1 (edited by sirchadwick 2009-06-17 12:20:54)

Topic: Streamline selection of a widget in a channel: 9-up view

Hello,

the chumby is cool, and I need my information fix quickly in the morning, after waking up: Typically, i check a few widgets and I want to find them fast. Going through the flat list of widgets in a big channel using the left/right arrows at the main screen takes many taps.

Alternatively, show an Icon in the main channel (e.g. a symbolic 9-up panel), once you press it, show a new screen:
- nine widget thumbnails in 80x60, including the current channel.
- below the title of each widget
- two arrows to go back and forth and one to go back to the main screen

Then, once one clicks on a thumbnail, chumby shows that widget.

The whole usage would be similar to the replay mode in digital cameras, they often also show 9 thumbnails to navigate many photos quickly.
Would that be possible?

Re: Streamline selection of a widget in a channel: 9-up view

Hm, no other opinions?

We discussed a similar issue about a year ago in another thread.

I think the take then was to go ahead and develop an alternative dashboard since the platform is open for users to create their own.

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

I would prefer to see the arrows go away from the title. They don't seem to fit well with the limited space UI.

The title of the widget should be a scrolling type of title similar to the Pandora titles. I have found that some of my widget titles are too long but similar in name and I just can't tell the difference between the two unless I try out the widget and realize it is not the right one. A scrolling title would fix that. Perhaps it would stay as it is (Name...Something) until you touch the title to see the scroll.

The left and right arrows as overlays on the mini chumby on the left and righ of the chumby where it would not take up any extra space. Then set up the user interface in this way:

1) left/right arrows - as before (or not)
2) slide left/right - slide the next/prev widget to preview
3) touch and hold - activate 9-up view or something similar. I do like the idea of it being a slide type of view rather than one contolled with left/right arrows.

I think you might even be able to place a "shake" button on the bottom of the mini chumby that would mix up the order of the widgets, but that might be getting too crowded.

Regards,
Jose