Re: Chumbyland

Maybe you've tried to create a gift and automatically you loose 10 gifts.

Nope, I haven't made a gift yet. I only had about 8 or 9 items total. Now I have 3.

there is a thief too...

Then the theif needs to be toned down a bit. That's way too much to loose all at once. I hope this isn't related to that game I played with another Chumbyland user.

80 (edited by cbreeze 2008-10-20 22:20:58)

I turned the thief off recently I thought.  So you are losing items for no reason?

I'm away for the week so sorry if I am a little delayed in my responses.

Lost at least 5 items, all at once. It wasn't because of the game, thank goodness. But I can't think of why so many items disappeared so fast. I've been giving them away with friend requests, but I didn't give them away that fast. I was down to just 2 items for a few hours there. I even lost my cool Pumpkin!

MaxSMoke777 wrote:

Lost at least 5 items, all at once. It wasn't because of the game, thank goodness. But I can't think of why so many items disappeared so fast. I've been giving them away with friend requests, but I didn't give them away that fast. I was down to just 2 items for a few hours there. I even lost my cool Pumpkin!

I will take a look, could be something strange going on.  I wonder if anyone else is having that problem?

I think that I am addicted to Chumbyland! I love it! One thing that I wish we could do.... Sorry, it is getting close to Christmas! Well, it would be very cool if you could send your chum to another chums home rather than wait to get there. (on the chance that you see it also) Everything else is fantastic! I have set up my backgrounds, played games with my chums, crafted, won the lottery (woohoo!), and am waiting to catch myself in a chumversation. Excellent widget! Thank you for making my day!

Twinkle

I'm still trying to find somebody with an new home background. So far, they've been all generic everytime I check.

85 (edited by blobby 2008-10-24 20:55:46)

Hi

First of all, cool widget develephant, with excellent growth potential cool

I also support the idea of following your chum to wherever it goes, however, would that affect the loot pickup? - i.e. people can steal your loot that is at your home (tho I have not had loot/treasure chests drop from sky yet, I don't want the stuff pinched by passers-by sad )

Also, another idea - to have a central forum (or multiple when the population grows) where all chums can gather and play games to win off each other items (expanded games like chess, checkers etc), or even betting items on sports matches (probably NFL, MLB, EPL, NRL, AFL etc etc wink )

Another idea - to add chums by username in addition to adding those who are at your home or location owners - and having a directory of all Chumbyland users with search function. neutral

To a bug I may be experiencing - I am currently having refresh issues sad ; I need to change to another widget then back to move from packing to travelling or travelling to home -- I did, at the beginning, have Chumbyland pinned, then set it to run forever, then now custom 600s. Sometimes I forget and keep Chumbyland pinned which may have corrupted the installation...

Do I have to delete and then reinstall? Would I lose my items and settings, or is the profile saved by Chumby ID tied with a unique Chumbyland key? (I am using v1.8.5.2)

There may be another bug on the gochumby.com/cl configuration tool - when I go to Your Chum settings, and exit that menu before the icons load, the icons then are overlayed on the screen when they load sad

Now to another issue - there are concerns out there posted by other users regarding mature content. There may be concern for the customisation of backgrounds and items - people may upload inappropriate pictures for certain age groups yikes - there should be explicit rules regarding customisation -- you might not want to end up like Spore, with all the penis avatars/monsters/creatures etc tongue -- maybe having the customisations pass through an authorisation process first.

O well.

@MaxSMoke777 - nice cartoon castle background btw; I have got some customised desktop backgrounds from 2desktop.com, check out the pretty Aurora Australis big_smile ; I also saw a Japanese user have an manga background - brings the grand total to 2 customisations I have encountered. /edit: I've now seen a Disney style castle and a pretty mountain landscape background

Thx once again develephant for this amazing widget. 5 stars. wink

Regards

blobby

(P.S. if you don't mind, could you create a music tuner and metronome widget please? It would be much appreciated. http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=3107)

I have a suggestion too, but I could work on it: A widget which you could "paint" personalized gifts or avatars smile It could be great!

blobby wrote:

Hi

To a bug I may be experiencing - I am currently having refresh issues sad ; I need to change to another widget then back to move from packing to travelling or travelling to home -- I did, at the beginning, have Chumbyland pinned, then set it to run forever, then now custom 600s. Sometimes I forget and keep Chumbyland pinned which may have corrupted the installation...

Do I have to delete and then reinstall? Would I lose my items and settings, or is the profile saved by Chumby ID tied with a unique Chumbyland key? (I am using v1.8.5.2)

There may be another bug on the gochumby.com/cl configuration tool - when I go to Your Chum settings, and exit that menu before the icons load, the icons then are overlayed on the screen when they load sad

Now to another issue - there are concerns out there posted by other users regarding mature content. There may be concern for the customisation of backgrounds and items - people may upload inappropriate pictures for certain age groups yikes - there should be explicit rules regarding customisation -- you might not want to end up like Spore, with all the penis avatars/monsters/creatures etc tongue -- maybe having the customisations pass through an authorisation process first.

@MaxSMoke777 - nice cartoon castle background btw; I have got some customised desktop backgrounds from 2desktop.com, check out the pretty Aurora Australis big_smile ; I also saw a Japanese user have an manga background - brings the grand total to 2 customisations I have encountered.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=3107)

I am having the same refresh issues. I am starting to worry that I am spending too much time clicking into the control panel and am going to wear my chumby out. (I have a mean game going on with my office mate!)

The gochumby.com/cl issue happened to me also, but that was about a week ago. I think that I was hitting the back button instead of main menu. I don't know!

I am also concerned about backgrounds that would not be appropriate. I would have to delete the widget in case my children would happen upon it, and also work appropriateness. Yikes!

What are your chum's names - maybe those with uploaded backgrounds could network to get to one anothers homes (for lack of a better word). Also, I have yet to have a chumversation. I am always seen talking, yes, to myself!

Max, your castle was incredible!!!!! very cool! I loooovvvee Chumbyland!

Thanks, it's just something I tossed together.  I hope to see some other custom Chumbylands soon.

I have to say thank you, too.  I've made friends, seen new backgrounds (you gotta keep checking!) played games.  I look forward to see what messages I have!

Who would have thought?!?!?!

As far as nice to haves: it would be nice to be able to configure the widget to display the chum-cam instead of you home.  That way you wouldn't miss the backgrounds you are at.

But, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Twinkle wrote:

I am starting to worry that I am spending too much time clicking into the control panel and am going to wear my chumby out.

If you want to you can use the accelerometer to switch widgets - its easier this way to refresh Chumbyland, switching to next widget then back smile .

See http://www.chumby.com/pages/anatomy#motion

Hope it helps - to reduce wear and just for convenience also

Can the accelerometer be used to show the Chumby Cam? That might be a cool way to quickly show you where your Chum is at.  How about, say, turning the chumby upside down for a second? And then putting it back upright would turn off the cam.

Thank you for some fantastic ideas.  I am starting to think out 2.0 so this is perfect.

I am out of town, but will address some of these ideas in more detail when I return.

Thanks again for the comments.  Chumbyland would be pretty quiet without you!

Cheers.

93 (edited by cbreeze 2008-10-27 11:26:46)

A Chumbyland user had asked about a method to create a transparent PNG.  I thought I would post my reply as it may help others.

----

I myself use Photoshop, but I know not everyone has that program.  The other option is a site called http://pixlr.com/app/

I will just give a quick example of how to get a transparent .PNG and if you need more detail let me know.

Once you are at the pixlr application, start by selecting the menu options File->New

Put in your size.  Most icons I work with are 32 by 32.  Your final file size will be 16x16 but that process can happen in the config tool on gochumby.com.  But I do recommend starting with an image with equal sides.  Make sure to check the "Transparent" checkbox before clicking OK.

You should now have a new blank image with a transparent "background" layer in the Layers window to the right (most likely called Layer 0).

Now in the menu choose File->Open and locate the icon image you want to work with.  This will open in a new window.  With the window selected choose from the menu Edit->Select All.  Then choose Edit->Copy.

Click back on your "Blank" image and choose Edit->Paste from the menu.  This will create a new layer in the Layers window with your image (you can close the original one now if you wish).

Now decide what you want to be transparent.  Usually it is the white or black background, but you can experiment with whatever you like.  Do this by choosing the "Wand" tool from the Tools windows on the left.  It looks like a wand with a pink star at the end.

When you select the wand tool, at the top you will see an area for the "Tolerance", make sure to set this to about 90.  Leave everything else as is.

With the wand tool, select the areas of color you want to be transparent.  To select multiple areas use hold the "Shift" key while clicking with the wand tool.  It may be helpful to use the Zoom tool to select the areas you want.  When you have what you want selected, from the menu choose Edit->Cut.

You should now see a "checker board" pattern in the areas that will show up as transparent (if not then something went wrong somewhere).  From the menu select File->Save.  Make sure "Png" is selected, give it a name, and click OK.

You now have the perfect PNG for Chumbyland!

----

It is important to note that what you see in the Crafting Tool is what you will get in Chumbyland.  So if you see a white background, that will indeed show up, so make sure to double check.

Cheers!

So, now having a group of c'land friends who I would both like to visit and to host, traveling has become something worth having a discussion about.

Last night, I was "home" waiting for a friend to visit... and when I woke up, I found my Chumby travelling... and to the best of my knowledge, I had not made this request.

Is this possible?

Also, it would be nice for there to be a more direct way to travel to friend's home as was previously mentioned.  Here's some suggestions as possible means to implement that:

* Beam or fly directly to a friend's home.  Perhaps you would be required to spend a gift on this or exchange a gift for tickets that would be used (I think a gift is a high price for one trip: perhaps you could buy five tickets for a gift).

* Allow the traveller to pick either an expedited route or a normal route (kind of like sometimes I take a highway because I want to get someplace quick and sometimes I take the scenic route).

Then there is the issue of being at a destination.  I still can't explain my chumby leaving home and wandering on it's own.  Then there is the issue of traveling to a friend's home and wanting to meet them there... but you need to wait until they return from a trip... and you leave before they get home.

I think there needs to be some more control over how long you hang out at different chumby homes: at least at home and at your destination... but perhaps even at each stopping point along a trip.

I still can't beleive how much I am getting into this...

(and if I didn't have my own projects, I'd offer to help to code... won't be available until December)

@fothchumby - Yes, your Chum can decide it wants to travel on its own if it gets "bored".  This will be addressed differently in v2.

As far as travel is concerned, there will be a dramatic change in how it works in the upcoming version 2, so hang tight, I think it will address a lot of the comments regarding travel.  I like the idea of "express" travel tickets.

I don't really want to put that much more "heavy" coding in the 1.x version, and instead focus on version 2.  I don't have a specific release date (some IRL work to do also) so please be patient, but keep the comments coming.

Cheers.

Ooooohhhh, can we please beam? I think chumbyland would be so exciting with a little star trek feature going for it! I really like the ticket idea also! I got stuck at someone's place all day, and finally sent my  Chum home. That was when I was trying to travel to another Chum's specific place.

Also, I have crafted items twice in the past, and have quite a few (I love the lottery), but now have a concern if I craft more items. Don't laugh - I don't want to lose my favorite items (I want to pick the ones to give up). Will it just take away items at random now, or what will happen?

I Love Chumbyland!!!

Twinkle

Twinkle wrote:

Ooooohhhh, can we please beam? I think chumbyland would be so exciting with a little star trek feature going for it! I really like the ticket idea also! I got stuck at someone's place all day, and finally sent my  Chum home. That was when I was trying to travel to another Chum's specific place.

Also, I have crafted items twice in the past, and have quite a few (I love the lottery), but now have a concern if I craft more items. Don't laugh - I don't want to lose my favorite items (I want to pick the ones to give up). Will it just take away items at random now, or what will happen?

I Love Chumbyland!!!

Twinkle

Thanks for the comments Twinkle.  Yes, in the future you will be able to choose the items you want to use as "payment" for a Crafting Token, a number of users have asked about it, so don't worry, no laughing here smile

See ya in Chumbyland.

Well, if you're gonna having beaming around, you HAVE to have alien abduction... flying saucers coming in to lift people up into the ships and return them a few days later.

wayn3w

Hi!  This is my first post here, and I hope I'm not duplicating anything.  I've been playing around with CL and now want to customize a bit.  I've been trying to enter the key and keep getting told I need to download CL.  Is there something I'm missing?  I'm trying to enter it at gochumby/cl.  Help!  big_smile

Bubbles wrote:

Hi!  This is my first post here, and I hope I'm not duplicating anything.  I've been playing around with CL and now want to customize a bit.  I've been trying to enter the key and keep getting told I need to download CL.  Is there something I'm missing?  I'm trying to enter it at gochumby/cl.  Help!  big_smile

Hi Bubbles - Welcome to the forums.

Try using this url exactly as is - http://www.gochumby.com/cl

If that does not help let me know your Chumbyland name and I will take a look.

Cheers.