Topic: Use the mic

Hi,
havent noticed any comments on possible use of the Mic for voice activated commands. Not sure if the Chumby has enough horses (resources) under the hood but I would ove to see voice actuivated activity.

e.g.

Play channel

start radio

night mode on

etc

has anyone given this any thought or am I asking for a bit much.

cheers

Nigel

wink;);)

Re: Use the mic

i think there should be a use for the microphone, but voice commands would probably be hard.

We definitely have plans for the mic.  Stay tuned.

4 (edited by P.Naej 2009-01-21 15:44:39)

Before 2030 ? :-)

Bump.  What's the latest?  I have about 30 things waiting on this. smile

Cheers.

No update - I'll tell you when I can smile

Well I am excited to see what becomes of this! ... I hope that there is a hook that developers could use!  I have a slight dream of using a chumby as a window between myself and my wife.  I could use a supported cam and the speakers/mic to make it pretty neat.  Note: not a very well thought out plan (in fact I have not yet checked on the webcam portion of the plan), but unlocking for devs might be great!

Using the mic for Skype would awesome.

Darkbee wrote:

Using the mic for Skype would awesome.

That's totally up to Skype - it's a closed-source system, so they'd need to port it.

I just want to clap my hands twice and have my Chumby switch between Normal and Night mode big_smile

CLAP ON!!!

CLAP OFF!!!

Duane wrote:

I really wish you guys had put in a tiny webcam on the chumby one.  I would definitely be buying a pair of them if I could set one in my house and one in my parent's house and do video calls with them.  And from there, the things would spread like wildfire.

Soon I'm certain small, portable webcams with built-in displays will start to pop up -- the tech is easily there, someone just needs to package it up and sell it, and it'll sell fast once it gets out there.

And once generation 1 of such devices is out, gen 2 will be easy to envision, so it'll quickly take off too -- for gen 2 you put in a camera facing both forward and backward and you add features the chumby already has, like web browsing and fm tuner.

Time is limited though -- gen 3 is an iphone with a swivel camera. ;-)  And who knows, that might come out this summer, so I guess that kind of shoots this idea in the foot, huh?

I did enable webcam support for the chumby one, though we have a cam here that I'll need to add support for (it only got into the mainline kernel in June).  Most cameras show up as /dev/video0, and the bits you read out are just jpeg images.  I was drawing video to the screen by basically doing "while true; do dd if=/dev/video0 bs=32k count=1 of=/tmp/img.jpg; imgtool --mode=draw /tmp/img.jpg; done"

Which sounds great, but what I was suggesting was actually including a small camera at the top of the chumby, just as many laptops have them built into the top edge of the clamshell.  I'm assuming you meant you connected a usb webcam...?  Or did I miss it in the specs that there's actually a camera built into chumby one?

He meant an external camera - there is no camera in the device.

Lurker, what camera did you use?  How many do you think the chumby's weak processor can handle (and what potential framerate could it display)?

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Is it one of those UVC or WTF the generic usb video class cameras are... In fact MS was trying to push webcams in windows Vista/Windows 7 to be UVC devices...

Duane wrote:

To answer the question, Any News about this??  I really was hoping for an announcement in 2009!  Any idea when anything might be said?  Or can you just tell us to hold on more...