Topic: server log file size?

for the chumby server, about how much space do the log files take up.  is it more than 100mb?

Re: server log file size?

If you mean the HTTP server built into the chumby, I don't think it produces any log files.

If you're talking about the lighttpd posted on the wiki, it all depends upon how much traffic for how long - and it can be turned off or routed to /dev/null

is there any particular folder the wiki server log files should be directed to?  I changed it to the usb form dev/null and now my server seems to be mysteriously not working.

You should probably just turn off the logging altogether.

5 (edited by sevc 2008-05-07 16:38:22)

I deleted any reference to the log files, but my server still doesn't work.
firefox gives me this error:

Failed to Connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.103.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
    * Are you unable to browse other sites?  Check the computer's network connection.
    * Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

This is my lighttpd.conf file:

server.modules = ( "mod_cigi")                                                                                                                               
server.document-root = "/mnt/usb/lighty/html"                                                                                                               
index-file.names = ( "index.php", "index.html", "index.htm", "default.htm" )                                                                                 
cgi.assign = ( "/mnt/usb/lighty/cgi-bin")                                                                                                                   
# bind to port (default: 8000)                                                                                                                               
server.port = 8000                                                                                                                                           
mimetype.assign             = ( 
".pdf"          =>      "application/pdf",                                                                                                                 
".sig"          =>      "application/pgp-signature",                                                                                                       
".spl"          =>      "application/futuresplash",                                                                                                         
".class"        =>      "application/octet-stream",                                                                                                         
".ps"           =>      "application/postscript",                                                                                                           
".torrent"      =>      "application/x-bittorrent",                                                                                                         
".dvi"          =>      "application/x-dvi",                                                                                                               
".gz"           =>      "application/x-gzip",                                                                                                               
".pac"          =>      "application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig",                                                                                               
".swf"          =>      "application/x-shockwave-flash",                                                                                                   
".tar.gz"       =>      "application/x-tgz",                                                                                                               
".tgz"          =>      "application/x-tgz",                                                                                                               
".tar"          =>      "application/x-tar",                                                                                                               
".zip"          =>      "application/zip",                                                                                                                 
".mp3"          =>      "audio/mpeg",                                                                                                                       
".m3u"          =>      "audio/x-mpegurl",                                                                                                                 
".wma"          =>      "audio/x-ms-wma",                                                                                                                   
".wax"          =>      "audio/x-ms-wax",                                                                                                                   
".ogg"          =>      "application/ogg",                                                                                                                 
".wav"          =>      "audio/x-wav",                                                                                                                     
".gif"          =>      "image/gif",                                                                                                                       
".jpg"          =>      "image/jpeg",                                                                                                                       
".jpeg"         =>      "image/jpeg",                                                                                                                       
".png"          =>      "image/png",                                                                                                                       
".xbm"          =>      "image/x-xbitmap",                                                                                                                 
".xpm"          =>      "image/x-xpixmap",                                                                                                                 
".xwd"          =>      "image/x-xwindowdump",                                                                                                             
".css"          =>      "text/css",                                                                                                                         
".html"         =>      "text/html",                                                                                                                       
".htm"          =>      "text/html",                                                                                                                       
".js"           =>      "text/javascript",                                                                                                                 
".asc"          =>      "text/plain",                                                                                                                       
".c"            =>      "text/plain",                                                                                                                       
".cpp"          =>      "text/plain",                                                                                                                       
".log"          =>      "text/plain",                                                                                                                       
".conf"         =>      "text/plain",                                                                                                                       
".text"         =>      "text/plain",                                                                                                                       
".txt"          =>      "text/plain",                                                                                                                       
".dtd"          =>      "text/xml",                                                                                                                         
".xml"          =>      "text/xml",                                                                                                                         
".mpeg"         =>      "video/mpeg",                                                                                                                       
".mpg"          =>      "video/mpeg",                                                                                                                       
".mov"          =>      "video/quicktime",                                                                                                                 
".qt"           =>      "video/quicktime",                                                                                                                 
".avi"          =>      "video/x-msvideo",                                                                                                                 
".asf"          =>      "video/x-ms-asf",                                                                                                                   
".asx"          =>      "video/x-ms-asf",                                                                                                                   
".wmv"          =>      "video/x-ms-wmv",                                                                                                                   
".bz2"          =>      "application/x-bzip",                                                                                                               
".tbz"          =>      "application/x-bzip-compressed-tar",                                                                                               
".tar.bz2"      =>      "application/x-bzip-compressed-tar"                                                                                                 
)                                                                                                                                                           

and this is my debugchumby file:

#!/bin/sh
# kill the built-in web server
killall httpd
# start lighttpd
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/usb/lighty/lib /mnt/usb/lighty/sbin/lighttpd -f /mnt/usb/lighty/lighttpd.conf

I deleted anything that I could find in these files that related to logs.
what am I doing worng?

thanks!

EdIt: I changed some stuff at the top of teh config file and it now magically works!  unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what I did to make it work.

also, when I do not specify for the chumby to go to port 80, it gives me the built in server home page with a dead link for wireless stats, but I thought I'd killed athe server?  oh well...