Topic: music timer

how about a misic timer for when you are going to sleep and you want a music channel to play for an hour or so. i know you could set something up through the alarm menus but i think a timer button in the music screens would be easier and faster. maybe a timer button next to the stop button in the music title screen - when pushed brings up a "play for how long?" screen.

Re: music timer

I second this.  I cannot duplicate the "sleep" function of a clock radio with the Chumby.
Clock radio "sleep" function needed.

A clock radio has a sleep switch that allows the user to set it for (say) 60 minutes.  During that time the station may be changed as often as desired, but after 60 minutes the sound shuts off.

I tried to duplicate this with the Chumby.  I found 3 methods, but none work well:

1.  Use alarm as a count-down timer:
    a. set alarm Schedule = One Time.
    b. set time = now + 60 minutes.
    c. set audio = NONE
    d. set action after alarm = Night Mode.
     Problem: if I play a SHOUTcast station it defeats the sound shutoff.  I.E. after 60 minutes the
     sound persists, even though I have set audio to NONE.

2.   Same as 1, except
         d. set action after alarm = Power Off.
This lets me play stations, but the alarm turns off Chumby so that subsequent (wake-up) alarms cannot fire.

3.  Use alarm duration at the listening time:
    a. set alarm Schedule = One Time.
    b. set time = now + 2 minutes.
    c. set audio = SHOUTcast.
    d. set duration = 60 minutes.
    e. set backup alarm = NO.
    f. display alarm/snooze screen = NO
    g. set action after alarm = Night Mode.

Problem: If I change stations during the alarm duration, it terminates the alarm function and the sound persists after 60 minutes – it does not shut off.

I suggest that method 1 be allowed to work by terminating all sound when the alarm fires.  If this seems unnatural behavior for an “alarm” introduce a “sleep” function that is just a count-down timer for the audio.

come on, doesn't anybody else think this is a good idea. every alarm clock has a radio sleep timer. my tv even has one. anyways, i  hope it could be put into the works.

thanks

This is already on the product roadmap, so I think you can expect it in a future Control Panel.

You could create a script linked to an alarm (see http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … _actions). But this of course assumes you have a a usb pendrive attached

Or you could have an alarm that uses a stream. The stream would be something like "http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/mute" and  the cgi script would mute volume

nosajay wrote:

come on, doesn't anybody else think this is a good idea. every alarm clock has a radio sleep timer. my tv even has one. anyways, i  hope it could be put into the works.

thanks

Believe me, you're not alone! Search for "sleep" and you'll currently find **5** pages of of comments (and I know there are more because I'VE posted on this issue at least twice and mine aren't included in the search. In my view, this may be the BEST idea yet to be included.
-Carl

Duane wrote:

This is already on the product roadmap, so I think you can expect it in a future Control Panel.

Hoo-ray! How soon is "future", do you think?
-Carl

carldc wrote:

Hoo-ray! How soon is "future", do you think?

Every time I attempt to answer that question I get abuse from people when I'm wrong, so I just don't answer it any more.

Sorry.

How about publishing the "product roadmap" (without dates, and without much detail)?  I understand this might put you at a disadvantage with your competitors.  Few companies do this (but some do, like Intel, AMD).

I like my Chumby, but almost considered returning it and getting an "internet clock radio".  But given what I understand to be future plans, I will hold on.  For what it is  worth, my main concerns were/are:

1.  No presets (i.e. a menu) for "favorite" audio sources.  E.G., every time I want to listen to the BBC, I have to go through the SHOUTcast search procedure.
2.  No "sleep" function (as discussed in this thread).
3.  Lose AC power, lose the alarm.  I understand this is hard to fix, requiring a hardware change.  I can live with it via my battery alarm clock next to my Chumby.  Couldn't the Chumby's 9 volt battery do nothing more than trigger the backup alarm (maybe without even lighting the screen) if power was lost?
4.  Use of Flash for Widget development.  I wish you had used Java since there are better (free) development environments and it is more widely known/available.  But that's just my (political) opinion.

Despite the above darts, I think Chumby has a great future and I am glad to be a customer.  In addition to being a truly unique product the "developer friendly" environment and the active forums for user feedback put this product in a class by itself.

A few months have passed on this now.  Any word on when it will be implemented?

Hi,
would like to add my voice to comments above about a published roadmap. I understand your concerns about raised expectations but I think its reasonable to publish the content of the future releases without a timeframe.

cheers

Nigel

smile=)=)

I'm actually working in this feature at the moment.

Great !
I was thinking about this last night as my Chumby was playing music to sleep by.

Duane wrote:

I'm actually working in this feature at the moment.

Duane,
can you advise what the beta situation is please e.g. as your working on the timer code right now will this be in the current Beta - that is does the beta represent a nightly build or is the beta a previous cutoff that is already packaged up.

cheers

Nigel

The current "beta" is actually identical to the current production release.

"Betas" are done the traditional way - they've gone through "development" and "alpha" stages within the company, with some level of QA, before being made public as a beta.

If possible, would you consider an option to automatically play music for a certain amount of time after the alarm is shut off?  Basically what I'm looking for is that when the alarm triggers, it lets me hit snooze on it a few times, and then when I actually hit 'alarm off', it plays music for an hour while I get off to work (the same music source that is set for the alarm is fine).

I appreciate a minimum of complexity... no eyeglasses, coffee or shower yet when I do this first thing in the morning... so as much set up automatically beforehand as possible would be a big help.  I'm basically lazy and I don't want to do have to do anything but turn off the alarm... sure I can punch up the control panel to play music and then turn it off before I walk out the door... but I should be able to have all that happen just turning off the alarm.  I think the Snooze and Alarm Off 'buttons' are too small as it is, I'm considering interfacing retinal position sensors so my Chumby turns off the alarm when I give it a mean look.... which isn't very often... I <3 my Chumby :-)

~~~ Visual Echo ~~~

Is this still an issue? I think a simple custom alarm will resolve the issue?

I tested this and it worked perfectly.

I posted this fix before and I think it will help others:

Set up a custom timer called "Sleep". Set it up to play what ever music for however long you like.

So now it is say 11:35pm and you want to listen to music before you go to bed. Go into your custom timers and choose the "Sleep" alarm you created and hit edit. The first option is to change the time the alarm starts. Change it to 1-2 min later. Then click done. Wait 1-2 min, the alarm with music starts and plays for however you set it for. Done.

You could even set it to go into night mode so it would be dark while you are sleeping. (make sure you adjust the brightness on the night mode)

Good Luck!

The next version of the Control Panel will have a music timer.

Duane, This might be covered elsewhere, so forgive me if it is. WHEN the new control panel is released, I think it automatically uploads if the chumby is turned off and on. Mine is on 24/7 and I'm worried I might miss it, or is there an announcement OR does it automatically upload to 24/7's. Stupid question, but, that's the best I could do to get what I don't get. Thanks, BZ

A user has to explicitly choose to get the beta Control Panel, using the website.

When a new release Control Panel goes to production, it is loaded the next time the chumby is restarted.

Well, I guess that's what I'm confused about (but you know there is REALLY much, much more that I AM confused about) that at one point I had the Beta and I could tell because there was this halftone pink Beta word that appeared on my screen. But it is gone now, so I assumed Beta was over. Can you direct me back to Beta....back when I selected Beta as my control panel there were things on beta that are now on regular, but just last week I noticed I didn't have that pink half-tone Beta word anymore. (and I don't know what I did to lose it). Still, happy as a clam, though. All, except for that screen-tap thingy, but you knew I would say that...even if it is a Christmas Orna...A Hallowee...OH! Yeah! An Easter egg! :-)

When a beta Control Panel goes final, the beta version is replaced with the final version, so they are both identical.

When we release another beta, if you still have the beta selected on the web site, then the "BETA" watermark will reappear.

Sorry, I had Beta once before but can't find my way back there. Tell me where to go...NOT EVERYBODY! Thanks, Duane. B

Found it again! I'll let you know tomorrow if I have my half screen beta back.

Got my beta back and I have to say that I LOVE that music timer! Thanks all at Chumby!