Topic: The 9V Battery Connector

I've heard conflicting information about the infamous 9V battery connector inside the pouch at the bottom of the Chumby.  I've heard everything from: "It'll keep Chumby running for up to 30 minutes when unplugged" to "It could cause damage to connect a battery, and it will void your warranty."

What's the official Chumby Industries position on it?  It would be nice to be able to move Chumby from room to room without powering down and up again, but it's not worth a potential catastrophe.

Re: The 9V Battery Connector

Well, the "official" position is that it's not officially supported.  However, the connector is there and does mostly work, with some caveats.

The reason we don't actually support it is that there's a *slight* chance that it could cause the erasure of a USB mass storage device that might be plugged it at the time the battery loses sufficient power to keep the device alive.  Rather than deal with people complaining that the chumby cleared their iPods or erased their only copy of 8 GB of music and precious family photos, we decided to deprecate the feature.

However, if you're careful and don't do obviously dumb things like do firmware updates while on battery, or use your only copy of data in your chumby, then you should be fine.

Thank you for the clarification.

Will the Chumby use the 9 volt connector if power is supplied?

I want to keep a 9 volt in there for when I want to move my Chumby, but I don't want it using the battery power when it's plugged in.

Is this how the Chumby was designed? I don't care about losing data as I won't ever have anything plugged in.

Thanks

It should not draw significant power when the device is on - a decent quality 9V battery should last a long time if the device is never off.

Sounds Great.

I'm really liking my Chumby so far.

Will the device withstand a 12v SLA battery (Sealed Lead Acid) connected to this connector?

I'm at a loss to understand why there's no internal battery to hold the device "up" and connected to WiFi for the time it takes to walk from one room to the next or to an outbuilding. I stream FM stations and need something, else the Chumby just sits by my computer and might as well be a wired device. <sigh>

I tried moving it, riding an exercise bike after rebooting, them moving it back into the bedroom while showering after rebooting, and moving it into the computer room after rebooting, and moving it back into the den for an afternoon of reading after rebooting, and moving it back into the computer room late night after rebooting. But that just really seemed like a whale of a lot of frustrating grunt work that could be resolved by having a 1 Ah battery or so attached.

I did purchase a 1.3 Ah SLA nominal 12 V battery with the intent of somehow making this happen. One way would be to connect the battery in parallel with the external supply cord. I think the 12 V 1 A "wall wart" switching supply should do the trick for both charging the battery over its brief movement supply time depletion and running the Chumby.

Comments?

<bump>

Why the bump?

I can't understand why my Chumby only lasts about 15 seconds on battery power. Tried numerous batterries (new & old) to no avail. Any ideas?