Re: Chumbyland

servalan wrote:
cbreeze wrote:

Anyone else out there from Australia having trouble?

It loads the widget (1.9.4.3) ok & then says it is down for repairs. Is that just me?

That's 2 now from Australia and it appears to be Internode related.  I am bringing it up to Chumby.

Stay tuned.

Now it says 'Loading 1.9.5.0' & then 'Chumbyland is currently closed for repairs'.

Some sort of region blocking?

servalan wrote:

Now it says 'Loading 1.9.5.0' & then 'Chumbyland is currently closed for repairs'.

Some sort of region blocking?

I guess I never confirmed, but you got your Chumby through Internode correct?

cbreeze wrote:

I guess I never confirmed, but you got your Chumby through Internode correct?

Indeed.

cbreeze wrote:

Chumbyland 1.9.4.3

Games are now back in Chumbyland!

There is a new area now under your Chum Tools (touch your Chum icon in the upper right) called "Games" that will display all your current games and the status of each.

Touch a game to play it when it is your turn, or if your being invited.  The person you are playing with needs to be updated to 1.9.4.3 as well or they will not be able to access the game.

One thing to remember is that when you win prizes from a game, you will not be able to get your items until you are at your home.

Sorry but all previous games had to be removed for the changes to take place.

--

There is a little addition under the Settings (touch the clock/logo)->More Options area call "Chum DNA".  It shows different statistics based on your Chums activity in Chumbyland.

If your "missing" DNA, it is because you have not engaged in those actions yet (but I won't tell what they are smile)

--

Happy Chumbyland Gaming!

Cheers.

The Chumby DNA is a great feature.  Is there any way that the DNA of all My Chums can be viewed or a High Score DNA?  Also, how is the Quests used as I never seem to have any listed.  As always, keep up the good work with Chumbyland.

Exchumpat wrote:

The Chumby DNA is a great feature.  Is there any way that the DNA of all My Chums can be viewed or a High Score DNA?  Also, how is the Quests used as I never seem to have any listed.  As always, keep up the good work with Chumbyland.

Regarding Chum DNA, yes you will be able to see others eventually, as well as, the top citizens in specific categories (soon as I find some room to put some more buttons) smile

Chumbyland Quests are still under watch, thats the reason why there has been no major announcement.  The way it works is as follows:

Random quest invitations are sent out regularly.  They look like envelopes, and drop like loot does.  You must be at your home location to get and start a Quest.  The invitations do not stay around until you use them, so you need to check home from time to time.

Currently there are 3 quest types, with more to come.

Locate a Chum - find a specific Chum.  If the Chum arrives where you are, that does not count.  You must arrive to where that Chum is.
Travel to a Location - go to the requested location.
Spot a Chumbyland Prop - arrive at a location that has the specified prop showing.

Quests can be completed without your interaction if your Chum is roaming and fulfills the requirements.  You will still get loot as well.

The loot for completing quests varies on a couple of factors, that I am not at liberty to disclose. wink

There are also some Chumbyland "wide" quest types that will be going live.  These will be "find x first" type of games for those citizens who take the quest.

The "Quests" area under your Chum tools will show your current quests, and the requirements to complete them.

That is the scoop for now, it could change a bit.  Hope that helps.

Happy Chumbyland Questing!

Cheers.

love the widget mabey in the future a odometer of sorts? something that displays how many chumbylands you've been 2 or how far you've traveled

Quest works!  It surprised me that nothing happened when I got to my destination, but I saw the loot when I arrived back home.  It might have helped to put up a message there that the quest was fulfilled (and a vision of the Grail was bestowed upon me, but I'm not worthy to actually touch it).

209 (edited by blobby 2008-11-19 20:58:32)

Great stuff! Questing is a cool way to earn items. Also ChumDNA is cool too (7/9 - missing 2...)

Great job once again develephant!

@mrroboto - check out your ChumDNA - it shows how many trips you've taken; it doesn't list the number of Chumbylands visited tho

/edit -

cbreeze wrote:

It actually is the Chumbylands visited

Hey, cbreeze, I'm wondering about the little prizes that sometimes fall from the sky.  I thought i read that I'm supposed to touch the screen when they arrive.  I've tried that to no avail.  Is there something else I should be doing?

Also, and I"m sorry if these questions are repeating past issues but this thread is now sooo long, but I'm wondering if anyone else has issues with typing mail messages.  I'm assuming it's just my chumby, but it's ridiculously difficult to type on the keyboard.  I've stopped trying.  Is it just me, or has anyone else encountered this?

And by the way, WONDERFUL widget.  It's the only one I really look forward to when it comes up.  I LOVE CHUMBYLAND!

211 (edited by blobby 2008-11-19 05:04:25)

In 1.9.5.5 there seems to be an error with the statistic variables in the top right menu - Population, Travelers, Shops, Version are all undefined.

/edit - works fine now

@ Bubbles - the prizes that you win from games/lottery/quests should come down in packages into your own Chumbyland; tap the packages and it should pop up with a message about the item and how you obtained it. With regard to typing mail, the Chumby screen is somewhat unresponsive at times and you may have to hold on to the letter until it shows - sometimes if you press it too fast it shows up then deletes itself maybe due to error detection i.e. preventing accidental taps of the keyboard

Bubbles wrote:

Hey, cbreeze, I'm wondering about the little prizes that sometimes fall from the sky.  I thought i read that I'm supposed to touch the screen when they arrive.  I've tried that to no avail.  Is there something else I should be doing?

Also, and I"m sorry if these questions are repeating past issues but this thread is now sooo long, but I'm wondering if anyone else has issues with typing mail messages.  I'm assuming it's just my chumby, but it's ridiculously difficult to type on the keyboard.  I've stopped trying.  Is it just me, or has anyone else encountered this?

And by the way, WONDERFUL widget.  It's the only one I really look forward to when it comes up.  I LOVE CHUMBYLAND!

I am wondering if you need to recalibrate your screen on your Chumby. You do need to touch the gifts that fall from above. You may also  be tapping too quickly. I have a chum that has the same issue. I just go over to her desk and touch her screen a bit slower. It seems that a little patience is needed - a lesson I am working on myself (super type A -yikes!) I hope this helps!

Twinkle

Thanks, Blobby and Twinkle.  I worked on both of your suggestions and they seemed to have worked.  My screen seems to be somewhat more responsive now that I re-booted and re-calibrated.  Hopefully all is good.

And good luck, Blobby on the game!  It's your turn!!!

big_smile

I was just wondering if there's a "return time" for the customization tool to come back up.  My timing is perfect: I'm ready to craft more stuff, and lo and behold the tool is down.  Just wonderin'.

lol

215 (edited by cbreeze 2008-11-19 12:59:55)

First, thank you Blobby and Twinkle for helping other citizens!

The keyboard can be a little difficult sometimes, but indeed a calibration usually helps.  I can't tell you how much a stylus for your Chumby helps, it is a lifesaver.

Yes this thread is getting veerry long.  I guess we need to petition for a Chumbyland "only" area on the boards tongue

Bubbles wrote:

I was just wondering if there's a "return time" for the customization tool to come back up.  My timing is perfect: I'm ready to craft more stuff, and lo and behold the tool is down.  Just wonderin'.

lol

The Chumbyland Customization tool will be back today, sorry for the downtime, but it will be worth it smile

--

And as a general note, I am aware there are some funny issues going on, but some of them are being changed dramatically in version 2 (yes it has started wink ) so I am not spending a whole lot of time fixing some of them in the current version, unless they dramatically effect the system.

Thanks for your understanding.

Happy Chumbylanding!

ps. If I you see me on Chumbyland and I don't respond, it's only because I am typing code like a maniac, so don't be offended...lol.

216 (edited by cbreeze 2008-11-19 16:13:29)

blobby wrote:

@mrroboto - check out your ChumDNA - it shows how many trips you've taken; it doesn't list the number of Chumbylands visited tho

It actually is the Chumbylands visited, I just couldn't fit longer text for the "label" so I used Trips, I'll need to change that.

Cheers.

A question about Follow mode -

When I choose follow mode, I'm always kicked out of the widget as soon as I click the OK button. Is this normal?

thanks,
--dhl

Thanks for asking about that dhl, it's been happening to me lately and I've also been wondering if it's just me...

tongue

Bubbles wrote:

Thanks for asking about that dhl, it's been happening to me lately and I've also been wondering if it's just me...

tongue

It is normal for now because the widget changes how it works in Follow so it has to refresh.  This will operate different in the upcoming version 2.0 engine.

Cheers.

I think that the Follow mode behavior is normal by the following description in user guide.

Traveling in Follow Mode
:
When switching Follow modes the widget will end its session and the new Follow mode will be active the next time Chumbyland loads.

221 (edited by cbreeze 2008-11-19 16:16:58)

black wrote:

I think that the Follow mode behavior is normal by the following description in user guide.

Traveling in Follow Mode
:
When switching Follow modes the widget will end its session and the new Follow mode will be active the next time Chumbyland loads.

Thanks black!  I forgot I had even put that in there.

I just bought a kiwi bird from the prop shop but it didn't give me it and took the things out of my chumbag.
Also, is the Crafting tokens being sold in the prop shop props or real crafting tokens?

I played with chumbyland a lot and every idea for chumbyland is here.  Please don't think of these as requests, just ideas to make chumbyland more fun and new.

"Next place" button - in a trip, makes the chum go to the next place.
In the chum menu, on the bottom, a people playing with chumbyland right now counter.
Computer chatter: lets you go to your computer on gochumby.com/cl and type in something and your chum says it.
Text props: a prop with custom text.
Editing the tweet on the chumby like you do on gochumby.com/cl, instead of having to type a new one.
toll-free quick trips: if you really want people to come to your store, it will let you pay for their trip if they buy something.
Take used props out of your chumbag: if you are using a prop, don't display it in the chumbag. the are really clogging up my chumbag right now!
A choice for trips to travel to chumbylands where there are lots of people, or very little.
Have a chumbyland of the day that you can go to with a travel ticket.

@acb when you are in the design mode did you check the little green check mark for your prop? Nd you can find crafting tokens or buy them at gochumby.com/cl under the crafting section, try and make something and it will ask you for a token. 10 peices of loot = 1 token. some of your ideas are already in place, and others are good ideas. you can customize you tweet by touching the clock when you are at your home, and people online right now are currently displayed in you chumbs list with a little green dot next to them, and if you are at the same place as them they will have little blue waves coming off of them. Hope this helps, and I like the chumbyland of the day idea

224 (edited by cbreeze 2008-11-19 22:18:18)

@mrroboto - Thanks for helping!

@abc - Some fantastic ideas there, I'm sure you'll see some of them smile  I will be doing some testing in the upcoming downtime and also get your item to you.  I probably have asked before, but I am terrible with names - what is your Chum name again?

Crafting Tokens are now purchased through the Chumbyland Prop Shop, but more on that in a little bit.

Chumbyland will be down from 9-11 pm PST tonight for a fairly exciting update of not only Chumbyland, but the Chumbyland Customization Tool as well.  Stay tuned!

Make sure your widget is updated to 1.9.5.6 - you'll need it.

Cheers.

cbreeze - my chumbyland name is Adrian.

mrroboto - I tapped the checkmark, but that just exited me out of design mode!
What I meant by the tweet is that when you pushed the update tweet button, it would display your tweet and let you add/delete stuff, instead of having to retype the whole thing. Also, when I touch the clock and press chumbyland prop shop, the first thing is a crafting token being sold for 20 items.