Topic: Oh, there shall be venting.

Right.

Love the gadget.  Love the business model.  Wish Chumby only the best.  Yadda yadda yadda.  Long time booster, tricked three friends into buying one, very comfortable with the technology, delighted to see things advancing by leaps and bounds, yadda yadda.

But I am SO.PISSED.OFF at Chumby right now.

The iPod wasn't the first MP3 player.  It certainly wasn't the most feature-laden.  And it sure as hell wasn't the cheapest.  What it was, however, was the most ergonomic.  One switch, five buttons, one dial, one display.  XML at its finest.  And before long, Apple was Wall Street's darling. 

It's all about the UI.   It doesn't matter how much more awesome the Rio or the Archos or the Zune or whatever else is; it comes down to what you have to do to get the gadget to do a trick.  A crapload of buttons on the remote makes it look impressive; it helps sell the DVD player.  But once you've spent a couple friday evenings hunting for the "PLAY" button because they put it next to the "MULTI-ANGLE CYCLE" button, that big, impressive remote is what makes you watch cable instead.  It doesn't matter how many snazzy features your gadget has if it's such a stone cold PITA to make it do it that you'd rather go without.

So let's talk about the new control panel.

I've got a useful bit.  An audio slider.  FINALLY.  Thanks.  Great to have.  I've still got my widget display; fair 'nuff.  But you know what?  I've never sent, rated or deleted a widget from the control panel.  Know why?  I have nobody to send it to, I can't re-order anything on the Chumby itself and if I delete something, I've got to log onto the web in order to replace it.  So I might as well do all that foofraw from the web anyway.  So, great.  That's an eighth of the (tiny) screen that's completely useless to me.  And frankly?  I know what the Chumby looks like.  I'm staring at it.  Why do I need a chumby "avatar" in the middle of my Chumby screen to tell me where the widget goes?  If I could expand that to fill all the dead space, I could maybe actually see something.

Awright.  So I've got my audio slider (thanks) and I've got my worthless mute button.  'cuz now I've got a volume slider.  So let's get rid of that and give me some useful space.  And I've got my Channel button - about the only screen that doesn't follow any sort of "channel" nomenclature.  I've gotta hit the "change" button in order to actually get to it.  I don't have to do that on radio stations.  I don't have to do that on widgets.  Why do I have to do it on stations?  Still?  After nine months?

But I'm still not totally pissed off.  I'm still working with you guys.  You're well out of iPod territory.  You're kind of hanging with the Minidisc.  Fairly straightforward, intuitive controls that... take extra effort for no obvious reason.  Could be worse.  Let's check out the "Music" button.

Ahhh, yeah.  That's the trick.

See, here's the thing.  I know you've got your partners.  I know you're ad and partnership driven.  I get that.  And I want to help you guys out, really I do.  But if the content isn't compelling, making me slog through it won't make it any more compelling.  And it won't make my content any less compelling.  On the contrary, it'll make me want my stuff more, want your stuff less, and make me hate you in the process.  Here, walk with me.

I've got internet radio stations I like.  I've got Nicecast to stream my iTunes to this thing.  And I've got an alarm clock on the computer that I use from time to time to wake myself up (because I like your alarm clock not a whit - but more on that later).  And where is it?

-Under Shoutcast
-Under Pandora Radio
-Under Mediafly Podcasts
-Under NYT Podcasts
-Under CBS Podcasts
-Under Radio Free Chumby
...and now we click with our thumbnail...
-Under NOAA Radio by Wunderground
-Under iPod (which we ignore because it bogs to the point of death when I plug in my 30GB iPod Video - so what's the point?)
THERE IT IS!  My streams!

(We'll ignore for a moment the fact that if I were using a squeezebox it'd be another click and if I had a jump drive plugged in the back it'd be still another... but we WILL highlight the fact that the company that says "Wake up to your Internet life!" would so prefer I wake up to SOMEONE ELSE'S INTERNET LIFE that they bury MY content under six different options that I didn't pick)

So.  Two more clicks and there's the streams I entered in laboriously.  And I get to see three of them at a time.  Wait a minute - when I was looking at the sources, I could see them six at a time.  But now that they're my content, they're Fisher-Price sized?  So if I went through the rigamarole of entering arcane m3u locations on your touchscreen keyboard, that proves that my vision is so cooked that I can't see more than three of my stations at once?

...and why can't I re-order them?  I have a hard time thinking of a single button on the chumby quite as large as the "DELETE" button on "my streams".. but there's no "move up/move down" buttons? 

(And by the way - if I can squeeze the switch and wiggle the chumby side to side to scroll through widgets, why can't I squeeze the chumby and roll it back and forth in order to scroll through your lists?)

...no matter.  There, under a good two dozen clicks, is *my* content for *my* "internet life."  I've found it.  Yay.  Let's wake up to it.

1) Alarms
2) Custom Alarm
3) New
4) Daily
5) Next
6) (set it - this ain't so bad)
7) Next
8) down arrow
9) down arrow
10) down arrow
11) down arrow
12) down arrow
13) down arrow
14) down arrow
15) down arrow
16) my streams
17) next
18) down arrow
19) down arrow
20) down arrow
21) down arrow
22) down arrow (see, I've created eight "streams" and "Nicecast" is the last one... because I can't. re-order. them.)
23) iTunes Nicecast
24) select (huh - that didn't really look like it did anything)
25) up arrow
30) up arrow
31) up arrow
32) up arrow
33) up arrow
34) up arrow  (I ramp up the music on Nicecast - 'cuz I can do that - and I can't on the Chumby - and that takes six key presses to get it to 55 min)
35) next
36) No, I don't want your backup alarm, because the maximum I can wait for your backup is like eight minutes.  Not only that, but you have no sensing to tell whether or not your alarm has gone off.  It's amazing.  The thing is passing audio, but it has no idea if it's passing audio or not.  Spectacular.  So although having a backup alarm is nice, it's kind of a "in case of armageddon, break glass" failsafe rather than an actual "backup")
37) Next - yes, I'll take your snooze screen with your equally sized, equally colored off/snooze choices that give me no ability to cancel the snooze whatsoever.  I guess that's the choice I get.  It's amazing that there's 31 different *categories* of widgets, but there's exactly ONE *lame* alarm panel...
38) Next - Fine.  Snooze can be five minutes.  I'm 38 keypresses (not including the times when the Chumby didn't track my presses) into this and I'm fatigued enough to take what you give me.  I'm starting to think that's your whole point...
39) great.  Let's pick a channel.
40) down arrow
41) down arrow
42) down arrow
43) down arrow
44) down arrow
45) select
46) next
47-62) Oh, god.  The keyboard. fifteen keypresses to label my alarm "This is a test"
63) Done
64) done

Oh, so very done.  64 keypresses to wake up to my audio at the time of my choosing.  And we won't count the times I had to go in and say YES I REALLY WANT THIS ALARM OFF AND THIS ALARM ON because for some reason, the Chumby likes turning alarms on when you press "done"... but we'll forgive that because this is, after all, "beta" software. 

By way of comparison, however, eight keypresses is *three hands of blackjack.*

The iPod basically enabled people access to their music through a very simple interface.  The Chumby, on the other hand, is sort of an "unPod" - it denys people their "wake-up" and their "internet life" through an excruciatingly byzantine interface.  I understand that there's a lot of power under the hood and it takes a lot of configuration to make it go - and Apple offloaded all that onto iTunes like the mewly bunch of cheaters they are.  I get that.  Here's what I don't get -

...why doesn't Chumby do the same?

Watch me rip through alarms on a webpage.  Watch me reorder music streams, configure my own pages, pick my own alarm screens and customize the BEJEEEZUS out of my user experience with just a little flash.  I'll tear this sucker up - it'll be mine, and I'll love it, and it'll be great, and I'll want to interact with it, rather than go configure my Mac Mini to wake me up because hot damn I can do it with five clicks of a mouse instead of 64 clicks of my thumbnail.  And when I do that, I might even interface with the thing enough for you guys to send ad content my way.  Which will make you money.  Won't that be neat?

...and I won't hate you for having a great idea and then clobbering me every time I try to share your dream.  'cuz I'm worn out.  I really love the idea of this little thing... but I cannot.believe how little regard you guys have for the fundamentals of UI design.

I wish Chumby all the best.  I hope this little thing takes off.  This is a great community, you're great people, you've got great ideas...

...and you're killing me with this amateur crap.

Sincerely,

Seth Talley

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

Re: Oh, there shall be venting.

To quote someone...

There's a certain sense of entitlement from a lot of people who post
on the boards who seem to think that because Chumby is open source
hardware and software then it's somehow OK for them to make demands
that they'd never think of making to, say, the company who built their
computer.

joltdude wrote:

To quote someone...

There's a certain sense of entitlement from a lot of people who post
on the boards who seem to think that because Chumby is open source
hardware and software then it's somehow OK for them to make demands
that they'd never think of making to, say, the company who built their
computer.

You think I don't make such demands of *everyone* I work with?  Has the concept of the free-market economy somehow evaded you lo these many years?  Most importantly, what part of "we want your Beta feedback" don't you understand?

I stopped using Windows hardware when it became readily apparent that I would be spending more time, not less, configuring systems to work and that once configured, they'd run with greater instability, not less.  Could I talk to Bill Gates?  No.  If I could have, I would have said "Hey, Bill - I think there's some great stuff here but you're killing me with these IRQs and DLLs and registry hacks just to get audio to move from one side of the soundcard to the other.  You can't seriously expect consumers to put up with this; you're in serious danger of losing the creatives forever and I'd hate to see that.  I mean, I built my first PC at the age of six and grew up in a family that manages over ten thousand of them and this?  This is bad."

But I couldn't.  So now I'm on macs. 

I spent ten years as an audiovisual consultant.  In addition to a couple dozen companies you've never heard of, I did product consulting for Sony, Denon, Yamaha and JBL.  It was part of my job for two presidential terms to look at pre-release hardware and software and go "Did you think of this?  Have you tried that?  Any particular reason why it has to be like this?  ...'cuz it's going to piss *everyone* off the way you've done it."  And since I was the guy who specified what other organizations bought (by the dozen or by the hundred) I thought pretty carefully about what I had to say.  And the people who asked my opinion tended to listen.  It was a free exchange of information with no ego involved on either side - I wanted good products to specify and they wanted good products to sell.  That's capitalism in a nutshell.

I'm part of seven betas right now - four closed, two NDA - not including Chumby.  The whole point of a beta is to try and break the product so that when it meets general release it's stable enough, robust enough and ergonomic enough that paying customers get their money's worth.  If you don't "participate" in discussion and testing on most serious beta programs, you get dumped.  Why give you the software/hardware if you aren't going to put it through its paces?  That's like hiring a test pilot to wring out the X-15 only to have him commute from Malibu to Vail every third Friday.

And finally, Chumby has provided this forum, and a subforum called "Product Suggestions."  Look around - you may notice that it's full of people with "suggestions" on how to make the "product" better.  Chances are good that anyone making a "suggestion" about the "product" figures that it could be improved.  I reckon Chumby Industries provided such a forum because they're interested in improving their product.

But I'm sure they also appreciate the "dissent is heresy" viewpoint, too, my friend.  "Thou shalt not criticize The Steve!  iPods are good and wonderful and you only need one mouse button anyway and what, exactly, is your problem with white and black?  Do you hate freedom?" 

Look - when I'm part of a beta, I participate in it.  When a product gets so maddening during beta that I feel I can't continue, I drop it.  It's happened three times (All three products, incidentally, no longer exist).  And when I drop it, I tell the developer why.  Privately.  If, on the other hand, there's a discussion space, I'll send up a red flag when things start to get ugly.  Which I just did.  The whole point is to provoke discussion and bring attention to the issue.  And typically?  The guys saying "Chumby - love it or leave it" are the ones told to STFU and GTFO.  'cuz they're the ones being... unhelpful.

Slave to the Light, Inc.
www.slavetothelight.com

I'll bring this thread to the attention of the appropriate folks, but a couple of comments:

1) The negotiations to bring most of these music sources to our users *for free* were very delicate and difficult - the practical reality of offering these required us to allow certain explicit ordering.  We could have had a much more user-configurable system, but the list of available music sources would have been much, much smaller.

2) I'm sure you understand the difference between a volume control and a mute button, so I'll assume this is hyperbole.

3) If you can come up with a different method of entering arbitrary text without a keystroke per letter or a full predictive dictionary, I'd love to hear about it.

4) The "backup alarm" was designed to maximize reliability, as *very* loudly demanded by our users.  Again, the practical reality is that reliability necessarily comes at a cost of flexibility.

5) The list in the "My Streams" screen shows fewer entries because it has another row of buttons that the other screens don't.  It has been a constant struggle to make buttons that are large enough to press while also showing information.  As we gain more experience with these designs (you can see some evolution in the Pandora section), it's quite possible that some of these screens will be revisited.

Ah I just noticed this:

No, I don't want your backup alarm, because the maximum I can wait for your backup is like eight minutes.  Not only that, but you have no sensing to tell whether or not your alarm has gone off.  It's amazing The thing is passing audio, but it has no idea if it's passing audio or not.  Spectacular.

Some explanation - yes, we can certainly tell whether or not we're shoveling audio data to the hardware codec.  What we don't know is whether the user is hearing anything.

We had a couple of users complaining that they didn't hear the alarm because they had headphones plugged in.  The alarm was working perfectly - the audio was streaming, being decoded, sent to the audio hardware, and audio was coming out of the assigned audio device.  Other users had accidentally turned the alarm audio volume to nothing.

Now, of course, we *could* point to the users for effectively disabling the device then expecting it to work anyway - however, the reality is that *we* get blamed when the guy doesn't wake up.

The solution we went with was for the backup alarm to assume that if it fires that the user didn't hear anything, turn off the speaker mute and pump audio out both the built-in speakers *and* the audio jack, at full volume.  Rude?  Yes, of course - but the goal is to wake the person up, not be pretty about it.

The other solution was to listen on the mic input and auto-correlate the input with the audio being generated in order to detect the sound of the alarm - an absurdly high-tech solution that's impractical on such a low-performance device, and technically fragile enough to reintroduce the unreliability we're trying to avoid in the first place.  Sometimes simple is better.

The reason for the short delay to backup alarm is that we couldn't think of a scenario where a user would want a backup alarm to fire much after the primary alarm.  It would be like having a backup fire sprinkler system that turns on after the house has already burned down.  Our assumption was that the user was interested in waking up more or less around the time the alarm was set for.

Duane - I sincerely appreciate your time and (neverending well of) patience.  My reason for writing is to offer my insight into your product and a dialogue is far and away the best way to accomplish it.  Thanks very much for engaging in one.

Duane wrote:

1) The negotiations to bring most of these music sources to our users *for free* were very delicate and difficult - the practical reality of offering these required us to allow certain explicit ordering.  We could have had a much more user-configurable system, but the list of available music sources would have been much, much smaller.

I understand and appreciate this.  I also sympathize with your position.  I wished to draw attention, however, to the fact that the current utilization of that prime real estate does not increase the value of that which occupies it.  I have woken up to the NYT podcasts in the past, and I likely will again.  However, most of the time I'm tripping over them.

An observation - if it were possible to configure alarms over the web, your partners would have much more screen real estate to advertise to me.  not only that, they could hotlink to their own servers to show me fresh, updated banners and teasers while I configure my alarm.  Instead of popping up with one line of text, they'd have an actual banner space.  I wouldn't mind that at all; with a mouse, a keyboard and an WXGA display I can get a lot more done than I can with a fingernail and a quarter VGA screen.  And with a scroll wheel I can get through stuff in my way much quicker and, therefore, with much less resentment.

Duane wrote:

2) I'm sure you understand the difference between a volume control and a mute button, so I'll assume this is hyperbole.

Not entirely.  The volume slider is as big as the mute button and it's right next to it.  Why can't I tap the grip on the volume slider and have a big red X show up and mute it?  If, on the other hand, I press and slide without raising my finger, it acts like a slider.  That wouldn't take long to get used to, if at all, and you've freed up a button.

(like, say, a "brightness" toggle.  Press it once, high bright.  Press it again, low bright.  I'd use that a lot more than a mute button, now that I've also got a volume slider, especially since "display brightness" is not a parameter I can access through alarms)

Duane wrote:

3) If you can come up with a different method of entering arbitrary text without a keystroke per letter or a full predictive dictionary, I'd love to hear about it.

Sure.  Give me the option of configuring that stuff that requires keyboard entry via the web.  I mean, I'm a captive audience.  I'll look at any ads you throw at me.  And you've got lots of real estate.  The entire issue is there's too much to do and not enough tools to do it with.  If I can configure my alarms and events in the same interface I *HAVE* to configure my channels from, I'm happy, your advertisers are happy and lo and behold, I suddenly have remote control over my Chumby while I'm away.  I think that'd be pretty handy, don't you?  I mean, as it is, I don't add new widgets unless I'm bored.  I can't do it over the Chumby anyway.  But if you've got a "featured widgets" or a "new widgets" corner of my screen while I'm configuring my alarm, chances are good I'm going to browse to it. 

You've got a portal that is fundamentally required to enjoy the Chumby.  I don't understand why you don't try to maximize the time I spend there.

Duane wrote:

4) The "backup alarm" was designed to maximize reliability, as *very* loudly demanded by our users.  Again, the practical reality is that reliability necessarily comes at a cost of flexibility.

(...much backup alarm discussion digested but not quoted...)

I understand that.  I was one of them.  I also appreciate the choices you were forced to make.  I agree that a whole bunch of hardware tomfoolery is not the solution.

But what if, instead of going to a default "noise", you give me some configuration on that "snooze" screen?  So that if I haven't acknowledged the alarm in any reasonable fashion (much like it is now), the Chumby automatically triggers another alarm set that I've configured?

Say I've got my primary alarm set to wake me up to the NYT at 6:45.  I set the "failsafe" to 15 minutes, and I set its target to my secondary alarm - Radio Free Chumby.  So after 15 minutes, Radio Free Chumby triggers.  I can set a failsafe on Radio Free Chumby, too - it triggers klaxon.mp3.  Or whatever.  I can do all this recursively.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hardware and the software can easily handle that much instruction, it's the user configuration that blows up.  Go the extra step - say Radio Free Chumby is down and can't be triggered.  The Chumby defaults to whatever I say my default alarm is - which I specify same as any other alarm.  Hey - maybe I set the Chumby to sniff for internet access after one alarm defaults and it goes straight to klaxon.mp3.  If I'm not mistaken, these are all tasks that the Chumby can already handle with aplomb.

Here's my whole point - the Chumby is an extraordinarily capable appliance, with the ability to do things that would tie an alarm clock in a knot.  The only problem is it takes an excruciating amount of monkeyshines to get it to do it.  I don't think it has to be this way - clearly, web configurability is core to Chumby's design strategy as the thing is a spendy leather plushie without going through your portal.  So why not let me do more than pick and rate widgets from your portal?  You make it easier on the control panel and you make it easier on the user.  And hey - you're giving your advertisers access to my USE HABITS on the Chumby.  If I'm configuring alarms through your website, you've got data - randomized or anonymized as you and I see fit, based on your EULA - on *exactly* how I want to use NYT podcasts. 

Duane wrote:

5) The list in the "My Streams" screen shows fewer entries because it has another row of buttons that the other screens don't.  It has been a constant struggle to make buttons that are large enough to press while also showing information.  As we gain more experience with these designs (you can see some evolution in the Pandora section), it's quite possible that some of these screens will be revisited.

My whole purpose in ranting was to influence the priority such revisiting is given.  I understand and appreciate that the SS Chumby is most assuredly under sail.  If I yell "Rock!" and you yell back "we see it" I'm satisfied.

...unless you keep steering closer and closer to the rock.

I do not demand a solution to my complaints and I do appreciate having them heard.  If I didn't think you'd value my input, I wouldn't voice my concerns.  The little gadget has come a long way; I'm still going to poke and prod the parts that I don't think have come far enough, though. ;-)

Best,

Seth

Slave to the Light, Inc.
www.slavetothelight.com

The biggest problem with configuration of alarms from the website is that the site has no idea what the environment is within the device.  For instance, let's say you could choose a playlist on the iPod for an alarm - how does the website know what playlists are on your iPod to give you a list to select from?  Sure, the user can type them but I think the accuracy level will be low.

What about Mediafly or Pandora? The website knows nothing about your accounts on those systems, nor should it know, as that info is private to you and those companies- in some cases, we're contractually obliged to *not* store those credentials on our servers for security reasons.

Same goes for pretty much any non-trivial alarm - the web site simply does not have enough information to select and configure many of the alarm settings.

At *best* we might be able to get you a browser interface to a server running on the device itself - a non-trivial amount of work, but it's a least possible since you're talking to the thing that actually know what you're talking about.  We'd have to rebuild all of the UIs for the music sources in a form suitable for browser use.

One other note - we've been doing some more user research with the device lately, and the feedback we're getting is that people want to use the website *less* rather than more to configure the device - in that light, I can't see us being able to convince people that they need to scurry off to their computer when they just want to set an alarm.

I understand.  It's a one-way push for the most part.  And yes - I wouldn't want to scurry off to the computer just to set an alarm, either.  But I'd rather scurry off to the computer than hit the screen 65 times just to wake up to SomaFM.  I know that an ssh mod was written to allow me to reorder things... but my expertise isn't in Unix, so I failed miserably at it.

Would it be possible to push the configuration of the Chumby somewhere, re-jigger it and push it back down?  Barring true interactivity, I'd work with a load/save...

Slave to the Light, Inc.
www.slavetothelight.com

That might be possible- let me give that some thought.

Duane wrote:

We had a couple of users complaining that they didn't hear the alarm because they had headphones plugged in.  The alarm was working perfectly - the audio was streaming, being decoded, sent to the audio hardware, and audio was coming out of the assigned audio device.  Other users had accidentally turned the alarm audio volume to nothing.

Now, of course, we *could* point to the users for effectively disabling the device then expecting it to work anyway - however, the reality is that *we* get blamed when the guy doesn't wake up.

The solution we went with was for the backup alarm to assume that if it fires that the user didn't hear anything, turn off the speaker mute and pump audio out both the built-in speakers *and* the audio jack, at full volume.  Rude?  Yes, of course - but the goal is to wake the person up, not be pretty about it.

Seems to me the audio output behavior for back-up alarms also makes sense as the behavior for primary alarms. If I set an alarm with audio, It's safe to assume my intention is that I want to hear audio when the alarm goes off. So why not have default alarms route audio to the built-in speakers as well as the audio jack and check to insure that volume is greater than mute? This would solve the user problems mentioned above and does it in a way that's less rude that firing the back-up alarm. The back-up alarm could still kick in at full volume if necessary.

The other advantage of this approach is that it lets me hook my chumby up to a better speaker system (and with the pandora update, it's definitely time for an upgrade) but not have to worry about unplugging the speakers or leaving on the amp when I just want a morning alarm.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

That would take some significant rework of the firmware - the management of the speaker mute is handled by a system daemon, and is outside the control of the Flash Player and the Control Panel.  The backup alarm system actually hunts down and kills that daemon, since it has low-level enough access to the system to do so.

Not out of the realm of possibility - I'll be sure Product Management is aware of the idea.

Not that it means much, but this is the most heartening exchange I've seen on the forums in a year. Except for the fact that Seth didn't capitalize God's name I'd offer a dozen "dittos!!" to everything he's written.

As the techie in my family, my wife is utterly flummoxed when it comes time to set an alarm. She gives up and sets her timex on her side of the bed. If it's too hard and too time consuming to set a radio alarm them we have a problem.

Thanks for listening,

Chad H

Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13 (NASB)

Does your wife have difficulty with the "quick alarm" functionality in the current Control Panel?

Hey Duane,

No the quick alarm was a welcome addition a while back. The problem is that she's a bit cranky when awakened by a klaxon or bugle ;-) Some soft soothing music rousing her from welcome slumber is much better than reveille. Most of us would rather be roused from sleep rather than yanked.

Make Sense?

Chad H.

OK, so where exactly is she getting stuck in the "custom alarms" UI?

Is it that it's too technical, poorly worded, too time-consuming, too many clicks....?

16 (edited by FalconFour 2009-12-18 02:27:55)

Oh, I am so bumping this. slave2thelight has so many great points here and several things that have thus gone unaddressed even with my shiny brand-new Chumby One.

I mainly wanted to back up the point of the volume control slider and mute button. Honestly, I see absolutely ZERO purpose of a mute button beyond what could be done by simply sliding the volume to zero or cranking the knob all the way down, which is the easiest way to accomplish "mute" anyway. At the very least the mute button needs to be removed entirely. Failing that, it can be added to the comically oversized slider (which is the same size and shape of the mute button anyway) as an action for tapping the slider button.

I'd also like to see more flexible configuration options on the PC. If it can't be configured easily on the Chumby, it should be done on the web. Honestly, I'd like to move away from the web as much as possible - I really wish I could manage channels via an interface on the Chumby - or at least create new ones and reassign widgets to different channels via the Chumby, and pick new ones via the web. I've only owned it for a day and I'm already thinking "geez, I should come up with some set-it-and-forget-it system so I don't have to go through all this again".

Night mode is nice but it really has some major flaws, particularly that it's not possible to use it as just a "brightness control". I have a feeling I'm going to be using the Chumby a lot in bed with the light off (I'm one of the nightstand-crowd) and I already found myself having to change the "day brightness" to minimum just to use it at night. Night Mode should be merely a brightness setting, IMO, and have a "clock only" control panel option to complement both Night and Day modes.

Perhaps this deserves its own topic but I really wanted to give this a bump to revisit this brilliant individual's insight into the still-existing Chumby strengths and weaknesses. I think I'm still going to be enjoying mine - after all, the moment I unboxed my Chumby, I moved my old alarm-clock-radio-CD-player out of the way by giving it to my roommate!

edit: I'm now so much happier with this thing by finding the "music timer" option and finding that I can, in fact, play said timed music while in night mode. Awesome, awesome, awesome. But I'd still like to see night mode and the clock-lockout-mode separated... perhaps clock-mode can replace the defunct Mute button along side Night?

17 (edited by dr_memory 2009-12-27 00:46:39)

Concur, and a document to contribute:

http://www.accessdevnet.com/docs/zenofpalm.pdf

Everyone who writes widgets for the Chumby (or for that matter the iPhone, Android, Pre, what have you) -- first-party, third-party, paid developer, casual hacker, whatever -- should go read that.  There's a wealth of hard-earned knowledge about how to develop applications and interfaces for small/embedded/portable touchscreen devices there, regardless of whether they're running the old Palm OS.  And if there's one bit that's worth highlighting, it's this:

Reduce the step count for common tasks.

Or in simpler language: count your clicks.  The original Palm team was manic about this: if it took more than a handful of taps to complete a task, that was a bug, potentially a ship-stop one.

Thanks for the document link dr_memory.  I found it enjoyable/reaffirming/practical/enlightening even!

What about a desktop widget to control Chumby functions?  I have a number of device that I control remotely when the device and my computer are both on the same secure wireless network.  It seems like you could replace a lot of the button presses with pull down menus and you would have access to a full keyboard.  The widget could access the media content on your network to pull in playlists or other content without you having to type it in.  If privacy between the content providers and the user is an issue, you could still require widgets to be configured via the website and everything that is set locally on the Chumby could be configured either through the Chumby screen or through the widget depending on the user's preference.    I am not a developer but from what I have read so far, this doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

I've had my Chumby for 12 whole hours now and I am already tired of click click clicking.  The current generations of smart phones has spoiled us for drag scrolling over clicking arrows to access lists of options.  (BTW, the interface to input my wireless access key - with three separate lines for caps, lower case and numbers is very counterintuitive.    Please give me a full alphabet with a toggle for caps and a toggle for numbers, rather than making me click through every letter over and over.  I've not done much with my Chumby yet, but it feels like a taste of things to come.)

20 (edited by Henry Loenwind 2009-12-25 07:02:12)

Bump, indeed.

I got my Chumby One a couple of days ago---with nearly no knowledge of what it can do or how it works beforehand. I saw the news that it was available in Germany and runs linux, and I have been looking for an appliance-style interface to my computer world for more than 15 years, so I order it.

At first I was very impressed---while playing around with it. Then I started actually using it...

Task 1 -- "Radio on"

A very basic task for a clockradio, isn't it? On an old-style radio I have to press one(!) button and the I hear my favorite radio station. The Chumby needs one button and 12 screen taps. (And why is the "Done" button shifting positions when backing out of the station selector? Adds 2 taps every time you don't expect that.)

Task 2 -- "Setting the alarm"

Again, a very basic task. One button and 22 tap---I recycled the alarm from yesterday to save taps. Unfortunately I won't wake up tomorrow, because the alarm is still off. Yeah, I have to return to the alarm list and toggle the checkbox of the changed alarm, 7 taps. And BTW, it's just "great" that the alarm list puts the newest alarms at the bottom. So the whole fist page of the alarm list are the "dim screen"/"undim screen"/"change channel" pseudo-alarms I won't change once they are set.

Task 3 -- "Acknowledge the alarm while keeping the music running"

No way to do that. It's either backup alarm OR listen to the music for more than 5 minutes.

Task 4 - "Changing a channel"

Ok, that's only 5 taps, but it still feels like a "seldom used action".

---

Let's see how those usability issues could be addressed. My first step would be to say byebye to the "one control panel screen" design decision. Using a tabbed interface, that screen could easily be cut into 5 screens: Widgets (left half of the current screen), Channels (channel list and channel related buttons), Stations (list of presets from the music sources plus "music" button from current main screen), Alarms (list of alarms plus "alarms" button), Settings (right half of current screen plus some from the current settings screen plus "(un)dim" button).

On those screens I also would get rid of the "select line then push button" concept. E.g. tap a station preset and it starts playing and the Chumby does back to the widgets view.

BTW: For the station presets, the "music selection" part of the alarm process can be re-used. And be removed from the alarms to be replaced by a "preset selector". (Update: That would also allow alarms to be edited on the chumby.com website. The chumby would just have to upload the names of the presets.)

The Chumby Two could then have 5 little preset buttons if front of the top button. They could be assigned to music presets and channels while in widget mode and would second as tab-changers while in control panel mode.

C1 user in Germany

I came up with a way to edit alarms remotely, and released it with the hope that someone would take it and improve it, to either make it prettier or add My Streams support, or add some more features.  It's all done in perl code, so it should be easier to update than C code.

Henry Loenwind wrote:

Task 3 -- "Acknowledge the alarm while keeping the music running"

No way to do that. It's either backup alarm OR listen to the music for more than 5 minutes.

Oh, my god, this. Totally behind this gripe 100%. There has to be some way to acknowledge the alarm without making it go to backup alarm. Almost makes me want to get into Chumby software hacking just to correct this functionality...

Tabbed control panel interface sounds like a DREAM compared to what we're stuck with now. There are so many near-pointless buttons on the cramped panel as it is, and a lot of wasted space with the "hide control panel" button that could be replaced with a small "Done" button and the ability to "toggle" the control panel with the top button. That's a more intuitive design all around - and it would also help resolve the issue where the control panel framebuffer doesn't get properly activated (stuck at a frozen widget after hitting the button) since you could just toggle back to it.

Lots of great ideas here! I sure hope something becomes of them wink

If someone is counting votes: I totally agree - all the suggestions would be a huge improvement.

FalconFour wrote:

Oh, my god, this. Totally behind this gripe 100%. There has to be some way to acknowledge the alarm without making it go to backup alarm. Almost makes me want to get into Chumby software hacking just to correct this functionality...

There's hooks to do this yourself, apparently:

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … ing_screen

If I ever get a spare minute to set up a Flash/Actionscript hacking toolchain of some sort, I'll see if I can't whip something up and publish it.  (Boy would it be nice if the flash source for the default alarm ring screen were published for reference; hint hint...)

25 (edited by FalconFour 2009-12-27 01:31:09)

Isn't it already? I think (thought?) the whole Chumby was open source...

Strange, I found source code for pretty much everything else but not for the Control Panel that ties it all together. Ehh...?