Re: Chumbyland

Some recent updates in Chumbyland (version 1.6 or better):

---

New Chumbyland events:

Keep your eye out for special Chums that trigger events.

Game Host - The game host allows you to play a simple game to earn prizes (more games will be added over time).
Fugitives - Help keep Chumbyland clean, if you spot one of these Chums you will earn a reward.

A Chumbyland alert is sent out whenever one of these Chums are active in Chumbyland.

---

Handy clock added to the upper left hand corner.

---

Travel Log:

You can now jump directly to the Travel Log area by touching the "chum status" area on the main tool bar.

While in the Travel Log you can now view your "Chum Location Cam" and also get visiting location information by touching the "Owner Info" button.  Here you can view the Chumbyland location owner and whoever else is currently at that location.  You can also send an instant gift and add the owner to your My Chums from this area.

---

Some items/rewards/gifts are now delivered as "loot".  If you see packages or other random icons on your screen, simply touch them to retrieve your item.

Over 50 new items have been added.

---

Tons of under the hood fixes, mostly boring stuff.

---

Reminder: You can manage your My Chums by touching a Chum on your My Chums list.  You can set a direct Travel destination, send a gift, or remove the Chum from this area.  There is currently a 20 maximum My Chum limit, but that may change.

---

Don't forget you can customize your background, as well as your Chum "tweet" text by touching the clock/logo on the left of the main tool bar.

Some of the Chumyland locations my Chum has seen in its travels have been awesome!  And don't forget to share - gifting is good in Chumbyland!

Cheers.

Wonderful widget! I'm really enjoying it -- put on some Blue Mars stream in the back ground and enjoying some chum travel.

I, too, would like for some simple small text to make the travel a bit less lonely. My chum gets to have all the fun!

Is "Monster" an NPC? I got a gift for apprehending a criminal -- I swear it said in my profile after that that I received it as a gift.  Later, after "Monster" visited my page, it said that the gift from the criminal was a gift from monster.  Either the game saw that the gift didn't have a giver and just took the name from the next guest or else I got the same gift twice and it just updates the source?  Or is it possible to have multiple of the same gift?

theprawn wrote:

Wonderful widget! I'm really enjoying it -- put on some Blue Mars stream in the back ground and enjoying some chum travel.

I, too, would like for some simple small text to make the travel a bit less lonely. My chum gets to have all the fun!

Is "Monster" an NPC? I got a gift for apprehending a criminal -- I swear it said in my profile after that that I received it as a gift.  Later, after "Monster" visited my page, it said that the gift from the criminal was a gift from monster.  Either the game saw that the gift didn't have a giver and just took the name from the next guest or else I got the same gift twice and it just updates the source?  Or is it possible to have multiple of the same gift?

Hmm...thanks for pointing that out.  I'll take a look.  Yes "Monster" is an NPC, and you can have more then one of the same item, but items from a fugitive should be labeled as a "reward" in your items list.

Thanks for posting bugs, it helps alot.  In the next major update there will be some simple "messaging" added, so stay tuned!

I would kinda like a setting to always seem where my Chummy is at. I know what my chummy home looks like, I would like to see other's.

I suppose the next thing to add is ambient sound.  Crickets for night and birds or wind for daytime. Or have the user specify it.

wayn3w
PS.  Don't forget to rate the ChumbyLand widget!

Please no ambient sound, or at least an option to turn it off. My Chumby is near my bed, and I don't want to hear racket all night.

I guess there is an unwritten rule of Chumby Widget design that there is no sound unless the user requests it (through preferences) or throug interacting with it.  The excellent widget The Human Calendar only emits sound when the user touches the screen or shakes it.

So it is in this spirit that I suggest ambient sound may be the next thing to add-- only when the user wants it.

wayn3w

wayn3w wrote:

I guess there is an unwritten rule of Chumby Widget design that there is no sound unless the user requests it (through preferences) or throug interacting with it.  The excellent widget The Human Calendar only emits sound when the user touches the screen or shakes it.

So it is in this spirit that I suggest ambient sound may be the next thing to add-- only when the user wants it.

wayn3w

Yes - been thinking alot about sound.  And have no fear, any type of option that could be disruptive to your surroundings will always be optional.

MaxSMoke777 wrote:

I would kinda like a setting to always seem where my Chummy is at. I know what my chummy home looks like, I would like to see other's

I am assuming you have used the Chum Location Cam, which visually will show where you currently are.  Are you referring to some other type of functionality?

btw - Max's castle is awesome - I've been there smile

Thanks for the ideas.

Thanks!

When my Chummy is traveling, I'd like to always see where he is, rather then Max's Castle.  I'd like to see if anybody else has any interesting home backgrounds. Is there some setting I could select so it's always on the Location Cam?

Speaking of the Chum Location Cam, is there any way to make it 1 button on the interface well traveling? Like a one-click short cut? Maybe an eye-ball icon on the top bar?

Btw, I love the new treasure chest that magically appeared today. I heard you also added a monster that can be captured for more loot. I haven't seen him yet, but I'm looking. I hope I don't miss him!

And do you need any artwork for this widget?

When I see other chums, they some times have little emotes over their heads--which is very cool. The national flag I am assuming is their actual origin--are the other ones meaningless?  The weather, for example--does it have the ability to actually get the user weather and display based on that? If not, I wish it did, I'd be glad to input my zipcode and have it indicate my chums weather.  The ability to somehow configure/cause the other emotes would be great too--assuming they are generally at present just random.

hi cbreeze.

Great community reaction to Chumbyland.  Congratulations for getting to #1 Most Popular!  Wow.  Seems that it is evolving very well, everyone's suggestions are really making this a great widget.  Just wish I had a Chumby of my own to try it on - keep up to good work!

ricmib

Yes, I second the idea for some kind of ability to determine which Emotes float over my Chummy's head.  How about a check-box list of Emotes we can pick that will randomly float over our heads? Then we'd have some kind of control. I know you can't do anything too complicated, like check our weather, but some kind of personality control would be cool.

I would also like to be able to have more then one thing my Chummy would say when clicked on. How about 3 or 4 lines we can setup on the website, and whenever our Chummy is clicked on, one of those lines will be displayed. Our Chummy would be like a fortunate cookie, with lots of things to say.

I would also love to see a more complex item system, something that also allows users to make items for others. I have LOTS of ideas for crazy little items, and I'd also like to include little 64x64 pixel icons for those items. And 200+ letter descriptions for those items.

38 (edited by theprawn 2008-10-06 16:19:15)

Not to say he should or would want to -- but if it was a feature he was interested in, weather wouldn't be a "complicated" thing beyond possibility on a technical level. He's already allowing for the configuration of your settings via an external website.  Plug in your zip code there -- every 30 or 60 or whatever minutes it could check the weather for the users who input their zips all in the background, independent of the widget itself, via wunderground's api (or xml) and cache that in a simple database -- so it would have little to no impact on the load of the app itself.  Given the relative complexity of chumbyland as it stands, I don't think this would be any difficulty for the develphant.  Though I'd be more than happy to lend my php/mysql experience if there were any server side things, such as this, I could help out with.

(My one complaint about Chumby, you have to be a flash developer to do anything with it . . . otherwise, I have so many ideas. Egads!)

Custom item creating would be *quite* fun.  And I definitely would like to be able to check the box next to coffee, videogames and eating.

[edited for clarity]

Thank you all for your input and comments.  Chumbyland is all of you, so you made it go #1, so thank you.

So first the weather feature, this would be fairly simple to implement.  Is the general consensus is that your Chum would show an icon based on the weather in your area?

Item creation - this is still hot on my list, but requires some adjustments.  Believe it or not Chumbyland is starting to get pretty deep on the "backend".

Chum Location Cam - The cam is actually the most resource and bandwidth intensive feature of Chumbyland.  So I am ramping up its use with caution.  But I hear you loud and clear.  It would be sweet to always see where you Chum is.

And the big one is the "thought" icons.  I should be rolling out a beta of a new piece of functionality called "Chumversations" soon.  It may not be the final direction, but it is an interesting "mad-lib" like concept that should be fun to try out.  It might also make you new friends without your direct interaction wink

---

I am open to any help on anything.  If you know PHP and mySQL type stuff, and can output an XML file, and have some information you would like added (like weather) let me know.  Artwork is something that could be helpful also.

I was also thinking of adding a "theme" type addition to the widget to allow you to pick different day/night backgrounds submitted by others.  What is the general feeling about that idea?  Yea - Nay?

See ya in Chumbyland.

Cheers.

If the Chum Location Cam is high bandwidth, then how about just adding a quick view button to the top menu bar so we can see where our Chummys are at with one button push? Right now it requires several menus to see the Chum Location Cam. I'd love quicker access to the Cam.

Hi
This is a great widget, it's also amazing how much it has advanced in such a short time.
Here is a thought for the background images. Can you have a stock set of icons such as buildings, trees, clouds, etc and then we can log into the chumby website and put our own background together using the icons provided? You could also add theme type icons so you can decorate for the holidays such as Halloween.

keep up the good work.

John

Have you considered allowing people to upload SWFs for the background, in addition to JPEG?  I think you're just doing a loadMovie() anyway...although that would probably mess things up, unless you changed the way Chum Cam works (you'd have to download the pieces rather than image on the server).

You might find that the backgrounds would be smaller and use less bandwidth, and would let people get more creative with them.

Isn't editing JPEG's simpler then the making SWF? I don't have any programs to edit SWF, but I have several photo editing tools to make backgrounds. It really couldn't be easier to make a JPEG. And you can control the size of a JPEG with the compression settings. My castle images are 15k and 21k at %50 JPEG compression. You can download and edit that JPEG background off Chumbyland's website and edit it in Windows Paintbrush, if you don't have any other better photo editor.

It would be interesting though if we could use our "Gifts" for decoration. Like dropping a Tree or a Rock on the background the same way items appear now, although bigger. I suppose something that size might require Flash, since JPEG's don't have transparency and the file sizes would get large with many little objects. They could be little flash objects you can drag around with your finger in some kind of "Home Edit" mode.

That might be a bit much though? Adding a "Home Edit" mode would probably be a rather big undertaking, right?

@cbreeze:
I am having trouble with the "My Chums" list. I have added several Chums but when I open the screen the program tells me I have not added any. When I tap the Chums I have selected, only the "Remove Chum from list" option is available. I have removed and reinstalled the widget with no change. Can you help?

45 (edited by wayn3w 2008-10-07 18:50:51)

Could we have the option to tell people what we were listening to on our Chumby?  Essentially when the widget runs, you pull music information out of the user's environment and upload it to your server.  It could show up as the "tweet" and maybe have a musical note as the icon hanging over our heads...

I've documented a lot of the environment variables here

wayn3w

46 (edited by cbreeze 2008-10-08 01:01:13)

@Duane:
Yes, I did think about this, and the main issue was the Cam.  I will need to implement 2 versions, but I agree it would be worth it.  That way it could support .swf and .jpeg

@wayn3w:
Good idea.  It's going on the list.

@MaxSMoke777 & widiver:
This is certainly the goal I would like to work towards (I'm thinking 2.0).  The main issue is art elements.  I am thinking maybe setting up an asset area on the site, and like you mention, have others populate the items.  You actually can do transparency with a .png file, which is what most of Chumbyland uses.

@sishogan:
Took a look - you should be good to go now, sorry about that.  Helped find a little bug though smile

Thanks for the input!

Chumbyland 1.7

Now with Chumversations!  Give your pixel Chum a little "voice".

Chums will now engage in short Chumversations using dialog you create.

If you don't want to see Chumversations in your Chumbyland, you can toggle it in the new "settings" area by touching the clock/logo on the main toolbar.

More "topics" will be added over time.

See ya in Chumbyland!

Cheers.

Um, I don't understand how this Chumversation works. Can you give me some examples? What does Response mean? Where does Statement show up?

I'm assuming statements are topics you bring up and response is how your chum reacts to a given statement by another chum. . .

that said, I've yet to be able to configure it. I click and nothing happens. I've tried it in the latest version of every major browser . . . what's amiss?

Also, apostrophes used in ones description are shown escaped in the edit box after saving.

theprawn wrote:

I'm assuming statements are topics you bring up and response is how your chum reacts to a given statement by another chum. . .

that said, I've yet to be able to configure it. I click and nothing happens. I've tried it in the latest version of every major browser . . . what's amiss?

Also, apostrophes used in ones description are shown escaped in the edit box after saving.

I am looking into it.  One moment please...

MaxSMoke777 wrote:

Um, I don't understand how this Chumversation works. Can you give me some examples? What does Response mean? Where does Statement show up?

theprawn is correct as far as what they represent.

Cheers.