Re: Chumbyland

I can see my Chums now - thanks!

theprawn wrote:

I'm assuming statements are topics you bring up and response is how your chum reacts to a given statement by another chum. . .

that said, I've yet to be able to configure it. I click and nothing happens. I've tried it in the latest version of every major browser . . . what's amiss?

Also, apostrophes used in ones description are shown escaped in the edit box after saving.

So 2 things to try.  First you should empty your browser cache.  I notice that my server is caching more with all the hits for the images and db calls.  And second make sure that you are hitting http://www.gochumby.com/cl and not something like gochumby.com/cl

Let me know if any of that solves it.  I was able to test your account successfully.

-Fixed the "tweet" bug also - thanks.

Cheers.

sishogan wrote:

I can see my Chums now - thanks!

You got it!

See ya in Chumbyland!

That really doesn't explain how this Chumversation works. I'd assume the icon is what is floating over the Chum's head? If it's clicked on, then what? I'd assume a statement is made, but why is there two parts to the statement? It's not like we're talking in real-time. How is this person going to get my statement back? Does it just appear on their screen? And how are they going to know what I'm responding to?

This really doesn't make sense. I fear this might be a feature that is too esoteric to ever gain any wide spread usage. It might help if it was explained better.

55 (edited by cbreeze 2008-10-08 15:47:10)

MaxSMoke777 wrote:

That really doesn't explain how this Chumversation works. I'd assume the icon is what is floating over the Chum's head? If it's clicked on, then what? I'd assume a statement is made, but why is there two parts to the statement? It's not like we're talking in real-time. How is this person going to get my statement back? Does it just appear on their screen? And how are they going to know what I'm responding to?

This really doesn't make sense. I fear this might be a feature that is too esoteric to ever gain any wide spread usage. It might help if it was explained better.

It's just plain Chumbyland magic is what it is! wink

Just kidding.  Okay, I'll do a play by play...

For this example lets assume we have 2 Chums:

Chum A = Develephant
Chum B = MaxSMoke777

Our "topic" will be represented by the Car icon.  You could probably assume that the "topic" is in relation to automobiles (of course it can be whatever you want, though others may think you are a little nutty, but that can also be part of the fun).

In my Chumversation settings under the Car "topic", I (Chum A) might put the following in my statement and response:

Statement: "Cars cost too much to run"
Reponse: "I try not to drive too much"

Now it's important to point out that my "statement" really has no relationship to my "response".  You'll see why in a bit...

Now you (Chum B) in your Chumversation settings under the Car "topic" might have something like so:

Statement: "Do you like cars at all?"
Response: "I tried to race a cop once"

Again, your "statement" has no relation to your "response".  And here is why...

Let's say that you and I (Chum A and Chum B), in our travels, happen to both visit some other Chumby at the same time (or we could both be at one of our own for that matter).

I (Chum A) decide to engage in a Chumversation with you (Chum B).  This is something that a "pixel" Chum will do on it's own while hanging out at a Chumby.

I (Chum A) start the Chumversation, and I want to talk about the Car "topic".  In that case my Chum would lead the Chumversation with my "statement" related to the Car "topic".  My Chum would then "announce" the text I entered visually on screen (via a talk bubble).  You (Chum B), in response to the Car "topic" will use your, you guessed it, "response" text, again shown on the screen.

So something like this takes place:

Chum A engages in a Chumversation about the Car "topic" with Chum B:

Chum A: "Cars cost too much to run"
Chum B: "I tried to race a cop once"

Now if you (Chum B) were to start the Chumversation it might go like this:

Chum B: "Do you like cars at all?"
Chum A: "I try not to drive too much"

Remember, that this Chumversation could be happening anywhere, with any other Chum.  It does not have to take place only on your Chumby.

So that is pretty much it.  It may appear complicated, but it really isn't, though you don't really get to see the effect until your Chum is having a Chumversation (which is probably why it seems esoteric).  I have a couple dev Chums running for testing, and the Chumversations can be quite humorous sometimes.

If you prefer not to see the text bubble Chumversations on your screen you can toggle them in the "settings" area in the widget by touching the clock/logo on the main toolbar.

Hope that helps.  See ya in Chumbyland!

Adding www. fixed it, I've now joined the cool conversational Chums. Thanks.

Ok, I think I understand! I went through and added comebacks for every statement I had. If you see my avie, he should say something interesting now.

Wopuld it be possible to find out who added me as a Chum?  I saw a couple messages to that effect flash by, but I didn't make note, and now it's gone into the aether.

wayn3w

wayn3w wrote:

Wopuld it be possible to find out who added me as a Chum?  I saw a couple messages to that effect flash by, but I didn't make note, and now it's gone into the aether.

wayn3w

Good call, I am working this one out.  As a side note - if you have recieved an item as a gift you can now touch that item in your "items" list and view more info about that Chum, including adding them to your My Chums, and sending them an item as well.

Cheers.

I hate to be pushy, but will we be seeing a quick-access icon on the top bar that gives one-button access to the ChumbyCam when your Chummy is out traveling? Digging though the menus to find the Cam can be a pain.

MaxSMoke777 wrote:

I hate to be pushy, but will we be seeing a quick-access icon on the top bar that gives one-button access to the ChumbyCam when your Chummy is out traveling? Digging though the menus to find the Cam can be a pain.

I am still monitoring the bandwidth.  If it seems doable,  then I will put it in.  You can access the cam in 2 "touches" by touching the "chum status" area and then the cam button.

As soon as I think it's not going to hit my wallet, I will drop a quick link in.

Cheers.

Chumbyland 1.8

The Chumbyland Postmaster has arrived!  You can now send "mail" to other Chums.

For more information check out the updated user guide on the first page of this thread.  It may be a good idea to look it over in any case as some things have been tweaked a bit.

Thanks to Duane from Chumby for providing the virtual keyboard source code (which is available on the wiki now).

Cheers.

Would it be possible to drop items on the ground,  either at home or on the road, so people can find them?  It would be an alternative to giving them away.

wayn3w

Is it possible to drop things? Our view is locked into our home base. The only way to see where your Chummy is well traveling is to use the ChummyCam, and that seems non-interactive.  You'd have to, like, throw the item into somebody else's home base, I think. Right?

Yeah I have the drop item thing on one of my lists here somewhere smile so keep your eyes open.

66 (edited by cbreeze 2008-10-14 15:47:23)

Some recent additions - 1.8.3 and up...

Chumbyland Lotto - Try to guess the correct sequence and win big.  Cost 1 item to play, win up to 15 items, 4 drawings daily.

Chumbyland Games - Play a simple game with other Chums in Chumbyland.  See the updated guide for more information here

An adjustment has been made when using a set travel destination to another Chum (via the "Travel Here" button).  You will now "hang out" at the destination once you arrive there.  You can call your Chum home using the "Return Home" button, or they will return by themselves if there for too long.

A number of bug fixes - thank you to those who helped point them out.

In the online settings panel, you can now also change your "pixel" Chum, as well as, the name of your Chum.

Coming soon: Make legend in Chumbyland by crafting your own unique items to be infused into the Chumbyland "economy".  These will be one of a kind items that can not be "deleted".  There will be a fairly hefty item cost for each one you make, so start traveling and collecting that "loot".

Cheers.

I want to be my chum and travel as he does!!!!!

I had a very silly thought... a Chumbyland map.  People can see the pseudo locations of the Travelling Chumberrys and their Chumby homes.  This could be on the website instead of on the Chumby itself (for a change).  Your own Chumby's route can be plotted on the map! 

Not exactly sure how it would look, but as I said, it was silly.

wayn3w

theMartix wrote:

I want to be my chum and travel as he does!!!!!

Me too...I'm jealous. smile

wayn3w wrote:

I had a very silly thought... a Chumbyland map.  People can see the pseudo locations of the Travelling Chumberrys and their Chumby homes.  This could be on the website instead of on the Chumby itself (for a change).  Your own Chumby's route can be plotted on the map! 

wayn3w

Actually, not so silly, the code is already sitting dormant in the widget for something very similar to that.  I started working on it over the weekend, I just need to finalize the UI.  Your reading the code with your mind power wink

71 (edited by cbreeze 2008-10-15 13:32:41)

Chumbyland 1.8.5 -

Now with Item Crafting!

Make your mark in Chumbyland with unique items that you create.  Go to the Chumbyland Settings Panel for more information, as well as, the item crafting tutorial here http://www.gochumby.com/cl/crafting.php

I look forward to seeing some cool new items around.

Cheers.

Am I the only person that thinks this Item Crafting, as it is planned, will put an end to Gift giving? People will be so busy hording presents that they won't give any to each other. That would be sad.

73 (edited by cbreeze 2008-10-15 21:50:09)

MaxSMoke777 wrote:

Am I the only person that thinks this Item Crafting, as it is planned, will put an end to Gift giving? People will be so busy hording presents that they won't give any to each other. That would be sad.

Yes, you are quite correct that it could be a concern.  I have upped the chance of finding items a couple percent so hopefully people will still gift.  And not everyone is interested in crafting, so we will have to wait and see how the balance works out.

There needs to be a little "pain" involved in item creation, one so that people will take the time to make sure they put up a fun item, as opposed to just throwing a ton of random items up.  It's still a work in progress so we just need to watch how it settles.  If adjustments need to be made, they can be made.

Traveling, the lotto, keeping your eye out for "special" Chums, and winning the multi-player games all earn you some items, so keep at it.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Cheers.

cbreeze wrote:
wayn3w wrote:

wayn3w

Actually, not so silly, the code is already sitting dormant in the widget for something very similar to that.  I started working on it over the weekend, I just need to finalize the UI.  Your reading the code with your mind power wink

The map would be very big if the chumbyland population goes up.

A whole lot of my items recently disappeared.  Why would that happen?