Topic: anyone else having trouble with pandora?

Pandora stoped working for me the other day and I was wondering if anyone else was having trouble. The pandora "window' comes up but the widget just freezes. No stations appear. Internet connection seems fine.

2 (edited by Dodge DeBoulet 2009-09-23 02:52:04)

Re: anyone else having trouble with pandora?

I have my morning alarm set to a Pandora station and it did not play yesterday. I was up quite late last night so I disabled the alarm before I went to sleep . . . so have nothing to report for this morning.

I haven't tried playing Pandora since, but will do so later tonight.

EDIT: Pandora worked fine when accessing it through the normal method, but did not play as part of the alarm event. The alarm definitely triggered (the Chumby displayed the alarm screen with the snooze/off buttons), but no audio. I had confirmed the volume and Pandora station selection last night before turning in, too.

Now i'm having the same issue. If I bring up pandora manually, it works but it will not connect and play as an alarm. Really, its one of the two things I use this thing for (alarm and smallish picture frame!)

Its kinda weird - I've had my unit for some time and its worked great- but lately........I hope the chumby folks will chime in.

We're investigating.

Guys, we need some more information in order to properly troubleshoot this issue you're having.  Please answer these questions to the best of your ability:

1. Are you reprogramming the alarm through the 'custom alarm' menu?  If so, is Pandora allowing you to log in and select your channel for the alarm?  Or was it already logged in and all you had to do was select the channel?

2. When the alarm went off and Pandora didn't play, and you went back into the Pandora music player, did you have to log in, or were you already logged in?

3. When the alarm went off, did the backup alarm play at all?  (depends on if you set the backup alarm to trigger in case the default alarm didn't go off)

Dodge, especially in your case, if there's anyway you can provide a log for us; that would be ideal.  Because you state that you did log onto Pandora before going to bed, and then the alarm didn't go off in the morning.  The log would tell us if either Pandora logged out, or was just taking too long to load the channel.

-Sam

6 (edited by Dodge DeBoulet 2009-09-23 18:45:03)

sam m wrote:

Guys, we need some more information in order to properly troubleshoot this issue you're having.  Please answer these questions to the best of your ability:

1. Are you reprogramming the alarm through the 'custom alarm' menu?  If so, is Pandora allowing you to log in and select your channel for the alarm?  Or was it already logged in and all you had to do was select the channel?

Yes, through the "Custom Alarm" panel. Pandora did not prompt for any authentication, if that's what you're asking. All I had to do was select Pandora from the list of sources, and then the channel once the Pandora channel selection screen came up.

2. When the alarm went off and Pandora didn't play, and you went back into the Pandora music player, did you have to log in, or were you already logged in?

I didn't try playing music through the "normal" means after the alarm failed. I will tomorrow morning though smile

3. When the alarm went off, did the backup alarm play at all?  (depends on if you set the backup alarm to trigger in case the default alarm didn't go off)

I did not have the backup alarm trigger set. Waking up wasn't quite that important to me big_smile

Dodge, especially in your case, if there's anyway you can provide a log for us; that would be ideal.  Because you state that you did log onto Pandora before going to bed, and then the alarm didn't go off in the morning.  The log would tell us if either Pandora logged out, or was just taking too long to load the channel.

My use of the term "log in/onto" may have been misleading. I simply went to the Pandora widget through the normal "Music" button on the control panel, selected Pandora, and it started playing the selected channel.

I've got the output from the control panel logging now. I'll send it to you tomorrow morning after the alarm event . . . just let me know where.

Thanks.

Well, go figure. Starting sshd and stopping/starting the control panel appears to have fixed the problem, at least temporarily. The alarm worked fine this morning . . .

yay?

Well, if it works, it works.  An SSH log will only be helpful to us if the problem persisted.  Let us know if this issue manifests again.

I'm having problems with Pandora, too -- nothing to do with the alarm... Just Pandora in general.  It's pulling up my stations, showing me a tune, but no album art and no sound.  All the other radio options are working fine. 

The silence is upsetting!

Any one else?

Dodge DeBoulet wrote:

I have my morning alarm set to a Pandora station and it did not play yesterday. I was up quite late last night so I disabled the alarm before I went to sleep . . . so have nothing to report for this morning.

I haven't tried playing Pandora since, but will do so later tonight.

EDIT: Pandora worked fine when accessing it through the normal method, but did not play as part of the alarm event. The alarm definitely triggered (the Chumby displayed the alarm screen with the snooze/off buttons), but no audio. I had confirmed the volume and Pandora station selection last night before turning in, too.

It's funny, I have been seeing the same problems for the last month as well!

It is weird, I can access Pandora manually.  And if I edit the alarm and set it for 2 minutes from now, it will go off, and Pandora will play.  But when it goes off in the AM for it, it fails what seems to be 80%-90% of the time now.  Actually it hasn't worked at all for at least the last week or two.

A few things I've done is setup a constant ping to my chumby to make sure that we are not losing connectivity.  I also ping outbound to make sure my internet is working.

There is definitely something wrong here!

When I came home tonight, i went to edit the alarm, and when it got to the part where you pick the channel, there was a nice delay (probably 15-20 seconds) before the list came up.  Makes me believe this is basically the same issue which is causing it to fail at alarm time.  After the delay the first time, when I go back and edit again, it comes up real quick.

Thoughts?

Dodge DeBoulet wrote:

Well, go figure. Starting sshd and stopping/starting the control panel appears to have fixed the problem, at least temporarily. The alarm worked fine this morning . . .

yay?

Please see my other post.  I am having the exact same issues.  i have fired up SSH, so i am happy to provide anything you want to help diagnose this problem.

Maybe related:

Pandora vanished from the list of intarwebz sources tonight on my device, both alarm and regular listening.

Shoutcast will bring up the interface, but goes immediately to "Idle" and displays no stations.  Sleep sounds does the same.  Podcasts come up and play fine from all regular sources.

These were working last night.

I've also tried updating to beta control panel, and rolling back, then forward.  Now I'm searching the forum.
Control panels download and authenticate fine.  Widgets load fine.

Link quality is 98.  My machines, including this one now 2ft from the chumby, are able to log in to Shoutcast and list/stream fine.  My downbound is looking like it's averaging about 12mbit/sec on my primary, and the failover T-span is fine, carrying nothing but a heartbeat for my network.

It does have a nice side effect:  I don't need an alarm now.  I spend all my sleep time trying to get this thing working to some acceptable level of functionality...  [Everything I write from here seems to become sleep deprived snarkiness, so I'm just going to let it go...]

---
I Void Warranties (tm)

That's an amusing symptom...    I just tried reordering the music sources with /psp/music_order

chumby:~# cd /psp
chumby:/psp# cat music_order
pandora
shoutcast
sleepcast
slimserver
directurl
mp3files
noaa
mediafly

Streams are reordered on the chumby - but Pandora is still not in the list, nor is iheart, for example.

Clicking on either shoutcast or sleep sounds brings up their respective interfaces,  displays "searching stations" then immediately goes to idle.

Current: HW: 3.7, SW 1.7.1, FW 1830  [I've upgraded and downgraded several times]

---
I Void Warranties (tm)

Both sources seem to be showing up fine for me.  That seems strange.

Thanks - I'm at a loss.  It was working when I went upstairs an hour ago - now it's not again.

I've raked it over to the side and replaced it with the $7 clock radio.  It seems to be working ok. wink

---
I Void Warranties (tm)

adrenalynn wrote:

Maybe related:

Pandora vanished from the list of intarwebz sources tonight on my device, both alarm and regular listening.

Shoutcast will bring up the interface, but goes immediately to "Idle" and displays no stations.  Sleep sounds does the same.  Podcasts come up and play fine from all regular sources.

These were working last night.

I've also tried updating to beta control panel, and rolling back, then forward.  Now I'm searching the forum.
Control panels download and authenticate fine.  Widgets load fine.

Link quality is 98.  My machines, including this one now 2ft from the chumby, are able to log in to Shoutcast and list/stream fine.  My downbound is looking like it's averaging about 12mbit/sec on my primary, and the failover T-span is fine, carrying nothing but a heartbeat for my network.

It does have a nice side effect:  I don't need an alarm now.  I spend all my sleep time trying to get this thing working to some acceptable level of functionality...  [Everything I write from here seems to become sleep deprived snarkiness, so I'm just going to let it go...]

I noticed the same thing on my Chumby One today. Only music sources showing are:

SHOUTcast
Mediafly Podcasts
New York Times Podcasts
blue octy radio
Sleep Sounds
CBS Podcasts
NOAA Radio by Wunerground
iPod
My Streams
FM Radio
Squeezebox Server
My Music Files

Pandora was fine two days ago. (I didn't access it yesterday).

Per Duane from Chumby...

The issue is being worked. For an immediate fix, reboot your Chumby. I tried it and it worked.

Thanks!  I've rebooted about two bazillion times - but I imagine something has changed since then, so I'll try a reboot a bit later.

On the plus side - Shoutcast and Sleep Sounds seem to be functional again.

---
I Void Warranties (tm)

adrenalynn wrote:

Thanks!  I've rebooted about two bazillion times - but I imagine something has changed since then, so I'll try a reboot a bit later.

On the plus side - Shoutcast and Sleep Sounds seem to be functional again.

Two bazillion?  You might be in the market for a new power switch on that thing. tongue

Naw, reboot from software.  Might be in the market for a new flash though.  How many bazillion cycles are they good for?  smile

---
I Void Warranties (tm)

The two-bazillionth-and-one reboot brought Pandora back to life, so whatever Duane-and-Co did seems to have solved it. smile

---
I Void Warranties (tm)

New user here.  Pandora worked fine last night and first thing this morning, just connecting manually - no alarms.  Now it will not connect and asked for my username and password; which it does not accept and the Chumby locks up.  A few reboots, of course, but same thing happens with Pandora every time.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

mshell wrote:

New user here.  Pandora worked fine last night and first thing this morning, just connecting manually - no alarms.  Now it will not connect and asked for my username and password; which it does not accept and the Chumby locks up.  A few reboots, of course, but same thing happens with Pandora every time.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

In another thread, I reported a similar issue with Pandora. Chumby has graciously asked that I contact Customer Support. Here is what my problem was (and still is as of this writing):

"I've been trying to check out Pandora on my Chumby, but there seems to be some problem with their site today. I'm logged in, but all I get is the login screen. When I reenter my info, it defaults back to the login screen. It doesn't appear on my Chumby, even after a reboot."

Is the same problem you are having?

rskolin wrote:
mshell wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks.

In another thread, I reported a similar issue with Pandora. Chumby has graciously asked that I contact Customer Support. Here is what my problem was (and still is as of this writing):

"I've been trying to check out Pandora on my Chumby, but there seems to be some problem with their site today. I'm logged in, but all I get is the login screen. When I reenter my info, it defaults back to the login screen. It doesn't appear on my Chumby, even after a reboot."

Sounds the same.  I'll give them a call on it as well. 

Thanks.

mshell wrote:
rskolin wrote:
mshell wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sounds the same.  I'll give them a call on it as well. 

Thanks.

From what I can figure out, the Pandora site uses a pop-up window and it was blocked on my Firefox browser. I also updated the Adobe flash player and it seems to be working now. Also, a reminder that you have to be logged into the Pandora site for it to work on your Chumby.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...