Topic: Official Chumby Launch Date

Has a date been set for the public launch of Chumby yet? The suspense is killing me...

I know it is expected in Q2 2007...but does that mean April or June?

Re: Official Chumby Launch Date

No, we haven't set an official release date - but it will certainly me more on the June end than the April end.

Should you update the front page from "March 2007", if its not going to be anytime soon.

I can't see where you are referring to...in the store I can see Spring 2007 mentioned. Can you explain? Or have they fixed it?

Has there been any updates on a release?  I am quite excited to get my hands on one of these little guys.

Well, we've done our first real test production run of boards in China.  There's still some work to do on the software - we just received a new version of Flash from Adobe and are in the processof porting it, plus it's going to need to go through QA.  We've cleared up most of the other bugs in the drivers, and the new Control Panel is in pretty good shape.

We should be entering the integration phase shortly.  After that, it will be a coupe of weeks to get everything shipped to China and put into production.

We're going as fast as we can while making sure everything's as best as we can make it.

Is it FlashLite 3?  If so, how much testing has taken place with that?  Not suggesting you take longer to deliver, just curious.

Yes, we're currently working with Flash Lite 3, and you're right, testing is an issue, since we haven't as as much time with it as with 2.1.

Fortunately, the chumby can do over-the-air firmware updates so we can fix bugs in the player should they manifest.

very cool, thanks for the response.  Looking forward to the good news

Hi Duane,

I was just thinking, FL3 is not public at all yet is it (should it be mentioned here)? In which case would you be waiting till it is released to go into production with the Chumby's or use an OTA update later on instead?

Ok, it's early summer 2007. Is there a launch date yet?
I want to get one of these for my engineering club.

richardleggett wrote:

I was just thinking, FL3 is not public at all yet is it (should it be mentioned here)? In which case would you be waiting till it is released to go into production with the Chumby's or use an OTA update later on instead?

Adobe publicly announced Flash Lite 3 back in February, so it's no secret.  They have delivered their final code to us, and we've ported it to chumby.  We'll be shipping with Flash Lite 3.

xios42 wrote:

Ok, it's early summer 2007. Is there a launch date yet?
I want to get one of these for my engineering club.

No official date, but you can see what the CEO is saying about it here.

14 (edited by nolantouchstone 2007-07-09 04:15:56)

Who will be selected for the "Beta launch" in July?

We're selecting the beta users from the list of people who previously supplied email addresses as wanting to be contacted when chumbys are available.

I just filled out a first fifty application. Fingers are crossed. Makes it sooo hard to type.

shoe

Excited and hoping to be one of the 50 as well :-D

Why USA only. I don't see what the big deal would be to ship a few to Canada.
It would be good for international relations.  smile

It's a regulatory issue.

We've passed FCC certification in the US, but have not yet gone through the equivalent process in other countries, which is expensive and time consuming even if you pass.

We'll get to it of course, but it would be silly to do it until we've gone through Beta and know that we don't have to make changes that would require us to go through the whole process again.

OK...don't forget Australia when you get around to it though! ;-)  This waiting is killing me!

Will the sensor package, described in the hardware section of the site, be included in the "First 50" or at least available for purchasing?

tgatesman wrote:

Will the sensor package, described in the hardware section of the site, be included in the "First 50" or at least available for purchasing?

Well, if they're not available from Chumby Inc, you can build one yourself, or bribe me enough and I can assemble something similar for you. You can build a fairly nice "Breakout board" simply by buying the connector (a few bucks, available via Digikey) and getting a PCB printed up using the connector's layout broken out into pins and from there, do with it whatever you want. That's what I've been doing anyways. The "hacker sensor package" was something given out at Foo Camp IIRC.

It'll be interesting to see if the "Chumbilical" is changed with the "First 50"/"Ironforge" version as well, so keep that in mind.

One of the more interesting elements of the sensor package, the accelerometer, was added into the "Katamari" second-generation alpha prototype, and is included in the "Ironforge" production units.  I believe the one in the sensor package is 2-axis, but the one in production is 3-axis.

I don't have the details on the "chumbilical" - bunnie's in China at the moment so maybe he'll pipe in when he gets back.

24 (edited by midiwall 2007-07-19 17:00:04)

Duane wrote:

I believe the one in the sensor package is 2-axis, but the one in production is 3-axis.

... drool ...

I think The Chumbster needs to find a place on my dash... ET, HP computations... drop a GPS thumb on him and he learns speed.

Chumby at the drag strip!

:: Mark

So now it's almost AUGUST 2007, and still no Chumby? Wassup? I am an computer/electical engineer, and I have been itching to get a Chumby, and make it my Be ALL, End ALL device. Cell Phone, Alarm clock, GPS, Music player, etc. When will it be available? I'm practically on fire, here, burning for a Chumby I can call my own. PLEASE Chumby Gods on high, finish it and release it! *Aaaarrgh!