Topic: Leather-free option?

I would love to buy a Chumby, but not if they all come with leather. Please consider introducing a model of Chumby that does not require the slaughter of animals to complete. Thanks.

Re: Leather-free option?

Thanks for your interest in Chumby! We're currently researching other fit and finish materials for the chumby. At the moment it's only available in leather, but we hope to have an alternative very soon. There is no set date for release of the new casing, but please be assured that we understand your concerns and are working for a good non-animal product finish to our product.

Nice to hear--and hear so quickly! Thanks for your consideration. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

tmlrnz wrote:

I would love to buy a Chumby, but not if they all come with leather. Please consider introducing a model of Chumby that does not require the slaughter of animals to complete. Thanks.

not to get into the moral discussion, but the animals are probably used for food anyway.

I second the request to make a cruelty-free version.  It's kind of sad that the manufacturer of a high-tech product like the Chumby seems to think that stapling on some bits of skin cut from animals who were likely mistreated and terrified during their lives makes the product more appealing.  I was seriously considering buying one until I saw that they all come with leather.  Yuck.

As mentioned above, we're currently researching other fit and finish materials for the chumby and we hope to have an alternative to leather available soon.

Jeans would be cool...

Or black rubber.  Or moleskin (the kind on notebooks, not the kind on moles).  Or canvas (I guess that's pretty much what jeans/denim is, isn't it?)  Or Velcro, so you could apply your choice of covering(s).

As soon as that alternative is out, I'm gettin one!

Yeah, it's the only thing keeping me from buying one for my hippie mom.

Culturedropout... you're entitled to your own thoughts regarding the treatment of animals... but I'll vouch for the large numbers who aren't of the same persuasion as yourself... leather did make the device more appealing to me.

It's real leather?  I thought it was plastic leather.  Or at the most it was bonded leather, which is made from animal leather scraps.

A rigid/non-flexible casing option might appeal to a certain audience too, particularly in the corporate environment.

Although, I personally do love the flexi/squeezy form-factor!

14 (edited by Zoltar 2009-08-31 11:45:33)

Zoltar doesnt understand, how chumby slater animal?

....goat is not animal

Zoltar wrote:

Zoltar doesnt understand, how chumby slater animal?

....goat is not animal

Goat is family member?

chumby is made with real honest-to-goodness *Italian* leather -- the best we could find.  We recognize that some people love that choice, others not so much.  For those others, you will have another option soon :^)

Italian leather, could you expound on that? Thanks smile just curious

?  It's real leather.  And it comes from Italy.  And it's the nicest leather we could find.  Hold the jokes about fine "corinthian" leather :^)

Hopefully the original poster will see the Chumby One (leather free) and decide to pick you up when they become available soon.

Mike_TV wrote:

Hopefully the original poster will see the Chumby One (leather free) and decide to pick you up when they become available soon.

I really hope they release a "classic" chumby with a leather-free option. I think the squishy chumby is adorable and the cuteness/personalization of it was what drew me in. Does anyone know if because they're releasing the chumby one, that a faux-leather chumby is a no-go?

Never say never.

So i guess my dream of a baby seal fur version is right out.