Topic: USB Ir - control devices with chumby?

I have a small USB infra red dongle type thing, which can send and receive infra red data. I also have a number of remotr controlled RGB style LED lights, and media center, etc that could do with some automated infra red control.

I have no idea from the technical point of view as I could write my entire linux knowledge on a stamp, but I think scheduled stuff happening via infra red would be amazing, such as lights fading in as well as alarm in the morning, etc etc. obviously, the IR transmitter would need to be pointed at whatever is to be controlled.

anyway, just a thought. would be amazing if anyone has any comments (or obviously, solutions... hehe).

Re: USB Ir - control devices with chumby?

First things first, I think you should do some google searches to see if your particular USB dongle is supported in linux.  If not, you're going to need to write a driver, and if your linux knowledge fits on a stamp... good luck with that!  If it is supported then you will want to see if you can get lirc (linux infrared remote control) cross-compiled for the chumby using the chumby toolchain.  That will help you use the device.  After that it would be a matter of setting up scripts and/or widgets to control the dongle.

I've had ideas of some sorts of home-automation/home-control uses for the chumby.  I've just been too busy (work, buying a house, expecting first child in June, too many other hobbies, etc.) so I'm getting a slow start to playing with my chumby and learning actionscript/flash.  If you find out your USB gizmo is supported by linux drivers, and works with lirc, post back and there's enough people around here to help you get something (even something basic) working!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Re: USB Ir - control devices with chumby?

I will check that out, I wasn't sure if there was some sort of generic IR driver or something... but thanks for the response! Checking it out now.