it definitely should do something to the time set menu in the UI that says Hello im tampered with, perhaps change the color of the set arrows or something in the clock set menu if this is enabled..

Don't believe in completely undoing the clock drifting fixes because at least this is a predictable (fuzzy error).. not an unintentional one. plus technically the time would still be accurate, it would just be a different offset.. kinda like my router which doesnt autoset Dst (eugh)

The problem here is that the time stuff is very low level - there's a standard Linux command that queries the time server and accurately sets the system time, and the Flash Player (and hence the widgets) gets this time by making what are ultimately function calls to the kernel.

There's really no place to intercede in that process to "adjust" the time with an offset without a serious disruption to the system.

Well, what you could do in theory is create a new timezone file and load that in, and that would give you what you're looking for.  You could create a new timezone for your location and have everything auto-adjust.  It wouldn't be that big of an impact, aside from the fact that your entire system has an "incorrect" view of the world.

Hah, nice - yeah, that would actually work smile