1 (edited by jwilkins 2007-07-09 17:17:52)

Topic: Features i'd like to see...

headphone jack
ability to add flash storage (like an SD card so it can be inside and out of the way)
ability to add bluetooth keyboard or mouse for navigating?
rss news aggregator
podcast player
a/c plug and d/c plug
waterproof chumby -- good enclosure so you can take to beach, near water, in rain, boating whatever
internet radio station player -- i REALLY want to be able to listen to internet radio -- like pandora.com
picasa player - so it can run sldie show of my picasa album
a/v input so I can hook up a DVD player and watch movies on it smile

Re: Features i'd like to see...

I like the internet radio idea

mmm....chumby...

I'd like to see bluetooth and A/V *outputs* so I could watch videos and play games on it. Like some kind of simplified Wii gameconsole. would be fun to use those crazy Wii controllers on a Chumby!

two USB ports does offer a lot of possibilities as it stands though. SD->USB and USB bluetooth or USB gamepads. I would vote for internal microSD (not miniSD). they takes up the least space and are readily available in sizes up to 4G.

I wonder why Chumby doesn't have a simple camera in it, seems like an obvious feature that would fit in well with the whole Widgets concept.

I think the reason why there is no camera is cost. Chumby was designed to be low cost, I am sure it is not havrd to add a USB Camera

This is a simple one along the lines of the integrated SD slot, put another usb port inside the chumby. This way we can put a flash drive internal to the unit for some storage space. I just picked up two of the sony microvault "tiny" 2 GB flash drives for $20 each. These are really small drives about 1.25" long and 0.1" thick. Only 0.75" sticks out of the Chumby when inserted, but it would be nice to tuck it away inside.

-HuckFinn

Huck:  I agree.  I have opened my Chumby and located the USB-A female port on the motherboard and unplugged it. Then I ran an extension USB cable from it to my Flash drive and it runs our propietary widget fine; but, of course, Ive disconnected the WIFI.  What I'd like is to know is whether I could plug in a USB "Y" cable into the female motherboard port, run a male plug over to the WIFI riser female port and let a female port accompany the 9v plug into the pouch so that I could hide the thumbdrive in the pouch therby leaving the two external USB ports empty and available.  Will a simple "Y" dongle work and feed both the WIFI andWidget program back through the single USB port on the motherboard?