Topic: Getting ALL radio stations on Chumby

I was (and sort of still am) a big fan of Chumby, my reason for my dip in enthusiasm is a recent purchase of an iPod Touch.

Fully appreciate that they are totally different gadgets serving different needs, however, the iPod Touch has addressed my ongoing "gripe" with Chumby in terms of radio stations.

There are lots of applications for the iPod Touch, including one called Wunder Radio, that allows me to access any radio station that I like. For example, the main radio stations here are accessed via www.rte.ie  but I cant get them on Chumby, but can get them on the iPod.

I have posted several queries over the past year or so seeking suggestions for how this can be addressed. So, my question this time.......is it possible to build a widget that would be based on Wunder Radio or one of the other iPod radio streaming applications?

thanks

Re: Getting ALL radio stations on Chumby

The Chumby should be exploiting Internet Radio, as it could easily be it's #1 selling point. Unfortunately, I'm guessing it will be relegated to the current lineup of presets, and open-audio formats - you know, since that's more important than pleasing it's users.

nofix wrote:

The Chumby should be exploiting Internet Radio, as it could easily be it's #1 selling point. Unfortunately, I'm guessing it will be relegated to the current lineup of presets, and open-audio formats - you know, since that's more important than pleasing it's users.

It's not "a current lineup of presets" that I have access to, I have access to THOUSANDS of stations in Shoutcast alone. I have not added any of my own stations in the other places because I personally don't have a specific one I want; but between the thousands in Shoutcast and my channels Pandora, I think many think it is pretty awesome and have enough to listen to.

You're too eager, and willing to compromise. Pandora and Shoutcast are both great, don't get me wrong, however, there are many more formats and services that Chumby has the potential to provide. To ignore that, and to ignore the countless requests for services like Slacker, WMA, etc. just doesn't make sense.

More people need to speak up, and demand these types of services.

nofix wrote:

You're too eager, and willing to compromise. Pandora and Shoutcast are both great, don't get me wrong, however, there are many more formats and services that Chumby has the potential to provide. To ignore that, and to ignore the countless requests for services like Slacker, WMA, etc. just doesn't make sense.

More people need to speak up, and demand these types of services.

No compromising here, thank you very much and I've learned you don't get very far in life by demanding. I just really don't get why you bought something not knowing what it was and are doing nothing but complain about what it is not. I received my Chumby over a year ago and it was something I had never even heard of and I ENJOY an hour and a half a day and have access to a lot of really great stuff. Newspapers, weather, MUSIC of more kinds than I can imagine and more than I could possibly listen to, including all my favorite artists and music types on Pandora and Shoutcast, games, cute and fuzzy things, and I get to watch movies on AVOT widget and any video I can think of that I want to see. It is just fun. I'm sorry it is not to you.

They have these other services and subscriptions elsewhere that you might be interested in that have monthly fees, some sort of satellite radio stuff that I am not too familiar with. Why do you get yourself one of those, because this is not that, nor does it really need to be. It is a growing and changing company. They take our suggestions and have added so much in the year I've been here, it is amazing. Not to say something like you are talking about isn't coming; I don't know what is coming, but as I already said, I am fine, fine, fine with what Chumby, Industries has accomplished and is doing.

You're absolutely right, and you said it yourself; "They take our suggestions, and have added so much in the year I've been here ..."

I'll continue requesting, and suggesting. To avoid argument, I'll leave it at that.

nofix wrote:

You're absolutely right, and you said it yourself; "They take our suggestions, and have added so much in the year I've been here ..."

I'll continue requesting, and suggesting. To avoid argument, I'll leave it at that.

I think nofix is right that we shouldn't be complacent.  Just because the chumby is a great product, doesn't mean we shouldn't seek improvements.   If we don't seek such improvements, other emerging technology will become superior to the chumby and the chumby will become outdated.  If that happens, people will stop buying chumbies, which based on its current financing model would likely mean development and support from the company would stop. 

Now the fact that nofix (and I) wish we could access more radio stations, doesn't mean that we don't like chumby.  We just look forward to more innovation and improvement.  If people had been complacent with what Chumby was a year ago, we wouldn't have Pandora, which was the primary reason I bought the Chumby.  Add additional features, like more radio options, and Chumby will attract additional customers looking for those features.

chumby44 wrote:

Now the fact that nofix (and I) wish we could access more radio stations...

Perhaps I'M the one who doesn't get it. I factor in 9 hours of job, 7 hours of sleep, 1-2 of TV, 1-2 of fixing dinner and cleanup, and various other used up hours for other life stuff, I only have an hour and a half of time to "Bedtime read" with my chumby, and during that scant hour and a half, Pandora and thousands of other channels that are already are more than enough for me. I am not trying to be rude in trying to understand, but I just don't, but if everyone else needs more music choices than that, who am I to argue. I just have more going on than to need music choices such as are already in place.

heyartlady wrote:
chumby44 wrote:

Now the fact that nofix (and I) wish we could access more radio stations...

Perhaps I'M the one who doesn't get it. I factor in 9 hours of job, 7 hours of sleep, 1-2 of TV, 1-2 of fixing dinner and cleanup, and various other used up hours for other life stuff, I only have an hour and a half of time to "Bedtime read" with my chumby, and during that scant hour and a half, Pandora and thousands of other channels that are already are more than enough for me. I am not trying to be rude in trying to understand, but I just don't, but if everyone else needs more music choices than that, who am I to argue. I just have more going on than to need music choices such as are already in place.

I admit, I'm a newbie and may be missing something, but my understanding is that there is no easy way to access all of my local radio stations (talk and music).  My wife likes to listen to the local dj in the morning and I like to listen to the local news (and sporting events), but the chumby doesn't have over the air access.  We can access the local stations on their websites, but I guess I just don't know what easy way there is out there to access those through the chumby through presets or alarms.  Those are the functions I would like to have at hand regarding radio.  Others may have other services that they subscribe to or prefer, such as Slacker.   That's not my service of choice, but I'm sure its users would be more attracted to the chumby if there were a way to access it as Pandora is accessed.  That may be more of a licensing issue, but there is no reason for people not to ask for those services.

nofix wrote:

The Roku SoundBridge and Logitech SqueezeBox already do this(among others), so how would it be the #1 selling point? If I wanted iRadio, I would have bought something with a iRadio formfactor and not bought a Chumby. The Chumby has no line out (the headphone can work, but it's not line out), no SPDIF (Coax or TOSlink) and I bet the spec for the audio are not as great as a device made for iRadio. THe OEM speakers are OK, but nothing to jam to.
Sonos is aother way to go too.

I thought Chumby's main dealio was it played Widgets, had a touchscreen and could do clock stuff (and even the clock was not what it was made for according to Chumby).

So other then not having support for a lot of CODECs (e.g WMA.OGG, APE, AAC, FLAC and such), what is the issue, it has Shoutcast which has a butt-load of stations.

Real presets would be nice. WHere you could log into the CHumby's internal webpage and add URL's of your favorite stations.

now don't get me wrong, I love my Chumby and I even use the iRadio too. But to really use iRadio I use my Roku. Heck even a WMLS11B is more geared to iRadio and you can get them for$35 on eBay.

More pending in IMHO would be UPNP support so the Chumby could connect to my media server (e.g. Windows Media Connect/WMP11) or other support like direct SlimServer support (which would give you (NoFix) all the iRadio you wanted) or Twonky or even FireFly. Right now the Chumby is a "dumb client" to SlimServer if the Chumby would work like SoftSqueeze then it would be a great user expericance.

Just my 2-cents worth and your milage may vary, Matt

Nofix.. im curious have you got anything *constructive* to add to a thread?
I have a major hangup with people who keep opening theads on discussions that have already been explained to death... The issue is chumby does *NOT* want to close source AND rewrite the streaming audio subsystem AND pay for licensing on top of it due to microsofts restrictions.. Take it or leave it... Its been discussed to death.. Also what is it with a *sense of entitilement* about people.. Its Open Source, not *If i nag Ill get what I want* code... Its been repeated that they try to add features without compromising their integrety or putting them in a possible patent or copyright bind... There are now competitors but 1. They charge a fee for their service, 2. Widgets are propriatary and cannot be written by end users.... Be happy when things are added, dont just EXPECT everything you demand.

The issue id like to see addressed is its "disposability" and the lack of replacement parts or repair.. but thats a can of worms for another thread.

joltdude wrote:

The issue id like to see addressed is its "disposability" and the lack of replacement parts or repair.. but thats a can of worms for another thread.

This Intrigues me, please email me, I have some questions on this as well and don't want to hi-jack this thread either. I repair several brands of consumer electronics as a hobby.
Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you, Matt

burkhardi wrote:
joltdude wrote:

This Intrigues me, please email me, I have some questions on this as well and don't want to hi-jack this thread either. I repair several brands of consumer electronics as a hobby.
Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you, Matt

Hi Guys

http://www.cdburner.ca/digital-audio-fo … arison.htm
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr … 98670.aspx

You may check this websites for comparison of different audio format in terms of file size, audio duration, and sound quality. But not forget their popularity. I do not think all the TV/radio stations running on mac or linux to broadcast its realtime radio program.

On the other side, even apple/iphone is being sued over lack of WMA support: http://www.iphonetopic.com/news/news-ap … upport.php

regards

stein wrote:

On the other side, even apple/iphone is being sued over lack of WMA support: http://www.iphonetopic.com/news/news-ap … upport.php

That lawsuit was filed over a year ago, and it doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

The general industry consensus is that the lawsuit is completely absurd - you can't force a company to license IP from a third-party company, *especially* from Microsoft.  I suspect Apple hasn't been too aggressive about ending it quickly because they'd like to find out who's bankrolling it.

i remember in this previous thread http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2646&p=2 , Bok said something about being about to license .wma but unfortunately it appears he has not been back in a while.  I dropped him a line asking if I could beta such a thing, but never got a reply.

Maybe I'll drop him a line, too. Couldn't hurt.

vw195 wrote:

i remember in this previous thread http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2646&p=2 , Bok said something about being about to license .wma but unfortunately it appears he has not been back in a while.  I dropped him a line asking if I could beta such a thing, but never got a reply.

As did I, was kinda hopefull there for a while....
You never know smile

Maybe I missed something here, but I (for instance) took about 5 minutes on the 2nd day of using my Chumby with a buddy. We figured out how to connect to streams from KUT-FM in Austin and KERA-FM in Dallas. If your desired station has a Web page with streaming information, it ain't hard.

On the Chumby end, go to Audio; My Streams; New; enter a name for your radio station (Call sign is great) and the URL for the stream. Tap on the appropriate stream type. Then go listen.

Is that hard? Impossible? or did I just miss the whole thing?

joltdude wrote:

Nofix.. im curious have you got anything *constructive* to add to a thread?
I have a major hangup with people who keep opening theads on discussions that have already been explained to death... The issue is chumby does *NOT* want to close source AND rewrite the streaming audio subsystem AND pay for licensing on top of it due to microsofts restrictions.. Take it or leave it... Its been discussed to death.. Also what is it with a *sense of entitilement* about people.. Its Open Source, not *If i nag Ill get what I want* code... Its been repeated that they try to add features without compromising their integrety or putting them in a possible patent or copyright bind... There are now competitors but 1. They charge a fee for their service, 2. Widgets are propriatary and cannot be written by end users.... Be happy when things are added, dont just EXPECT everything you demand.

Joldude - I read all the posts and discussions, so dont need you to point out that this discussion has been played before. However, if you had checked, you will see that there has not been a decent discussion for a reasonable period. On that basis, I felt it appropriate to open the discussion again - but dont feel in anyway that I DEMANDED anything. My point remains valid, if the Chumby is a true internet device, then it should be able to play radio stations that are online. If that involved a cost, I would be delighted to know how much and then consider if it is worth paying.

MY solutions to this:
1. I think that chumby seems to work hard to make the chumby better
2. you can always use "my streams" to listen to your radio stations
3. you can use zamzar.com to make WMA files MP3s.

dermotn wrote:

Joldude - I read all the posts and discussions, so dont need you to point out that this discussion has been played before. However, if you had checked, you will see that there has not been a decent discussion for a reasonable period. On that basis, I felt it appropriate to open the discussion again - but dont feel in anyway that I DEMANDED anything. My point remains valid, if the Chumby is a true internet device, then it should be able to play radio stations that are online. If that involved a cost, I would be delighted to know how much and then consider if it is worth paying.

Dear dermotn,
I cannot and am not speaking for Joltdude, but what you might not realize, is that (I think) Joltdude was not speaking to you about this thread in particular. He was speaking to N___someone else...and the things he said covered many threads, many issues, many days, MANY repetitions of the same thing and many subjects and this particular thread way back when, was where it all came together. Anyway, I just wanted you to know. Good day to you!

23 (edited by joltdude 2009-03-06 15:19:25)

heyartlady.. For the most part you *can* speak for me anytime.... Dermotn The comment i made was directed at nofix not yourself.. but the point of having all radio stations online is absurd, though pandora and iheartradio are both attempts to help deal with the issue.. Most companies use DRM protected WMA files to stream their audio... and you really should be looking to them.. Truth be told most dont want to change because they want control over the content stream and the ability to push ads to you while streaming (which WMA allows for.. ever see a web player app?)

Recieva based units have some of the same issues...

If you would like the current streaming software to be unavalible and the control panel locked from further addons.... you can have your WMA..
but chumby would have to basically reinvent the wheel.. Bok's solution would be ideal since thered be some licensing loopholes...

joltdude wrote:

The point is moot since I no longer own a chumby. Just a chumby shell with a broken touchscreen that i supposedly used a knife to cut open.. and at 200$ a whack i have no intention on replacing something so fragile/disposable. No parts avalible for it, no b-stock... Im wondering how many chumbys end up in a landfill... its as bad as a cellphone!

I'm confused - what happened to your screen?

acb73737 wrote:

MY solutions to this:
1. I think that chumby seems to work hard to make the chumby better
2. you can always use "my streams" to listen to your radio stations
3. you can use zamzar.com to make WMA files MP3s.

zamzar looks cool . . . if only there were such a service to resample streams in near real time!