Re: Chumbyland

wayn3w wrote:

Well, if you're gonna having beaming around, you HAVE to have alien abduction... flying saucers coming in to lift people up into the ships and return them a few days later.

wayn3w

Hilarious!

How about Mailing everyone and try to get everyone in chumbyland to be traveling on a certain time and date

My chumbyland isn't working.
When I go to the widget it just stays on the blue screen that says "Chumbyland" and has three people on it and says "loading" forever.  I tried rebooting my chumby,  deleting the widget and putting it back on again, even unplugging it when it was off.  Also I noticed that it skips the screen that says "preparing your chumbyland", but it only ever says that for half a second when it is working.

I also have ideas:
Chumbyland "Decorations" to show off your chumbyland to you and people in your chumby looking at the "chum cam", like plants or Christmas lights.
Adding chums by searching for them instead of having to wait for them to arrive in your chumby, which will probably not happen.
A chumbyland store for trading items in to get other ones.

104 (edited by Twinkle 2008-11-01 14:35:10)

acb73737 wrote:

My chumbyland isn't working.
When I go to the widget it just stays on the blue screen that says "Chumbyland" and has three people on it and says "loading" forever.  I tried rebooting my chumby,  deleting the widget and putting it back on again, even unplugging it when it was off.  Also I noticed that it skips the screen that says "preparing your chumbyland", but it only ever says that for half a second when it is working.

Help!!! Mine is down too!!!! My Chumbyland addiction is not being fulfilled! I am being forced back to reality!

Seriously, it sounds like technical difficulty. But, when will it be fixed?

Twinkle

105 (edited by cbreeze 2008-11-01 17:09:00)

Everyone please make sure you are running 1.8.7 or greater.  You can see the version by touching your Chum icon in the upper right corner.

If you are not, refresh your channel on your Chumby device, under the "Channel" menu.  The newest update did not go as smoothly as I had planned, my apologies.

Let me know if you are still having issues.

----

New in Chumbyland 1.8.7

Recently added Slay The Dragon game.  You and one of your Chums can take on the Dragon for some loot.

And a nice new feature called Follow - In your travel menu you can now choose to "follow" your Chum as it goes from place to place.  To activate this mode go to the Travel menu by touching the "chum status" text in the middle of the toolbar.  Touch the "Follow" button to toggle the Follow mode on and off.

Enjoy!

Fixed!
In follow mode can you see the location of you and your chumby? How do you tell otherwise?

107 (edited by cbreeze 2008-11-01 21:43:35)

acb73737 wrote:

Fixed!
In follow mode can you see the location of you and your chumby? How do you tell otherwise?

Guess I do not understand the question 100% but in follow mode you will see on your Chumby the other Chumby you are visiting, you, and anyone else who is there.  The background will be different depending on the time of the other Chumby or if they have a custom one.  Since most people use the default one you will probably see that most often.

You can see your current location in the Travel menu, as well as the owner info by touching the Location Owner button.  You also can see your Follow status here.  Your Follow status returns to OFF when you bring your Chum home, or if they are done with the current trip.  You will still get items and gifts while in Follow mode, but you can not place them in your inventory until you return home.

I hope that helps.

User Guide updated here

108 (edited by Twinkle 2008-11-01 18:23:51)

Thank you for the new version! Very cool! I don't see beaming though...... big_smile

Twinkle

Twinkle wrote:

Thank you for the new version! Very cool! I don't see beaming though...... big_smile

Twinkle

Check out version 1.8.7.2 or greater.  Select one of your Chums from the My Chums list and then touch the Quick Trip button.  You have to be "home" to use it.

smile

Cheers.

there appears to be something wrong with Chumbyland loading - it's cycling between 1.8.7.0 and 1.8.7.2... are you in the process of updating Chumbyland? I tried out the quick trips and it works fine, but after that it cycled back to 1.8.7.0...

Also, it would be great to see the Chumbyland version while loading (i.e. on splash screen)

btw lolz at the UFO

It should hopefully settle at 1.8.7.3 eventually.  The updates are pretty much complete.  My apologies for the random issue here and there.

Heh...your giving away a fun find... smile

Cheers.

wow quick feature add - thx for version info on splash

seems settled at 1.8.7.3 - all is well big_smile

also - when on follow mode there is no option to give a thumbs up; maybe this can be included in next version smile

keep up the great work big_smile

Regards,

blobby

Thank YOU for all the features and done so quickly!  Very impressive!

For the list... would it be possible to log and email chumbversations... our chums are saying interesting things to each other... and sometimes I am not at my chumby to witness it.  Again, I'd be willing to pay gifts for the feature.

(I really like this concept of a gift economy... kind of like linden dollars.)

fothchumby wrote:

Thank YOU for all the features and done so quickly!  Very impressive!

For the list... would it be possible to log and email chumbversations... our chums are saying interesting things to each other... and sometimes I am not at my chumby to witness it.  Again, I'd be willing to pay gifts for the feature.

(I really like this concept of a gift economy... kind of like linden dollars.)

Yeah gift economy is pretty cool, just like Linden dollars.  I will put the Chumversation logging on the list. smile

Thanks for the comments!

I thought I would share a set up for some of the more "hardcore" Chumbyland citizens smile

To get the most "action" out of the widget, you should set the play time between 5 - 10 minutes.  Chumbyland does not refresh on its own, so you need at least one other widget in your channel.

When including other widgets in the channel, you can work out the refresh by adding up the other widgets play time.  For example you could have the Chumbyland widget run for 3 minutes (it will always stay running while your interacting with it), and then 7 other widgets that run for 60 seconds a piece - adding up to 10 minutes.  Mix and match to your desire.

As noted by another citizen, you can put 2 Chumbyland widgets back to back.  You can set both play times between 5 - 10 minutes.

Just a handy tip to maximize your Chumbyland experience!

Cheers.

you are da bomb.

this app rocks. backbone of the chumby platform.

For some reason I can't click to type in my chumbversations. i saw some hack to get around it somewhere but i can't find it anymore.

anyways great job on it. its an awesome app.

117 (edited by acb73737 2008-11-02 17:00:06)

I could never get to the chumversation thing.  Crafting just started working for me yesterday, but it is broken again.

OMG -- I was just abducted by aliens.  be careful of what you wish for, eh? 

This has been a fun ride -- I wonder what following my Chum will present -- stars?

wayn3w

acb73737 wrote:

I could never get to the chumversation thing.  Crafting just started working for me yesterday, but it is broken again.

Make sure that the url in your browser is pointed to http://www.gochumby.com/cl - exactly like that.  Sometimes that seems to solve the problem.

Cheers.

This is one of the most favorite widget for me,?thank you very much.

I have just translated Chumbyland User Guide(version 1.8.7.5) into Japanese to understand how to use this.
I think that I'd like to share the translation on Japanese Chumby Forum(http://www.chumby.jp/forum/) or my blog for other Japanese users.
Could you please tell me what should I do to get permission to share it or whether there are any conditions to do?

black wrote:

This is one of the most favorite widget for me,?thank you very much.

I have just translated Chumbyland User Guide(version 1.8.7.5) into Japanese to understand how to use this.
I think that I'd like to share the translation on Japanese Chumby Forum(http://www.chumby.jp/forum/) or my blog for other Japanese users.
Could you please tell me what should I do to get permission to share it or whether there are any conditions to do?

Wow that is awesome!  smile

You have my permission to use whatever you need, just let me know where you post it.

Thanks for the support!

Cheers.

Thank you.
I shared the Japanese User Guide on Japanese Chumby Forum, here.
http://www.chumby.jp/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16

black wrote:

Thank you.
I shared the Japanese User Guide on Japanese Chumby Forum, here.
http://www.chumby.jp/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16

Thank you!

I also put a link to it from the settings area at gochumby.com.

Cheers.

124 (edited by black 2008-11-05 04:46:45)

I found that the original User Guide had a link to Japanese version.
I have just translated the additional link?:)

Hey, can we also put on the list of things some way of managing how the chums interact?  I was trying to have a chumversation with a friend but the chums didn't spend much time close to each other.

It's not like I want to stalk a chum or force a conversation on a chum, but I'd like it if we could at least try to have a discussion!

Again... just a polite suggestion! And thanks again for making a great virtual playground.