1 (edited by cbreeze 2008-11-21 02:56:06)

Topic: Chumbyland

For the most up to date information on using Chumbyland please visit the Chumbyland Tourism Board.

Cheers,

Develephant

--

Chumbyland User Guide

This guide is current up to version 1.8.8.0

Japanese translation by black here.

---

If you don't have the widget - get it here: http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/Chumbyland

Once you have the widget running, select your "pixel" Chum to get started, then read on.

---

Menus:

Across the top of the screen is the "tool bar".  From left to right you can open the following windows by touching...

Clock / Logo - Opens the "settings" menu.  Here you can get your Chumbyland "key" for more customization, and toggle whether you would like to see Chumversations.

Chum Status - Opens the "travel" menu.  Here you can send your Chum out on a trip, or have them return home.  You can also view a travel log of the Chumbies you visited on your most recent trip.  If you are currently traveling, you can use the "Chum Location Cam" and also view information about the owner of the Chumby you are visting.

Chum Icon - Opens the "Chum" menu.  Here you can view the gifts you have found or been given by other Chums.  You can also access your "My Chums" list here, and view a visitor log of the Chums that have been to your Chumby within the last 24 hours by touching the "Visitors" button.

If you have an airplane next to your Chum icon then you are in Follow Mode.  See Traveling below.

Chum Status:

On the "tool bar" you can see the current status of your Chum.  Possible values include:

Home - Your Chum is currently at "home", on your Chumby, and waiting your next order.
Packing - Your Chum is preparing to go on an adventure through Chumbyland.
Traveling - Your Chum is currently on a "trip".  Your Chum will return "home" when it is done (unless you have a set destination).
Coming Home - You have requested your Chum to return "home" from the current "trip".

Traveling:

To send your Chum out into Chumbyland, open the "travel" menu.  If your Chum is currently at home you can choose to send your Chum on a short, medium, or long trip. 

If your Chum is already traveling then you can choose to bring your Chum home by touching the "Return Home" button.  Your "trip" will be cut short, and eventually your Chum will come back to your Chumby, ready for more action.

While your Chum is traveling, open the "travel" menu and you can use the "Chum Location Cam" to see the Chumby you are currently at, as well as, the owners info.  While viewing the "Chum Location Cam" you can touch the "thumbs up" icon on the right to send a message to the owner that you approve of their customizations.

You can see where your Chum has traveled so far by touching the "View Travel Log" button.

Traveling in Follow Mode
There are 2 ways to view your Chumbyland when traveling.  If you select Follow mode, you will "follow" your Chum from place to place.  This is reflected visually on your Chumby.  You will see your traveling Chum, the current background, and any other Chums at the location.  There will also be an airplane on the toolbar, next to your Chum icon.

If you are not in Follow mode then you will see your Chumbyland, and any visitors that come by, whether your Chum is currently home or in the midst of traveling.  This is the default mode.

You can see your current location in the Travel menu, as well as the owner info by touching the "Location Owner" button.  You can leave a gift by touching the "Leave Gift" button and view your Follow status here.

Your Follow status returns to OFF when you bring your Chum home, or if they are done with the current trip.

You will still get items and gifts while in Follow mode, but you can not place them in your inventory until you set Follow OFF and return home.

In Follow Mode you will see a "thumbs up" icon on the toolbar if you are viewing another location.  By touching this button you will send a short message letting the owner know you like the customizations the Chum has done.

When switching Follow modes the widget will end its session and the new Follow mode will be active the next time Chumbyland loads.

Your Chumbag:

Your Chumbag holds all the gifts and items that you have gathered while in Chumbyland.  You can also see how many Crafting Tokens and Travel Tickets you have, if any.

Open your Chumbag by touching the Chum icon and then touching the "Open Chumbag" button.

Gifting / Found Items / Rewards
There are lots of items in Chumbyland that can be "gifted" to other Chums or that you may earn as a reward for certain activities.  You may also find items during your travels.

Some items may be delivered as "loot".  If you see random packages, treasure chests, etc. sitting in your Chumbyland, make sure to touch them to add the item to your inventory.

To view your items open the "Chum" menu by touching the icon on the far right of the "tool bar" and selecting "Open Chumbag".  Here you will see a list of all the items that you currently have, as well as where they came from.

Items in yellow can be touched to bring up a Chum "card", which will show you more information about who gave you the item.  You can add them to your My Chums, as well as, send back an item in return.

Items in green have been crafted by a Chumbyland citizen.  When you touch one of these items you can choose to view more information about the creator of the item, or the citizen who gave it to you.

Items in white can not be selected.

Interacting with Chums:

As Chums make their travels they may appear on your Chumby.  You can touch a Chum on the screen to bring up the Chum "info" box, which will show the Chums "tweet" and also allow you to add them to your My Chums.  You can choose to send them a gift from here also.  Touch them again to close the "info" box.

Chums will also interact amongst themselves.  See Chumversations for more information on customizing these interactions.

My Chums:

As you meet more Chums, you may want to add them your My Chums list.  You can view this list by opening the "Chum" menu, and touching the "View My Chums" button.  Touch a Chum on the list to open the Chum "card".  Here you can send them a gift, a mail message, or if you are currently at home, take a Quick Trip to the Chums location.

By choosing the "Actions" button from the Chum "card" you can remove the Chum from your list, and also send an invite to play a game with this Chum See Chumbyland Games for more information.

There are many possible areas where you can add a Chum to your My Chums.  If you see an "Add Chum" button, touch it to add that Chum to your list.

When someone else adds you as a Chum, you will receive a message letting you know.  At this point you have the choice of also adding them to your My Chums.

Quick Trips and Travel Tickets
When taking a Quick Trip the Follow Mode is turned ON (see Traveling above) and you will travel directly to the location.  Once you arrive, you will stay at that Chums location until you choose to "Return Home" from the "travel" menu (eventually your Chum will be sent home if you stay too long).

To take a Quick Trip, you must hand over 1 Travel Ticket.  If you attempt to take a Quick Trip without any tickets you will be given a chance to buy some.  If you have any tickets, you can check the current amount by looking in your Chumbag.  See My Chumbag above.

Chumbyland Games:

You can play a simple game with another Chum by sending them an invite.  See the My Chums section above for more information.

There are currently three games that you can play (with more on the way).  You can have multiple games running with multiple Chums.  You can also have a game of each type running with an individual Chum.  If a game invite is accepted, then the game begins.  You will be alerted when it is your turn.  All games expire after 3 days of no activity.

The following games are currently available:

Tic Tac Chum
Your basic tic-tac-toe game.  Try and get 3 of your "markers" in a row and stop your opponent from doing the same.

All Your Base
A simple variation of "Battleship".  When the game starts both players place 5 "bases", which are hidden from the other player.  Take turns trying to find all of your opponents bases first to win.

Slay The Dragon
Join up with another Chum and try to defeat the dragon in this "RPG" battle.  Choose your 5 abilities and your partner will do the same.  Takes turns attacking the dragon and try to keep your party alive.  The dragon has weaknesses and strengths in regards to your abilities.  Loot awaits the party that can banish this beast.

Chumbyland Mail

You can send short "mail" messages to other Chums who are on your My Chums list, a location that you are currently visiting, and in response to someone who has given you a gift.  Touch the "Send Mail" button when you see it, and once the keyboard loads you can input a message.

To check your "mail", open the "Chum" menu and touch the "Mailbag" button.  Once you have a message open you can reply to the sender or delete it.

All mail messages will expire after 7 days.

Chumbyland Shops:

At some point you may want to open up a shop to gain even more items.  You can "sell" any of your items for a set item cost, or a simple blind swap.  Shops can earn you more items, and can be fun way to show off your custom items, or discover others.

Opening a shop
Open the settings menu by touching the clock/icon on left side of the toolbar and touch the "Shop" button.

When the button reads "Shop:CLOSED" you do not have a shop running.  Touching it will create a new shop.  If it reads "Shop:OPEN" you have an open shop.  Touching the button will allow you to close the shop manually.

You must have a Sellers Permit to open your shop.  You will be asked to pay 1 item for a 48 hour shop permit.  After 48 hours, or if your stock is sold out, your shop will close (or manually if you choose), and all unsold items will be returned to your Chumbag.

Once you get a message confirming your new Sellers Permit, you can start placing items you want to "sell" in your shop.

For each item you will be presented with the Item Pricing Menu.  Here you can choose how much "worth" your item has.  There are 4 different options:

Free Trade - You will trade this item with any other item the "buyer" wants to give.
Budget - It will require 2 items to let go of this piece.  A bargain.
Normal - A good fair price of 3 items for this worthy thing.
Expensive - Well worth the 5 items required for this gem.

Your selection will set the "price" of the item, and then prompt you to select the next shop item.  When you have finished stocking your shop, touch the "close" area.

When your shop is active, a large red "OPEN" sign hangs off the left of the toolbar.  You can touch the sign to see what you are selling.  Other Chums will also touch it to browse and possibly purchase one of your items.

You cannot edit your shop afterwards.  If you want to start over, you must close the shop, and then purchase another permit if you cancel before the 48 hours are up.

To close your shop manually, open the settings menu and touch the "Shop:OPEN" button and follow the prompts.

Buying from shops
When you are traveling in Follow mode you might see red "OPEN" signs at other locations, marking an open shop.  Touch the sign to open the Chumbyland Shop where you can browse and purchase items.

When you decide to buy an item, you will be asked to input your payment.  Keep selecting the items you want to pay with until you are alerted that you have satisfied the price requirements.  You will then become the owner, and the item will be placed in your Chumbag.

If you are the seller, you will gain whatever items the buyer used to purchase your item.  You will also be notified of who bought the item, and for how much.

Yellow "status" text in the My Chums listing notes that the Chum has an open shop.  You can use a Quick Trip to get there quickly if you are somewhere else.

Your shop is open to all other citizens in Chumbyland to browse and purchase items.  If you see something you want, better grab it quick before someone else does.

No refunds.  No returns.  No kidding smile

Chumversations

If you have more than one Chum visiting, they may engage in a Chumversation.  When Chums are "chatting" an icon will appear above them representing the "topic".  If the Chum has been further customized, you may also see a text bubble appear with a small amount of text pertaining to that "topic".

You can toggle whether you would like to see the text bubbles in the "settings" menu.  To customize your own Chumverstion topics, follow the instructions under the "settings" menu.

You can get a more detailed explanation of how a Chumversation works by clicking this link.

Chumbyland Events:

All sorts of things can happen in Chumbyland, with more added all the time.  Some events you may run across follow:

The Chumbyland Lotto runs games throughout the day.  It costs 1 item to play, but you could win up to 15 items.  Simply choose what you think the winning sequence will be and wait for the game results.  There is no pre-set winning sequence, it is randomized each drawing.  To win the grand prize you must provide the exact order of all 4 picks.

Keep your eyes open for "evil" Chums that are roaming Chumbyland.  If you spot one touch it to "capture" the fugitive and colllect a reward.

The "Game Host" roams around Chumbyland from time to time tempting you with a game of chance.  Touch him to start a simple game for prizes.

Anytime an event starts, you will receive a Chumbyland wide message detailing who and what is going on, so stay alert.

Customizing your Chumbyland:

You can adjust certain settings for your Chumbyland using an online control panel.  Open the "settings" menu in the upper left corner on the widget for more information on how to do so.

Currently you can customize the day and night background images, your Chum "tweet", which is the text that appears when someone touches your Chum on the screen, your Chum name, Chum icon, and Chumversation "topics".

You can also "craft" you own items to put into Chumbyland.  See more information about crafting by clicking here.

-----

FAQ:

What the heck is Chumbyland?
Chumbyland started as an idea from another member of the Forum (ricmib), and will continue to grow with suggestions and support.  At the most simplest of terms, it is a community widget that allows your "Chum" to virtually travel among other Chumbies using an avatar of your choosing.  Where it goes from here is anyones guess, so make sure to suggest ideas.

How long should I set my Chumbyland widget to play?
To see the most action in Chumbyland you should set the play time between 5 - 10 minutes.  Chumbyland does not refresh by itself, you must have at least one other widget in your channel.

My Chum is just waiting in "Packing" mode, what gives?
Currently the Chumbyland widget does not support "pinning", by touching the Stay button on the Chumby control panel.  See question above.

What are the icons showing above my Chum, and how do I control them?
These icons are your Chum having a "Chumversation", see the guide above for more information.

What are found items, and why don't I have any?
Your Chum will randomly find items during its travels.  These "finds" can be used to "gift" other Chums that visit your Chumbyland.  If you have not found an item, keep traveling, you will eventually.  Also, keep your eye out for strange Chums...they might have something for you.

Why don't I get any visitors.  Is it me?
No, it's not you.  It's a big world out there in Chumbyland smile so just be patient, someone will drop by eventually.  If you just started, or have not been on in awhile, it will take a bit of time before Chums start coming by.

Did my Chum just pack up on its own to travel?
If you don't send your Chum out on a trip every so often it will get bored and decide to go out on its own.  You can use the "Return Home" button in the main menu if you want to cancel the trip.

Why are packages falling like rain in my Chumbyland?
This is your "loot" arriving.  These may be from other Chums or prize winnings.

How do I add my own background, change my Chum icon, name, etc.?
See "Customizing your Chumbyland" above.

How do I create my own unique items to share in Chumbyland?
See "Customizing your Chumbyland" above.

How do I know what version I am running?
Open the "Chum" menu by clicking on your Chum icon in the upper right hand corner.  The version number is shown at the bottom of the screen.  The version is also shown on the initial loading screen.

Does Chumbyland work on the Virtual Chumby.
Not at this time, and probably not anytime soon in the future because of the bandwidth and resources required.

Can Chumbyland do X, Y, or Z?
It's very possible, just leave a suggestion on this forum thread and we will see.

-----

See ya in Chumbyland!

If you like community widgets you might also enjoy Where In The World here http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/Wher … he%20World

Cheers - develephant

Re: Chumbyland

Thanks for the guide. smile

Can wait for the future versions.

I love this widget! I am also part of "Where In the World". My Chum is currently out on a Long trip (though I have not found any objects yet).
It would be fun to have the background reflect the time of day in your time zone (dark at night). Also, are you developing a way to send your Chum to a specific destination?

sishogan wrote:

I love this widget! I am also part of "Where In the World". My Chum is currently out on a Long trip (though I have not found any objects yet).
It would be fun to have the background reflect the time of day in your time zone (dark at night). Also, are you developing a way to send your Chum to a specific destination?

Time zone based background is a great idea!  Keep traveling you will find something eventually.

Cheers.

I see that the background has changed! Thanks for getting it done so quickly.

I get visitors, but my travel log is empty... where did I go?  Who did I see?

wayn3w

wayn3w wrote:

I get visitors, but my travel log is empty... where did I go?  Who did I see?

wayn3w

Yeah, as I monitor the widget I am catching little bugs that don't really show up in the short term.  I am working them out, so hang in there.

Cheers.

suggestion - I find the up/down arrow buttons for scrolling the travel log and visitor list very hard to hit. I'm always exiting back to the main screen accidently. I use my fingernail and don't usually have this problem with other buttons, even small ones like the widget arrows in the control panel. You might want to increase the target size for these buttons. Thanks!

The travellog works now, thanks! 

Can we trade the items we find, kinda like a 'one red paperclip' affair?  Maybe I can get a Chumby out of it...

wayn3w
ps... chumby on a chumby... heh

10 (edited by tahjo 2008-09-25 21:37:42)

Love the widget!  Reminds me a bit of cube world, a physical box with an animated screen showing figures that wander off your screen and interact with others.  I like the idea of keeping Chumbyland less focused on animation and more on travelling. 

Cube World:  http://www.radicagames.com/cubeworld/index.php

Would be nice to find simple ways to personalize your land, and ways for other travellers to reflect where they've been.  Perhaps a simple box/item you add color, symbols, size, and/or alphanumeric to represent you.  Then travellers visiting could collect it.  Your traveller could also bring a visitor box on it's adventures.  It would be exciting to see not just what you've collected, but a count of how many people have picked up one of your boxes/items and how many are in total circulation.

Hi the widget is great.
How about having the option where we can list our location and when our Chum is traveling to a chumby that has a location entered we can bring it up on a map and see where it is.

John

tahjo, widiver -

Great ideas, I will put them in the hopper.

Cheers.

I'll happy, if you add time and date function to replace another Clock widget!

Make me happy please!! tongue

Out of curiosity -- did you design all the icons yourself?  They're very cool.

Inky's owner

The 1.5.5 update of Chumbyland now includes "gifting", as well as some other fixes.  The guide up above has been updated with information on how it all works.

@wayn3w - I wish, but they are non-commercial use, and they seemed perfect.

@cad96 - Are you requesting a clock somewhere on the widget?

Cheers.

sure! like embed the clock on the ground.

17 (edited by cbreeze 2008-09-28 20:55:45)

Some new additions:

My Chums - Keep track of Chums.  This will also be used for some upcoming functionality.
Chum Location Cam - Take a peek at where your Chum is visiting.

Be on the lookout for strange looking Chums, you never know what they are capable of...

Guide has been updated for more detail.

Cheers.

Oh, and thanks for the Purple Flip Flops, Chumba tongue

How do I change what my Chummy says when people click on him? Right now it's just "Annoyingtest ect" and stuff. I would like him to say something custom. I'd also like to make my own gifts to give people. Is there any way to do that? And it would be great to make my own Chumby house background, maybe using a little JPEG file? How about a JPEG I could host online on some other server and link the Chumby to?

MaxSMoke777 wrote:

How do I change what my Chummy says when people click on him? Right now it's just "Annoyingtest ect" and stuff. I would like him to say something custom. I'd also like to make my own gifts to give people. Is there any way to do that? And it would be great to make my own Chumby house background, maybe using a little JPEG file? How about a JPEG I could host online on some other server and link the Chumby to?

I had not thought about customizing that text.  Good idea.  I was also pondering the JPEG background.  The only slight issue with that is the "time" based background.  I'll think about it more, it is certainly the next thing that needs work.

As far as making your own gifts, can you describe in a little more detail what you mean?  Sounds interesting.

Cheers.

cbreeze wrote:
MaxSMoke777 wrote:

I had not thought about customizing that text.  Good idea.  I was also pondering the JPEG background.  The only slight issue with that is the "time" based background.  I'll think about it more, it is certainly the next thing that needs work.

As far as making your own gifts, can you describe in a little more detail what you mean?  Sounds interesting.

Cheers.

especially now with the new "Chum Location Cam" feature, custom backgrounds would be great. Are you using separate layers for the day and night sky? If so, perhaps the solution is to look for two full-screen separate .jpeg files with specified names, either on a user's local flash drive, or in the /psp directory. You could have as many files as times of day you're recognizing (I've only noticed night and day).

cbreeze wrote:
MaxSMoke777 wrote:

Cheers.

Yah, separate images for Day and Night would be great! But for the images themselves, you don't need to host them anywhere. Just allow us to enter in a URL with the location of an image we want for the Day and Night. It would be up to the end user to draw in the ground at the right height, and what not.

As far as making GIfts, the process would be just like making your Chummy:

You pick an Icon from a list of items. I think you already have alot of icon images, right? Then you add a Title for it. And finally, a short, say 255 character, description of the object, which people would see if they selected "Examine". Or something like that.

For instance, I could pick an icon for a Fortunate Cookie, and call it the "Fortune Cookie of Ultimate Truth". And when you examine it, it would say, "The cookie is so stale that nobody will ever be able to open it.".

Or I could select an icon for an Envelope, and call it "Dear John Letter, Post Marked Wisconsin". And when you examine it, it would say, "Please send us more California Cheese".

It would be much like Mail on Animal Crossing. These things would be basically be little easter eggs we would send each other. They could be passed around and traded for Years!

I would also suggest that people only be allowed to make one item at a time, and they can't make more until that item is given away.

Also, they should have the option to either Drop the item on the ground, which would be taken by the next visitor, or holding on to the item and giving it away manually.

So the "Make Gift" screen would have:

#1. List of Icons to pick
#2. Title for the Object
#3. Description
#4. Pull down menu for "Drop" or "Give Away"

And if you still have the last Gift you made in your inventory, it would tell you, "You can't make a new Gift until you give away the last!"

dhl wrote:
cbreeze wrote:

...  I was also pondering the JPEG background.  The only slight issue with that is the "time" based background.  I'll think about it more, it is certainly the next thing that needs work.

especially now with the new "Chum Location Cam" feature, custom backgrounds would be great. Are you using separate layers for the day and night sky? If so, perhaps the solution is to look for two full-screen separate .jpeg files with specified names, either on a user's local flash drive, or in the /psp directory. You could have as many files as times of day you're recognizing (I've only noticed night and day).

My suggestion for the background is keeping the sky time-based, like it is now or something similar to that in the Fat Cat Land Widget that changes throughout the day, and allow users to add the landscape, including the house, trees, cars, etc in an image file with the sky as an alpha channel (I think I'm using the correct terminology).

Comments? Critiques?

Amazing widget, BTW. I love the most recent updates.

Version 1.6 introduces some customization options.

You can change the background (only day and night for the time being), and adjust the text that shows in the Chum info panel.  The "control panel" is hosted on the web for the use of uploading, and the additional ease of using a keyboard to type.  Your "secret key" can be found by touching the "Chumbyland" logo in the upper left of the screen.

This gives a good starting point, so keep the suggestions coming.  And thanks for the ones so far.

Cheers.

Woot! Very Sweet! I just spent almost an hour making day and night pictures for Castle Max.

I would love to be able to send people that, visit short messages, and even gifts, as I have mentioned above. Any progress on working that into the Chumby interface? I'd like to be able to click on their little Chummy and select "Pass Secret Note", and write a very short message to my visitor. Kinda like pass notes in class!

MaxSMoke777 wrote:

Woot! Very Sweet! I just spent almost an hour making day and night pictures for Castle Max.

I would love to be able to send people that, visit short messages, and even gifts, as I have mentioned above. Any progress on working that into the Chumby interface? I'd like to be able to click on their little Chummy and select "Pass Secret Note", and write a very short message to my visitor. Kinda like pass notes in class!

All very good ideas.  Some things take more planning then others, so some features may take a little longer to get in.

As far as being able to send other Chums your Chumbyland setup, there is kind of a "discovery" process when out in Chumbyland that is kind of neat.  You could be traveling around for days and stumble upon someones unique Chumbyland.  I am not sure I want to change that concept very much.  But I will think about it more.

As far as text related items, as you know, text input on the Chumby is not entirely easy, so I imagine it would work well with very short messages, but I will need to develop an input system.

Thanks for the great ideas.  See ya in Chumbyland.