Topic: My first experiences.. and suggestions..

Hi!

Hey, I was lucky enough to get a Chumby sent to me from Mr Tomlin. (Thanks!) I wanted to voice a few suggestions and personal experiences.

I understand that I have a development model, and that things are still being worked out.. however I wanted to say a few things and start a dialog about them.

#1) As an animator who uses Flash all the time, the frame rate on the Chumby was a huge disappointment! I understand that it plays Flash Lite, or 6.0, but
I've found that anything I put on the Chumby at the present time, is too geometry / point intensive to play at a frame rate that works for animation. I believe
that if given special care to the most minimal points in a shape, and the fewest shapes on the screen, the unit can do some great things, and even play animation
on the level that the similar Leapfrog "Leapster" does... (15 fps). However, I could only get the Chumby to do about .. perhaps 10- fps? Whoo...

When it comes to playing sound with animation as far as lip synch goes, the Chumby just can't keep up! It would be great to see the ability to "overclock" the
cpu, or even replace the cpu, to allow faster, fluid Flash animation. The closer that you can get to that magic 15 frames per second, the more ability

As it stands, when I squeeze the 'squeeze' sensor.. it takes a while for the unit to respond to the squeeze, and take you to the main menu.

#2) Gadget cycling. It would be great to have control over the length of time each gadget gets displayed. I see the link for the 'favorite' button on the main menu..
I'm assuming this will be a button you hit to keep the current widget on screen permanently, or until the user uses the squeeze sensor to get to the main menu and
bring up the next widget?? The 3-5 seconds each widget stays on screen seems a little too short.

That's it.. You may all begin yellin' in my direction now..

;-)

C

Re: My first experiences.. and suggestions..

1) The Control Panel is currently running at 12fps, whcih is the recommended framerate for FlashLite movies on our CPU type/speed.  Widgets are actually loadMovie'd into the Control Panel to run, and as you know, loaded movies inherit the parent movie's framerate.

We are working on the ability to have the widgets run in their own Player instance, which would allow movies to run at their native framerate.  However, that doesn't magically make the CPU any faster.  It is what it is.

Future chumbys are being designed with a faster CPU.

In the current Control Panel, the squeeze sensor is checked only every half second - the next firmware update will make it check more frequently.

FlashLite 2.x is actually based on Flash 7, not Flash 6.

2) The widgets are actually defaulted to stay up for 30 seconds, including load time.  Some of the widgets cycle internally (changing images or articles) based on their own schedule.  The widget author can control how long their widget stays up.

We've added server and Control Panel support to allow the user to override the author's defaults for the player timing.  We haven't yet exposed that functionality to the web site - we had a meeting on the topic yesterday and have a plan for it, however, the web developer that works on that is currently out sick.

In future versions of the firmware, you'll also be able to pause and resume the widget cycling.

Great! I try to give absolute critical and constructive criticism in my reviews, and I'm glad to see everything has already been addressed. I know Chumby is going to be a huge success with this sort of user input, and direct contact with the user base.

The 'hackable' approach is the coolest.

I'm working on a few art projects just for the chumbysphere. I'll post up a message when I get something new up to look at!

Huge regards,
Chad Essley

Looking forward to it - welcome!