Topic: chumbyflashplayer source

Hello,

Where can I obtain the chumbyflashplayer source code and binary on the web?
  What is the max. resolution supported by the player?
  Can we use a button in the flash widget to trigger a hardware event, such as an LED on the GPIO? What is the simplest way to do it?

-splash.

Re: chumbyflashplayer source

You'll need to get the source to the Flash Lite Player by obtaining a license from Adobe Systems.

The player binary (ie. "chumbyflashplayer.x") is only shipped as part of our firmware - we are not licensed to distribute the binaries except as part of the firmware, nor are we licensed to distribute the source code.

In order to affect something in the hardware, you'd need to provide a local executable, which could then be invoked with an XML object  load using the "exec://" protocol.  Only a "master" movie could do this (one invoked from the command line from local storage) - a widget coming in over the network would not have the required privileges.

Alternatively, you could attempt to port Gnash, a player licensed under the GPL.

3 (edited by splash 2008-05-15 00:25:29)

Thanks Duane.

Is there a huge upfront licensing fee involved to get Flash Lite player? Do we also have to pay a per device license fee for using the player on a commercial device?
   Adobe has recently opened the flash format in their Open Screens Initiative.
http://www.adobe.com/openscreenproject/
   This probably means if we use something like gnash, we don't have to pay a per device fee. But for this we have to wait for their next major release. sad

-splash

You'd have to talk to Adobe about the licensing of the Flash Lite player - I don't have any additional information that I can share.

Adobe did recently open all of the specifications and protocols, so the Gnash guys have no barriers to creating a complete implementation.  Their blog is full of old posts ranting about how this information is not available and how evil Adobe is, etc., but they haven't made a peep since Adobe opened everything.