Re: Chumby One

eddieyee wrote:

Any plans on making Chumby Skins?  ie. similar to cell phone covers?

I think we're expecting crafters to paint or otherwise resurface it.

Given the retro 70's/80's look of the device, I fully expect someone to resurface it with wood vinyl and chrome accents, with a brushed aluminum volume knob, maybe even a retractable antenna for the FM radio.

Duane wrote:
eddieyee wrote:

Any plans on making Chumby Skins?  ie. similar to cell phone covers?

I think we're expecting crafters to paint or otherwise resurface it.

Given the retro 70's/80's look of the device, I fully expect someone to resurface it with wood vinyl and chrome accents, with a brushed aluminum volume knob, maybe even a retractable antenna for the FM radio.

How about a small pair of fuzzy dice to hang off of it? 8-)

Duane wrote:

The chumby one includes the charging circuit and will charge the battery.

The information on the Chumby page says the battery will last one hour. The information also says "AC adapter included". Are you saying that while the AC adapter is connected to the ChumbyOne and plugged-in, the battery charges?

Tokyo1st-Chum wrote:

The information on the Chumby page says the battery will last one hour. The information also says "AC adapter included". Are you saying that while the AC adapter is connected to the ChumbyOne and plugged-in, the battery charges?

Yes.

Hi,
i am totally new to the Chumby, but it seems to be EXACTLY what i have been looking for.
Just a couple of questions before i order two to Germany:

Can you exchange the MicroSD-card against a bigger one ?
Can I attach a hard-disk and will i be able to browse through the folders and subfolders and play music off of it?
what types of video-files are supported natively, what types can be played?
Is there a GMX-email client?
Is there any sort of internetbrowser?
I can attach a USB-Hub and connect a cable-bound LAN-adapter to it?

That´s it for now....

...totally excited....

One last thing:
(I am ex-ipod-touch.user)

Can I only read emails on the Chumby, or can i also TYPE IN TEXT on, say, a virtual keyboard?
USB-keyoard works, I read that.

What would be a Twitter-client without the abilitiy to type....

I would like to see movies of the Chumby OS in action...

Any updates on the EU certification ? Any idea when I could order the chumby one from Finland ?

What voltage will the power supply support, only 110V or does it support 220V as well?

The power supply will accept both 110VAC and 220VAC, and both 60Hz and 50Hz, and comes with the adapters for various countries.

This link goes to an article with a gallery of the device being unboxed - you can see the adapters on one of the pictures.

Woo Hoo! I received my Chumby One shipment notice today via email. It's due to arrive by FedEx next Friday.

I just got mine today!!!  Just finished Registering it, and it's now going though a software update.   I already got a battery in advanced from Amazon.  Under $10.  I popped the battery right it, let it charge about 3 hours, and got home unplugged it and hell it's been running for over a hour now while I've been setting it up Unplugged!!!  The battery Icon still shows it as 3/4 full.   Finished Updating, now I can really check it out.   I did have a Minor Hangup getting it to connect to my wireless network, turned it off in the back and back on and it connected right up.

JBDragon wrote:

I just got mine today!!!  Just finished Registering it, and it's now going though a software update.   I already got a battery in advanced from Amazon.  Under $10.  I popped the battery right it, let it charge about 3 hours, and got home unplugged it and hell it's been running for over a hour now while I've been setting it up Unplugged!!!  The battery Icon still shows it as 3/4 full.   Finished Updating, now I can really check it out.   I did have a Minor Hangup getting it to connect to my wireless network, turned it off in the back and back on and it connected right up.

Can you give us more specifics on which battery you purchased?

@JBDragon

Yes, exactly what battery did you get at amazon?

Let us all know...., please.

klamauk wrote:

@JBDragon

Yes, exactly what battery did you get at amazon?

Let us all know...., please.

I think they got this one.

Mike_TV wrote:

$99 intro pricing will get me to pick another Chumby up for the kitchen just for weather info.  Ambient wants $199 for a standalone weather forecaster and we all know the Chumby can do weather and more for half the price.

Got mine today via FedEx.  Had to bust it out, register it and play with a bit before putting it away until Christmas.  I really like the volume knob on the side.  This is going to fit nice into the kitchen.

66 (edited by FalconFour 2009-12-21 11:26:43)

Another power-related question! lol

I was kinda surprised to not see it listed on the model sticker. What are the actual power draw requirements of the Chumby One? I brought my Chumby to work today, but left the power adapter at home, since we have a few power 5v adapters here. The one I tried to use was 5v/2a (2000mA, obv's), but the Chumby only boot-loops; it restarts just before the Chumby usually pops up on screen, just after the colored googly eyes. And the process repeats again and again.

I imagine it's power related tongue

edit: Imagine my glee when I read that the Chumby One's codenamed "FalconWing" big_smile

"Just after the colored googly eyes" (three seconds or so, maybe) would be right around the time that USB is brought up (including the wifi card), which causes a rather large current drain.  But there ought to be enough capacitance to handle that.  Do you have anything plugged into the rear USB port?  What about charging a battery?  That can draw a lot of current as well.

To answer your first question, the base unit draws maybe 500-700 mA when on full backlight with the wifi card going full-bore.  It can be less if you enable powersave on the wifi card and turn the brightness down.  Devices plugged into the USB port can draw another 500 mA, and battery charging can draw another 600 mA.

68 (edited by FalconFour 2009-12-21 12:04:15)

Huh, that's curious. That does make sense, though. The Wifi adapter itself has to suck at least 500mA out of the plug, and bringing up USB must do it.

I did a few other things, I tried adding a debugchumby file to a Flash drive and plugging it in, thinking maybe the clock overlay trick I did last night was making it bootloop (haven't restarted it since then, so I haven't even seen the clock yet). But it never even brought up the flash drive. I also tried "special options" mode which reboots at about exactly the same time in the startup process.

Curiously, I plugged the Chumby into another, identical, power adapter here at work, and I would constantly get only a white screen just before the colored googly eyes, just as the screen usually flashes. Power button wouldn't even work. Maybe these things aren't really capable of 2A draw wink

Well, one thing's for sure, though: with all these hard crashes, I'm glad it's Flash based wink

I'm pretty sure the supply that comes with the device is 5V/2A, so it's not obvious why these other supplies are failing for you.

Hmm. Sure enough, pulling out the WLAN adapter allows it to start up, but it's pretty much reduced to a glorified alarm clock. Can't even get to the Control Panel, to reduce the brightness, to allow me to plug in the WLAN adapter. The moment I plug the WLAN adapter into the back USB port, it drops dead and reboots. =\

Well, if the original adapter is 2A indeed, it sure must be getting pretty well stressed wink

I'd talk to customer support about this to see if they can't help you out.

Nah, nah. Not a huge deal. The adapter at home still works 100% fine. Although I might want to look into buying another adapter... though with all the international plugs the kit comes with, I can only imagine how much it would cost lol

73 (edited by FalconFour 2009-12-21 14:15:56)

Well... I got it working! (lol) I'm so going to geek hell for this.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/318/1221091412.th.jpg

Got some use out of that old dead power supply I just pulled out... +5vsb is rated at 2a and it comes up fine big_smile

Very cool with the power supply... I was doing work at a remote site with my Chumby One this weekend and I was wondering if I could build a cable to power it off USB.  Answer: no.  Good thing it has got battery support; I was able to power it up when I was testing my widget, and power back down while I was coding and testing on the desktop.