Topic: Music interface enhancement

A small change to the workflow for playing music with the Chumby would go a long way in making it more pleasant to use.

To wit:

In the current software, starting up Pandora requires me to click:

(top button) -> Music -> Pandora -> Go To

If the Chumby 'remembered' your last music choice, since most people just go back to where they were....

(top button) -> Music

...Chumby would put you back in Pandora, since that was your last choice. You'd need a 'change station' button somewhere on the landing pages for the resulting channels, but it'd make the day-to-day operation much easier.

Re: Music interface enhancement

It would also be neat if you could control the music via the chumby web page.

I'd like a favourites for Shoutcast, rather than having to search each time.

One problem with that idea is that pandora takes a loooooong time to load and if that was the last thing you played and this time you wanted something else, it would be annoying.

Would it at all be possible to include something like a "favourites" button on the main menu, a list where you can add your favorite stations to?

This would be a nice enhancement. It is like that on the Freecom MusiPal, which I previously had. In this one point the interface
of teh MusicPal is superior.

If Pandora was the last thing you were playing, just hit "Music" then "Play" up at the top of the Music screen (where it also tells you that Pandora was the last thing playing).  So 2 presses from Control Panel (+ 1 press to get to CP if you werent' there already). 

Caveat: this works with My Stream, but now that I think of it I haven't tested it with Pandora.

It doesn't work with Pandora sad  That would help though if that would work

I think Duane has mentioned it before, but it doesn't work with Pandora due to licensing issues.

We *might* be able to make that work with Pandora at some point.

mattyduk wrote:

I'd like a favourites for Shoutcast, rather than having to search each time.

Also it would be great to search für radio-stations not only by name, but also by country and kind of music. Thats the way I was used to with my old, "simple" internetradio. The radio-provider wasn´t Shoutcast, it was Reciva. They also have the possibility to subscribe to radios on reciva.com and the radio-device gets updated with the new channels.
That would be great for Chumby, too.

Unfortunately, SHOUTcast's current searching system is based on simple string matching - it has no semantic searching based on things like location.

12 (edited by grouper 2010-01-23 07:32:09)

Missing music function:
- Direct access to stations from main menu
- Display of Meta information without special widgets
- Display of Filenames in "my files" (couldn´t believe it when I read "Found 224 Music files" and that´s it... I do not need a colour display for that...)

At the moment the music feature is a little bit less comfortable than my 20€ alarm clock....

i agree 100% with the suggestion for having a "favorites" area for music.  it's great that we have so many options but.. it's a pain to have to dig through all of them each time you just want to put on some music.  it would also be slick to be able to configure that area at chumby.com as well as on the device.  sometimes doing something like loading up favorites is just easier with a browser & keyboard.

i'd say that this is far & away my biggest feature request with the chumby.  otherwise, it's great.