Topic: Needed: A Bar Widget

How great would it be to have small animated martini glasses with random bar drink recipes?  If I knew how to program or create widgets, this would be my first.

"Lookin' for my lost shaker of salt"

Re: Needed: A Bar Widget

I can do widgets - you get me some recipes and we're in business !

YES!!  I will research some popular drinks and send them to you, THANKS!!

4 (edited by wayn3w 2008-05-13 08:27:02)

(bad joke alert -- for the people who've been on the forum awhile)

So it the drink recipes come in via RSS, wouldn't we end up having a 'bar code reader'?

Ok, so maybe it wasn't that funny...

wayn3w
PS.  the real content:  http://www.drinknation.com/rss/

Unfortunately, that feed seems to include just the mixing instructions, not the ingredients.

Duane wrote:

Unfortunately, that feed seems to include just the mixing instructions, not the ingredients.

The Daily Mixed Drink feed has links to the full recipes.  Hmm... maybe it's not the best candidate 'cause it would involve scraping.  I'll ask my bartender friend and get back to this.

Come to think of it, if you guys at Chumby Industries are reading drink recipes on the job, then I want to party with you, cowboy!

wayn3w

where do you keep your chumby? and would you mix drinks there too? there are some who have their's in the kitchen, but a lot are in different places.

by the way, happy 2000 posts Duane! big_smile

I may not know how to code, but I know booze.

There's literally millions of drink recipes and there's nothing authoritative about any of them; at one point I knew five different ways to make a "sex on the beach" and knew at least three names for cognac/chambord.  The last thing I think you want to do is enter in a bunch of content because you will quickly become buried.  Not only that, but you've ceased to become a portal of information and have become its author.

I suppose you could go out and grab a download of a bazillion recipes.  That starts to smack of infringement, though.

Quizengine - you do games.  You do trivia.  Why don't you wander over towards DrinkNation, introduce yourself, tell them what you do, and let them know you're interested in porting their site for The Exciting New Chumby Network?   Bring a Chumbian along with you.  I'll bet there's opportunity for at least two entities to make money.  'cuz really - they've got the RSS feed, they're just not exporting the ingredients for some reason.  I'll bet if they had their logo and their website in the corner of the widget, they'd jump at the chance to play along.

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

Maybe it could be like a drink of the week or day.  There are ridiculous amounts of drinks and one off's and I agree that it could get into infringement.  Hmmm, it just seems so natural.  I move Chumbalya around the house and he does sit on my bar during mixers and parties.

10 (edited by wayn3w 2008-05-15 07:06:52)

According to my barkeep/dsitributor friend, CoctailDB is a great source of tested drink recipes, but alas has no feed.  I think this would warrant writing to the guy and ask him if he'd like to provide one.  I certainly can help with the 'back-end' requrirements if someone can do the flashwork.

The site also has great design elements, too.

11 (edited by readability 2008-05-23 08:39:32)

Project Gutenberg has released a Bartenders Guide
'The Ideal Bartender' http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13487/13487.txt
should be pretty easy to parse that and build up a database.

if you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything

I still think the bar widget / drinks mixer idea is a good one, but editing a book into an XML file isn't my idea of fun...

a little further digging turned up this:
http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/coo … r/bart.xml (firefox complained when trying to open this, so download it by 'right-click > save link as')
http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/coo … ook_70.cfm

which follows a form like this:
<recipe class1="beverages" alcoholic="yes"><p><purpose size="larger" placement="heading">ADMIRAL SCHLEY HIGH BALL</purpose>
<list><item>Drop a piece of Ice into a <implement>High Ball glass.</implement></item>
<item>1 teaspoonful <ingredient>Pineapple Syrup.</ingredient></item>
<item>1 teaspoonful <ingredient>Lemon Juice.</ingredient></item>
<item>2/3 jigger <ingredient>Irish Whiskey.</ingredient></item>
<item>2/3 jigger <ingredient>Tokay,</ingredient> <ingredient>Angelica</ingredient> or <ingredient>Sweet Catawba Wine.</ingredient></item>
<item>Fill up with <ingredient>Apollinaris</ingredient> or <ingredient>Seltzer.</ingredient></item>
</list>
</p></recipe>

looks like some poor undergrad did the painful stuff already..

It would appear that the site in general is a collection of public-domain cookbooks already converted into XML! So all kinds of recipe widgets could be created.

Last edited by readability (Today 17:27:01)

if you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything